Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Momordica dioica

(1/2) > >>

Chandramohan:
First harvest of M.dioica fruits from my vines.

Caesar:
Those look interesting. What are they like? And how are they used? They look like cucumbers crossed with bitter melon, but I haven't tasted the latter one yet, so I have no flavor reference.

Chandramohan:
These are related to 'bitter gourd', but not bitter at all. I just made a stir fry, after slicing them and removing the seeds, mixing with a little oil, salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Excellent!!

LivingParadise:
Sounds so good... I love bitter gourd! I haven't been successful growing them yet though, but there is an Asian grocery about 100miles away from me where I pick them up sometimes. Actually, I don't find bitter gourd all that bitter either. Maybe it's just the ones I'm eating. They have a nice texture that is not slimy when cooked, a bright mild flavor, and take on the flavor of whatever sauce/seasoning you add so well!

Chandramohan:
LP, if you like bitter gourd, you will love these even better. They are more crunchier than bitter gourd. If you would like I can send you seeds at the end of winter there. When it becomes warm the seeds will sprout and grow into vines and fruit in three months. I also have another species, M.sahyadrica, the photo of which I will post soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version