Author Topic: Mango haul  (Read 6420 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Mango haul
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »

Made it down to Truly Tropical today, fantastic selection: sweet tart, NDM, pineapple pleasure, Carrie, lemon meringue, brahm kai meu, ice cream, mallika, pin saen mun.

-joep450

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango haul
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
Ouch.. a lot if green on those fruit.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 12:56:35 PM »
Nice pick up. Let us know how they turn out. They look pretty green in the pictures but I've had great mangos that were picked mature green.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
Nice pick up. Let us know how they turn out. They look pretty green in the pictures but I've had great mangos that were picked mature green.

Simon

I dont care what anyone says, picking mature green on most varieties,  especially those above, will not give the best the mangoes have to offer.  Seen it and tried them too many times...
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
Yeah, I live an 1.5 hrs north so I'll take what I can get lol. Excited to try pineapppe pleasure finally even though it's been out for few years and probably "old hat" now.

-joep450

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »
Rob, I trust your assessment of the mangos based on the pictures but sometimes that's all people can get. We often run into this issue for our mango tastings when we must pick fruit early in order to get many varieties to ripen within a short window period. I would much rather have a fully tree ripened fruit but sometimes it's the choice between harvested a bit early or nothing at all.

Simon

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Both Truly Tropical and the Zills do a terrible job updating on what varieties they have. While Truly Tropical does post daily updates, half of the varieties Joe picked up weren't on it. The Zills (down the street) haven't updated their Facebook since July 2016. Not a big deal if you live within a couple miles, but for people 40+ miles away it's a gamble to make that drive without having any real idea what varieties they have.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »
Rob, I trust your assessment of the mangos based on the pictures but sometimes that's all people can get. We often run into this issue for our mango tastings when we must pick fruit early in order to get many varieties to ripen within a short window period. I would much rather have a fully tree ripened fruit but sometimes it's the choice between harvested a bit early or nothing at all.

Simon

Problem is that its some pickers' MO to pick fruit green, and many times not mature enough green (wht not just wait a few days ir a week or so and let it properly ripen before picking).  Its no fun to soen a bunch if money for fruit that wrinkles and does nit really ripen and has an unripe chalky,  acidic and almost insipid taste

As for picking for a tasting...well, no reason to pick the fruit as I described above.  All that leads to is people thing the fruit is of inferior quality.  Sometimes you pick fruit in hopes that it will be ready by a certain date and its not.  Just ask Peter, we has many pounds and varieties that we picked for our tasting that we thought would have rilened in time and it just didnt.  Outcome, those fruit were not part if the tasting.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
Both Truly Tropical and the Zills do a terrible job updating on what varieties they have. While Truly Tropical does post daily updates, half of the varieties Joe picked up weren't on it. The Zills (down the street) haven't updated their Facebook since July 2016. Not a big deal if you live within a couple miles, but for people 40+ miles away it's a gamble to make that drive without having any real idea what varieties they have.

Dan, Verna has a phone and she will tell you what is ready any given day by calling...except for Saturdays. 

As for their facebook page, would just be too much of a pain yo keep it constantly updated.   Since they do not strip pick, only the rising of the sun each day will determine what is ready and they do not have the ability to update FB each day.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
Their mangos aren't cheap.  Shame on them for selling such green ones, especially when the owner makes videos lecturing viewers on mango varieties and how to determine their ripeness.
John

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:19:18 PM »
I would never buy green fruit like that and agree with Rob, Unless they were free for the taking and then I would probably say no as well. I got a few free Coconut creams that were green about a week ago, I asked if they were Pineapple Pleasure for that's what they tasted like possibly. lol 

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 07:15:39 AM »
especially when the owner makes videos lecturing viewers on mango varieties and how to determine their ripeness.
Exactly what I was thinking, they do such a great job on the videos. Maybe the greenest ones were accidents/windfalls and on the market for eating green, but some of those don't look near ready to ripen.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
Their mangos aren't cheap.  Shame on them for selling such green ones, especially when the owner makes videos lecturing viewers on mango varieties and how to determine their ripeness.

>:(Shame on the persons who do not know any better & want to blame other people for their problems!!  >:( you should plan accordingly before expecting anything with such high expectations!!! Seriously! How dare you!?!?! Ive know Chris personally for over a year now & just recently in the past few months the Zills, & never EVER has their been an issue with mangos! No one forces you to buy green ones! If thats all that's left because you can't make it during the madness when they open, how is it the owners fault?!? Instead of seeing & understanding that they are smart business owners for utilitizing even their green mangos, you try to take away what you can because you had a bad experience due to your own fault!!! Green mangos have a big consumer following at Truly Tropical (especially Asian market), so before you try to discredit or talk bad about these nice people in anyway (Zills & Chris), get your ass down to their places as soon as they open!!! As far listing varieties that are available, like Rob said you can call the Zills. For TT Chris lists the ones on her website & the ones she does list are the varieties in peak season with the most abundant harvest for that day. If you can't make it when they open & be lucky enough to grab some of the unlisted varieties then why would she list them? To get people's hopes up? & If she has only a few of that certain varieties!?? Come on!! Don't be an ASS!!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:43:12 PM by 561MangoFanatic »
Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 02:37:19 PM »
From Truly Tropical (I go when they open otherwise 4get it)

(Florigon, Lemon Meringue, Dwarf Hawaiian, Choc Anon)

Left 2 Right (Top Row) 1 Sweet Tart from TT (other 3 only ones not from TT) (2nd Row) Coconut Cream, Duncan, Cogshall, Van Dyke) (bottom rows) Lemon Meringue

NDM

NDM

(Dot, NDM, Rosa, Van Dyke, Florigon, Duncan, & LM) (& a Zill from Tropical Acres Farm)
Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
Yeah, I live an 1.5 hrs north so I'll take what I can get lol. Excited to try pineapppe pleasure finally even though it's been out for few years and probably "old hat" now.

-joep450

Glad you stayed positive even with green mangos! Tried Pineapple Pleasure for the first time myself recently & I hope u enjoy it as much as I did! 😁 May be "old" to some but now some green horns like us are starting to try them. Would be willing to help next time you can't make it when they open. You could've gone by Tropical Acres Farms, they have GREAT mangos too!
Sergio

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »

>:(Shame on the persons who do not know any better & want to blame other people for their problems!!  >:( you should plan accordingly before expecting anything with such high expectations!!! Seriously! How dare you!?!?! Ive know Chris personally for over a year now & just recently in the past few months the Zills, & never EVER has their been an issue with mangos! No one forces you to buy green ones! If thats all that's left because you can't make it during the madness when they open, how is it the owners fault?!? Instead of seeing & understanding that they are smart business owners for utilitizing even their green mangos, you try to take away what you can because you had a bad experience due to your own fault!!! Green mangos have a big consumer following at Truly Tropical (especially Asian market), so before you try to discredit or talk bad about these nice people in anyway (Zills & Chris), get your ass down to their places as soon as they open!!! As far listing varieties that are available, like Rob said you can call the Zills. For TT Chris lists the ones on her website & the ones she does list are the varieties in peak season with the most abundant harvest for that day. If you can't make it when they open & be lucky enough to grab some of the unlisted varieties then why would she list them? To get people's hopes up? & If she has only a few of that certain varieties!?? Come on!! Don't be an ASS!!!

I have known Chris for many years, as has otbers on this forum, and it is not unusual for them to sell mangoes ultra green and picked well before their time which only wri kle and rot.  Not bad mouthin9her, just stating a fact.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
I've known Chris for about 7 years and have never had a problem with my purchases.  We don't know (yet) if these fruit were discounted from their regular price or not.  I did buy some relatively green mangoes from here and Zills fruit stand, because I wanted to stretch consumption as long as possible over 3 weeks.  Did not have any significant issues. 

I will add it is easy for consumers to say what producers should do.  Takes almost zero time, expertise and effort.  As for doing it, well walk a mile in their shoes first...reminds me of some old overweight colleagues who were saying what a young fit athlete should have done on a particular play...ironic.

To be sure' I'm not saying Chris is perfect....but who is perfect?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:39:10 PM by Future »

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
I have known Chris for many years, as has otbers on this forum, and it is not unusual for them to sell mangoes ultra green and picked well before their time which only wri kle and rot.  Not bad mouthin9her, just stating a fact.
[/quote/]

I know Rob. In fact I  agree with what you said about flavors being off & mangos not being their full potential when picked even mature green. I too won't buy green mangos personally either but It just pissed me off when OTHERS wanted to bad mouth her for NO REASON whatsoever!!

Like Future said- "I will add it is easy for consumers to say what producers should do.  Takes almost zero time, expertise and effort.  As for doing it, well walk a mile in their shoes first..."
Sergio

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
Hey mango fanatic or whatever your name is. I stated a fact that if their green like that they usually suck. I really did not even pay attention as to who sold them that way and really do not care. What difference would that make ?  absolutely none!!!!, they still would not be representative of what they could have been. And the Zills are very nice people, I have met them, but that has no bearing on it either. So until you say something with substance that can discredit actual facts, close your pipe!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
I read the comments on this thread and it really cracks me up. I really like what truly tropical has to offer, Chris is awesome and a real passionate grower, and the nice patrons I interact with when I am able to get down there. The mangos I selected, some to eat and though this sounds stupid some for the SEED (more on this). Judging by the comments it's not obvious so let me say it's not a representation of every stage of ripeness of what they offer, some were too ripe, but pick your elitist poison when you are able. Some people mail mangos and so they do pick some earlier for this reason yada yada.

The seeds: many have seen the seedling Ivory post but it's gotten me excited to start planting mango seeds again, and so I set off to get some mangos to eat but also picked specimens which were not common or specifically poly seeds that I wanted to plant irregardless of ripeness.

The few times I've gone this year I've bought almost every sweet tart I saw, I've got some great tasting ones and have about 7 poly seeds planted. The BKM in pic likely won't ripen right but it's a Polly seed, which likely not many are planting out. The PSM I bought is a total runt of the PSM's I've seen in past but it was the only one they had and I'm pretty sure it's a poly seed, and who is planting this cultivar out trying to improve upon it?

The experiment is a long term one, but here's how it goes: when poly seeds are planted a few shoots rise up one is a sexual new cultivar while others are clones. When I look at the shoots there seems to be a straggler shoot or two in the bunch that grows much slower, the runts. Avg person might say cull the runts and grow the most vigorous, but I'm going to keep the runts and grow them out anyways and just watch them to see if they have any dwarfing benefit 🤞

Anyways truly tropical is awesome, and offers a huge selection of mangos for sale unlike any of the two tree townhome renting wise crackin mango groupies with a computer key board.

-joep450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 09:45:04 PM »
PSM is poly.  And I am growing it and as many others I can get my hands on.  I applaud your effort.  Just think what came from PPK and the hole in this forum and my top 10 mangoes without it...Keen to see what polys you are growing.

I have learned a good deal from Chris and her generosity is expansive.  All these years I thought Fairchild was polyembryonic, until her recent video.  Today she posted Pickering is poly...which isn't what I thought.  Can anyone else confirm this?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
I read the comments on this thread and it really cracks me up. I really like what truly tropical has to offer, Chris is awesome and a real passionate grower, and the nice patrons I interact with when I am able to get down there. The mangos I selected, some to eat and though this sounds stupid some for the SEED (more on this). Judging by the comments it's not obvious so let me say it's not a representation of every stage of ripeness of what they offer, some were too ripe, but pick your elitist poison when you are able. Some people mail mangos and so they do pick some earlier for this reason yada yada.

The seeds: many have seen the seedling Ivory post but it's gotten me excited to start planting mango seeds again, and so I set off to get some mangos to eat but also picked specimens which were not common or specifically poly seeds that I wanted to plant irregardless of ripeness.

The few times I've gone this year I've bought almost every sweet tart I saw, I've got some great tasting ones and have about 7 poly seeds planted. The BKM in pic likely won't ripen right but it's a Polly seed, which likely not many are planting out. The PSM I bought is a total runt of the PSM's I've seen in past but it was the only one they had and I'm pretty sure it's a poly seed, and who is planting this cultivar out trying to improve upon it?

The experiment is a long term one, but here's how it goes: when poly seeds are planted a few shoots rise up one is a sexual new cultivar while others are clones. When I look at the shoots there seems to be a straggler shoot or two in the bunch that grows much slower, the runts. Avg person might say cull the runts and grow the most vigorous, but I'm going to keep the runts and grow them out anyways and just watch them to see if they have any dwarfing benefit 🤞

Anyways truly tropical is awesome, and offers a huge selection of mangos for sale unlike any of the two tree townhome renting wise crackin mango groupies with a computer key board.

-joep450

So, I guess that makes you a man, or the lead wise crackin mango groupie?  Since my comment was not about you, you should think about the shit you post and who you take wise ass pot shots at. You obviously know more than I do, and many ithers here so I will grab my piece of hay and sit back and chew on it.

What I posted was 100% factual, whether you like it or not, and your original photo just backs up what I have said.  I have thrown out more of the green wrinkled rotten mangoes I have purchased there that you would want to know. They may not all be like that but when you have gotten burned enough times, there becomes a reputation.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »
Nothing worse than a forum member slamming other forum members who are sticking up for all consumers who get taken advantage of, Then using the shame on us line for being straight up honest. Calling that guy a groupie is a gift! but point well made.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
I sadly will not be going back to Truly Tropical. We spent a good chunk of change their earlier this season. I was desperate for mangoes. I actually asked Rob, he forewarned me to watch out they tend to have very green mangoes for sale....... should have listened. People were super nice, but after spending $40 on mangoes, and losing about 30-40% of what we got because it did not ripen kind of stung a little bit.  Have been going to Zills I think this is 3rd year, and have never had an issue with them, have even had Walter tell me sorry nothing else ready, in varities I wanted with tree full of green mangoes tell me they need another week or so.  Only reason I ended up at Truly Tropical was because Zills had a bad early season crop. Luckily they have some already. Made my first trip this week and have had some amazing mangoes finally. Taralay my favorite. And as for shipping, I ship all the time from Zills to friends in other states, Verna helps me pick mangoes that will ripen in the time frame needed to arrive well.  I have not been to Truly Tropical before, so it is a limited opinion, but it was not a great experience with the final product. Is what it is, lesson learned.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »
Hey mango fanatic or whatever your name is. I stated a fact that if their green like that they usually suck. I really did not even pay attention as to who sold them that way and really do not care. What difference would that make ?  absolutely none!!!!, they still would not be representative of what they could have been. And the Zills are very nice people, I have met them, but that has no bearing on it either. So until you say something with substance that can discredit actual facts, close your pipe!

🤣 You obviously misread my post & what I said. & you may not care but that's your opinion.. which bears no weight or "substance" and that's a fact too  ;D Especially when you have no clue & totally missed what was said in the post all together. 
Sergio

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk