Author Topic: Fairchild First Jakfruit Review  (Read 3200 times)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Fairchild First Jakfruit Review
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
I bought a Fairchild First tree at the Fairchild jakfruit festival in 2014. This is the first year it fruited with 5 fruits forming at the base of the tree. The first one just ripened. It went from hard one day to a couple soft spots the next to being completely soft the next day. I should have picked it at the first sign of softness. It was just over 7 lbs and gave around 3lbs of fruit for a yield of around 40%. On the good side latex was low and the fruit separated easily, practically falling off. This made for a super easy and fast cleanup. The negative is that the flesh is super soft basically leaving me with jakfruit soup. This will be relegated to smoothie material. Speaking of soup I may try to make a jakfruit based gazpacho with this. The flavor reminds me of a monstera deliciosa fruit with a pineapple type flavor. I'm not a fan of mushy jakfruit so I may replace this tree. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fairchild First Jakfruit Review
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
Is that even above the graft union or fruit from the rootstock.  At only 3 years old, I would have cut the fruit off whether above the graft or below it.
- Rob

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
That's too bad..maybe you can top work the tree if it does not improve...loops like a small tree to support all that fruit
Www.sailing-charters.org

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
Can you get a picture of the graft. Looks like the fruit is below the graft. A three year old tree that big can hold that fruit.
Mike

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 10:31:10 PM »
Is that even above the graft union or fruit from the rootstock.  At only 3 years old, I would have cut the fruit off whether above the graft or below it.

I think that size/age jackfruit tree can hold the fruit without any problems.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »

I think that size/age jackfruit tree can hold the fruit without any problems.

Not saying it cant but like a 7 gal mango holding fruit, I wouldn't recommend it.  Let the tree grow up for at least another year to strngthen and mature.
- Rob

tanfenton

• United States, FL, Palm City, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »
PurpleAlligator,

Before you give the Fairchild First the ax, would you by any chance be interested in selling me budwood from your tree? PM me if you get the chance! Thanks!

Nathaniel

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »
Fruit is definitely above the graft. And they are the size advertised for this variety.  I'll try the other fruit on the tree before the ax but of course I can give you budwood.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:18:16 PM »
This my second year with this tree fruiting. I will try mature green next. Good flavor but very soft, if not slimy. Hmm, Faux Pulled Pork Jack fruit might be next.
I cant believe that Fairchild Gardens would put their name to this tree with such a disappointing fruit characteristic. Anybody get firm fruit from this tree?

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:27 PM »
I gave mine the ax.

strkpr00

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »
Picked one today, smelled it 10' away, found the soft one and brought it to work, chilled it and finally had a good one. About 10 percent of the seeds were sprouting. So maybe the later crop might be decent.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 12:25:33 AM »
I had a similar experience as described. Mine was growing under the branches of the neighbors’ 2 giant ‘Royal Poinciana’ trees. I was quite fond of that ‘Sweet-Fairchild’ Jackfruit tree. If it wasn’t because the  ‘Sweet-Fairchild’ got destroyed (as a result of the neighbor cutting down his giant ‘Poincianas’ and a Hurricane), I would have never cut it down. But, I have no regrets. I’m glad that those 2 giant ‘Royal Poincianas’ are gone. Now, I’m looking for a Tried & True variety that is Productive and High-Quality as a Replacement..
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

strkpr00

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »
I found dehydrated they are quite good.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
I found dehydrated they are quite good.

Are you Freeze Drying? or using sulfur dioxide? I'm interested in ways to prevent spoilage of a large fruit if there's only a few people to eat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk