Author Topic: Top three Early, Mid & Late Mango Trees for those with limited space  (Read 2799 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Hey Guys

Planning on adding a few more mango trees and would like input on what the top 3 EARLY, MID & LATE mangoes are for those that don't have unlimited space.  From other posts this is what I came up with.  Since this is about trees and not just fruit - fruiting reliability & disease/cold resistance are also factors to be considered.  I already have a mature Carrie & Valencia Pride.

EARLY

1. Edward (Already a lock in on planting this one)
2. Glenn  (Already a Lock)
3. PPK (Already a Lock)

Mid - Mallika

LATE

1. Venus  (I believe Alex has said this was the all-round best tasting late mango)
2. Keitt
3. Lancetilla, Cotton Candy etc.????

Thanks for your help & suggestions.

PS -  If anyone is ordering Mangoes from Alex, his Edward, Malika's, PPK, Glenn & Duncan were EXCELLENT. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:17:52 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
Re: Top three Early, Mid & Late Mango Trees for those with limited space
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »
I wouldn't take one opinion as gospel unless they like the same flavor in a mango as you, it is just too across the board. As far as needing compact, you certainly have a big tree in Valencia Pride and also Carrie. I just yanked my Carrie tree this year after having it in for 22 years. It was 26 ft. wide, that is hardly compact. Also the window of being edible is very short and it is a poor processing mango (freezing) due to it's softer flesh. Once they hit the ground, they are also garbage so you miss so many of them to bruising. They go from green to ready in half a day sometimes, it is a tough fruit to watch and harvest and falls from the tree too easily.
I am pulling my small Cotton Candy I just put in for a Honey Kiss tree due to I think C.C may be too damn sweet. HK is a small tree with late fruit so a WIN WIN. Zills rates Beverly as the best late season cultivar in their opinion but it is a bigger tree and not as late as HK. Venus does not impress me but many like it. HK seems like a fruit that you will not tire of eating either. I replaced Carrie with Phoenix do to it's parentage of Dot, which to me, is about as good as it gets. I have a Peach Cobbler producing now, a decent fruit, but I rate LZ higher as of now but PC is in it's first year fruiting so it might improve a bit. The flavor profile is in your face tangerine. I am a bit overpowered by citrus flavored mangoes in my yard so really wish I had a coconut flavor to offset all the citrus. Just giving you some idea's and think variety can be a good thing. Also how many can you really eat? One Valencia Pride is probably more fruit than you will ever be able eat. Unless you really love that fruit, that tree in my opinion would be yanked for a better flavored cultivar and smaller tree.

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
Im also on SW Florida and i can tell you from personal experience that the Edwards ( which was one of my personal favotites when i lived in Ft Lauderdale) does not do too good tolerating the cold weather here. I reccomend going to FruitScape in Pine Island and talking with Steve, the owner. He is super knolegable of what trees are good to grow in this area. As far as i am concern, for my taste i say:

Early: Angie,

Middle: Nam Doc Mai, or Maha Chanok

Late: Keitt

There are also the new Zill variaties such as coconut cream, Venus, cotton candy etc. they are all great tasting mangoes but i dont know of anyone who has had them fruit in this part of the state.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
Steve at Fruitscapes is a great guy! We talked before how we both don't really care for Mahachanok and NDM, no complexity to the fruit, just sweet, at least here Mahachanok is not complex, they rave on the other coast. Keitt is a good mango in my opinion, may not be as good as some other new releases , but I like it's mellow flavor and a nice change from all the flavor knockouts that can scream at you while eating them. lol Lots of opinions on flavor likings, best to taste before buying if possible.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
And I will add that Angie is highly prone to disease, it would not be on my list!

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
With Angie, i guess it depends where they are grown. here in SW Florida the trees fair pretty well, and the fruits taste good. As far as NDM, or Maha....well, they are loved by many! Including myself. And these trees do grow good in this area. My recomendation is based on seeing which trees do well in this area, and are good to great tasting mangos. Remember, soil and where youre growing them has a lot to do with overall taste, productivity, and the trees growth stability.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
Your statement is ridiculous and you obviously do not know much about said mango cultivars. I have been growing mangoes here for 25 years and am seeing these trees in these same area's of the West coast from Sarasota down to Ft. Myers and do it for a living! Angie is on the lower end on not only flavor which is subjective and not worth discussing  but more importantly disease resistance. Like any mango tree, you can get by, but endorsing a tree with known problems is just plain stupid.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
Hell !! look at the thread about someone wanting to replace his Angie because of disease issues, especially anthracnose. Better start learning before endorsing below average mangoes.

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 02:07:27 AM »
I would recommend Tommy Atkins based on taste alone.  Just kidding dude, please don't call me stupid.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »
Your statement is ridiculous and you obviously do not know much about said mango cultivars. I have been growing mangoes here for 25 years and am seeing these trees in these same area's of the West coast from Sarasota down to Ft. Myers and do it for a living! Angie is on the lower end on not only flavor which is subjective and not worth discussing  but more importantly disease resistance. Like any mango tree, you can get by, but endorsing a tree with known problems is just plain stupid.

There is a nice looking Angie in Naples that appears to be over ten years old.  I sampled fruit from the tree in 2016 and it was delicious! The tree was noticeably compact and looked healthy.  I will say that the younger potted Angies I have grown all seemed to be prone to fungus.  That may more to do with where I was staging them?
- Marley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk