Author Topic: A "must see" when you come to Costa Rica . . .  (Read 3123 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
A "must see" when you come to Costa Rica . . .
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I finally visited with fellow forum member Peter at his truly amazing fruit farm in Puerto Viejo on the beautiful southern Caribbean coast. Living somewhat in the same neck of the jungle, it's stupid of me that I hadn't gone over there to visit before now. Actually though, my first visit with him was shortly after I moved here 18 years ago. During that visit he gave me my first mangosteen to eat. WOW! But, I only got bitten by the tropical fruit growing bug seven years ago after I finally decided to settle down and buy a farm here on the Caribbean slope. Anyway, Peter's place is simply remarkable...along with his equally remarkable knowledge gained by many, many years of growing tropical plants. Finca La Isla is billed as a botanical garden, but it's not like other prim and proper manicured botanical gardens here and elsewhere. It's a true "fruit forest"...or I should say, "fruit jungle". Perfectly natural! In fact you need a guide or I'm sure you'd get very lost. As we rambled and talked along the many rough paths, Peter pointed out each fruit tree along with details about the particular variety, and I was able to see what my plants hopefully will eventually look like. Growing here and there across the large jungle farm were scores of varieties of fruits that Peter raises for market. Visitors can sample whatever is in season. I got to taste a durian....which was the first durian that I ever tried that didn't immediately prompt the gag reflex. It was sweet and "somewhat" edible....so now I can understand how some people can develop a liking for the fruit. (Never me though!) Great place to visit....as is Puerto Viejo which is arguably the most eclectic and unusual town in the country. BTW,  I came away with a nice seedling zapote variety that I hadn't been able to find elsewhere. I plan to go back soon to find some more rarer varieties. That place is a Costa Rican jewel for sure! (Not a paid commercial review...LOL)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: A "must see" when you come to Costa Rica . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
What can I say, glad you enjoyed the visit and look forward to seeing you again over here.  There's lots of fruit right now!
Saludos, Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:26:53 AM »
Everyone who has visited Peter's place has spoken very highly of it. Would love to see it some day also.
Oscar

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 06:34:38 AM »
Hi Peter, tried to msg you, wondered if your pouteria fossicola survived?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »
Hi, never got the message.  Yes, it's planted in a place of honor near some prized pouterias and manilkaras.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 01:18:31 AM »
Awesome. Hopefully I can get there to visit one day. Costa Rica is on my bucket list for a few reasons.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 01:23:04 AM »
I will likely visit CR this year...do drop me a note.  Is there an address or town so I can see where this fits existing itinerary?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
Hi, my project is located by Puerto Viejo, Talamanca. The town is on the Caribbean coast very near the border with Panama. Many tourists visit this area so there's lots of info online about getting here. You can private message me about your visit if it's going to work for you.
Peter

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
Thanks.  Current plans see us in Santa Teresa.  Pacific side.

Keen to know what would be in season in mid October though and any general advice.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:37:02 AM »
Santa Theresa will be at the end of of its rainy season, could be a nice time for there.  However, that area has a pretty brutal dry season with lots of hot, dry wind that doesn't favor most of the stuff I like to grow.  It's generally a good time for fruits, I'd be interested to hear what turns up for you over there.
Peter

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »
Thanks. I will keep you posted.  Not going for fruit but anything we find is a bonus!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
Our visit was great.  Storm Nate preceded us by only a week but no issues while we were there.  "State of emergency" a non-issue....odd flying into one.  As for fruit, I did find rambutans, giant soursop and some interesting passionfruit.  Fresh cacao was great too.  Pineapples for 50 cents...overall I great trip. 

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
When are the durian in season?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
A secondary season for durian is in flower right now.  This is likely on the Caribbean of CR only.  The fruits could start falling late February, we'll see.