Author Topic: Mamey Order from Farm Tropical  (Read 10856 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mamey Order from Farm Tropical
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
I ordered a box of mamey from Farm Tropical (www.farmtropical.com) a few weeks ago and I've been meaning to post a review of my order and the fruit quality. It was shipped USPS and I think I received it the following day. Even though it was not in shipment for very long all the fruit arrived perfectly ripe and if they were in shipment for one extra day they would likely have been over ripe. I think Farm Tropical accounted for short shipping time and included fruit that were riper. It was nice not having to wait a few days after I got the fruit for them to ripen.

I got 5 mameys and one avocado, I am not sure what cultivars they were though. I included a picture of the mamey cut open so maybe someone could identify it. I only made one milkshake and froze the remainder of the fruit. I cut them all open and put the pulp into a few zip lock bags and flattened them so they would be easier to blend later on.

The box came in good condition with no damage to it.

The box opened. Everything was packaged neatly and individually covered in the foam(?) wrapper. Above and below the fruit had paper as cushioning if I remember correctly.

Here is one cut open. Does anyone know what cultivar it is?

I used Noel's recipe to make an awesome milkshake.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:55:25 PM by murahilin »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mamey Order from Farm Tropical
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
Color, IF your picture is accurate, looks too light in color (salmon/orange) for Pantin or Lorito...color-wise looks like could be Pace but kind of "late in the season" for a Pace.  Problem is there are many "less popular" varieties that I am unfamiliar with...
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
It would be a bit more elongated if it was Pace.

Looks like Pantin to me.  Was the color more "reddish" in person?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:27:12 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »
It would be a bit more elongated if it was Pace. Looks like Pantin to me.  Was the color more "reddish" in person?
I have seen both varieties (Pace and Pantin) short and elongated so I, personally, would not go by just shape.  Thats why my comment was to color...and like I also said assuming the color as pictured is accurate and not flash affected to lighten the actual color up...the color just does not look right for the typical Pantin.  Just my two mamey seeds...
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
It would be a bit more elongated if it was Pace. Looks like Pantin to me.  Was the color more "reddish" in person?
I have seen both varieties (Pace and Pantin) short and elongated so I, personally, would not go by just shape.  Thats why my comment was to color...and like I also said assuming the color as pictured is accurate and not flash affected to lighten the actual color up...the color just does not look right for the typical Pantin.  Just my two mamey seeds...

I agree Rob. Definitely did not look like Pantin to me. I actually got a Pantin from Noel about the same time and the Pantin was larger with redder flesh.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »
Could be Danny, Mayapan, or Piloto. I have a document with pics of different mamey cultivars, so I was using that as a reference.

Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
Could be Danny, Mayapan, or Piloto. I have a document with pics of different mamey cultivars, so I was using that as a reference.
Thing is, the mamey Mura received were most likely grown on some type of commercial level...I have not heard of the three you mentioned being grown locally commercially.
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »
Whatever the variety is, it's nice that you were able to order some good quality Mameys. I might have to give farm tropical a try in the future.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »
Fruit and shake look great Mura!  I have some frozen Pantin pulp in the freezer, I need to get blending.

cheers,
-Ethan

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »
Thing is, the mamey Mura received were most likely grown on some type of commercial level...I have not heard of the three you mentioned being grown locally commercially.

What varieties did you heard of being grown commercially in South Florida?   I know pantin and magana are the main commercial varieties. Just want to know if there are any extra cultivars being used for commercial purposes.
Alexi

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »
+1 for Pantin

Nice order Sheehan.  The milkshake looks great.  :D
Adiel

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
Whatever the variety is, it's nice that you were able to order some good quality Mameys. I might have to give farm tropical a try in the future.

You should definitely give them a try. You too could be enjoying a mamey milkshake today!

Fruit and shake look great Mura!  I have some frozen Pantin pulp in the freezer, I need to get blending.

cheers,
-Ethan
Frozen Pantin from Florida?

+1 for Pantin

Nice order Sheehan.  The milkshake looks great.  :D
It was great. I used to think that a mamey milkshake would need a lot of sugar because I didn't like the taste of mamey but I only put about a teaspoon of sugar and it was more than enough.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »

You should definitely give them a try. You too could be enjoying a mamey milkshake today!

Don't have to worry about that. I just got a nice package from Noel today.