Author Topic: What Grafting Can Do  (Read 1541 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
What Grafting Can Do
« on: August 26, 2017, 12:43:22 PM »

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
Re: What Grafting Can Do
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
That is impressive. I have seen those trees with two or three differend apples, heard about friendship trees but would never have thought about how beautiful this could look with different colors.
Everybody I heard talking about grafting more varieties on one tree how problematic it is with different growth rates.
This tree makes me wonder how much growth rate is controlled by the stem it is on and would it be even possible to grow all different citrus varieties on one tree????

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
First time they show the actual tree and not just some render but that didn't seem the 40 one.
By the way I have always wondered with many varieties the tree will get no rest,it will continuously flower and fruit ,won't it stress the tree and die prematurely?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »
Joe Real, who was member on the old forum, and a friend of many of us, had a multi variety citrus tree. The last I heard from Joe, the tree had a 104 different citrus varieties growing on his tree .  Under Joe's care the tree didn't have much trouble, and did just fine.  This tree has been written up in many newspapers, and other publications.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:40:50 PM by Millet »

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »
Any hints where to find info about this tree? Would love to read up on it.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
Another question I have, what would be a good rootstock to graft all different varieties? I assume it would depend on climate and whether in ground or container? For me it is zone 5/6 and in container.
How many grafts ? I assume at one point I can no longer graft on the stem and it would need to go on branches. I think not every one is compatible? Is there a list of rules somewhere that shows compatibility?

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »
I still have a copy of his grafting skills on the tree you are just mention. That was a fun forum, you can pick-up a lot of knowledge from those guys. I still have contact with a couple of the old timers.
Bob.