Author Topic: Avocados for $0.30 a pound?  (Read 2363 times)

VUgearhead

• Curiosity killed the vegan
    • South Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Avocados for $0.30 a pound?
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »
Was just trolling CL and saw an ad where a seller was willing to sell South Florida avocados for 30 cents a pound (150 lb minimum). Would negotiate for even less for larger purchases.

Are South Florida avocados really that hard to unload?
If you can eat it, GROW IT!!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Avocados for $0.30 a pound?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:47:15 PM »
Yes. The packing houses pay the same prices for them as they did 30 years ago.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
Some people grew up with West Indian avocado and still enjoy it

With a plate of garbanzo & rice, milanesa breaded steak....

put some onions, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and squeeze a lime over it.... 

for dessert guava paste with freco cheese

VUgearhead

• Curiosity killed the vegan
    • South Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:33:08 PM »
Man, if I wasn't afraid of puking and crapping green for the rest of the year, I would hit him up!

BTW, that steak plate looks awesome.
If you can eat it, GROW IT!!

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:00:43 AM »

Why am I paying so much for Alvarado if it is so cheap in Florida?  I pay an average if $1.50 for an avocado and we grow a lot of it in San Diego.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »

Just my personal experience.....getting that ridiculous 30 cents per pound is achieved partly by picking them too early/ So they will look nice and shiny in the market for days. But you take it home and it never gets to an edible stage. I have bought a few Florida avo. duds like that.
Trick is at the market shake it around and if the seed is loose and you feel it "rattle" back and forth then it is good. I am sure others without seeds that move around are good but just too be sure.......

Funny story...Me buying Florida avocados at Broward Meat and Fish. An old guy definitely over 75 from Haiti or Jamaica or elsewhere....He had a very strong accent. He was at the avocado bin going on for a few minutes how you pick avocados by the seed rattling around inside. People were listening. I picked a few this way. Then I said   "let me shake one of yours".  I grabbed one of the four he was holding and the seed moved around the most of any I tried that day. I was impressed.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »

Why am I paying so much for Alvarado if it is so cheap in Florida?  I pay an average if $1.50 for an avocado and we grow a lot of it in San Diego.

Because your paying for quality. Eating a WI avocado is like eating the worse Bacon you've ever had . Unless you've grown up eating it and you know how to prepare it and pair it with the right food you will have an unpleasant experience

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »

Just my personal experience.....getting that ridiculous 30 cents per pound is achieved partly by picking them too early/ So they will look nice and shiny in the market for days. But you take it home and it never gets to an edible stage. I have bought a few Florida avo. duds like that.
Trick is at the market shake it around and if the seed is loose and you feel it "rattle" back and forth then it is good. I am sure others without seeds that move around are good but just too be sure.......

Funny story...Me buying Florida avocados at Broward Meat and Fish. An old guy definitely over 75 from Haiti or Jamaica or elsewhere....He had a very strong accent. He was at the avocado bin going on for a few minutes how you pick avocados by the seed rattling around inside. People were listening. I picked a few this way. Then I said   "let me shake one of yours".  I grabbed one of the four he was holding and the seed moved around the most of any I tried that day. I was impressed.

So you like shaking other guy's avocado?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »
There are specific dates and standards for commercial growers in Florida.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/20172018FloridaAvocadoShippingSchedule.pdf

I love West Indian avocados. Dupuis is absolutely delicious. Lots of good ones out there. Lula, Choquette ........

I have a Bacon tree that is fruiting for the first time. It is loaded. I have never knowingly eaten the fruit. I was planning on grafting a few more varieties on it this Fall.
-Josh

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »
There are specific dates and standards for commercial growers in Florida.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/20172018FloridaAvocadoShippingSchedule.pdf

I love West Indian avocados. Dupuis is absolutely delicious. Lots of good ones out there. Lula, Choquette ........

I have a Bacon tree that is fruiting for the first time. It is loaded. I have never knowingly eaten the fruit. I was planning on grafting a few more varieties on it this Fall.

JF was joking but I ate enough Hass and guacamole before moving to FL. I prefer the FL ones. They need salt. For a change - Try mashing up with kikkoman soy sauce and lots of fresh ground black pepper. Diced onion or garlic optional.

Try this - Make a saturated solution with sea salt. Mash up FL avocado with a few teaspoons of this solution. Of course other things can added like onion/ garlic/ pepper/ cayenne etc.

Because your paying for quality. Eating a WI avocado is like eating the worse Bacon you've ever had . Unless you've grown up eating it and you know how to prepare it and pair it with the right food you will have an unpleasant experience

Only reason Hass is so popular is America is brainwashed as far as guacamole. Florida avocados are best served in slices along with a good meal. Yeah I know Latin cuisines jazz them up a bit more.

https://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/03/japanese-style-avocado.html
Japanese Style Avocado ---- They are using Hass but this method will work better with FL avocados due to its lower oil/fat content

1 large avocado
    soy sauce
    olive oil
    toasted sesame oil

1-To make, cut the the avocado in half and take the pit out. Leaving it in the peel, slice into thin strips (being careful not to cut through the peel). Take a large soup spoon and gently scoop the slices out onto a plate. Arrange in a pretty fashion.

2-Drizzle a little olive oil over it, then about the same amount of soy sauce and a small amount of toasted sesame oil. Enjoy.

Variations:

Joel’s Grandma would use Tabasco sauce to add a bite. Sono, his mother would add a light sprinkle of cayenne or a bit of a mild chili powder for the same result. Another delicious option is adding garlic powder as well. They would sprinkle the garlic powder and cayenne on before they drizzled the sauce on. For a gluten free version of this recipe, use Tamari, which is a wheat free soy sauce.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:59:17 PM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk