Author Topic: Krasuey's Sapodilla  (Read 2325 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Krasuey's Sapodilla
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
I've seen a few posts from Australia saying it is everbearing, sweet, and much better than Sao Manilla, etc.

Do you guys have any info on Krasuey's Sapodilla?  Anybody have it?

-Sonny

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: Krasuey's Sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
I've seen a few posts from Australia saying it is everbearing, sweet, and much better than Sao Manilla, etc.

-Sonny

I have read it's from Thailand, that's about it. The supplier here hasn't had it in a while that I know of, would love to find someone with one in their backyard. There are a few weirdly named cultivars here and I wonder if they are just what you have overseas but has been renamed (sad that it happens but true). I have 'tropical' and I can't find much on it either. Pretty much the worst variety name to search for.... 'tropical sapodilla' haha.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:09:54 PM by Ulfr »

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »

-Sonny

I have read it's from Thailand, that's about it. The supplier here hasn't had it in a while that I know of, would love to find someone with one in their backyard. There are a few weirdly named cultivars here and I wonder if they are just what you have overseas but has been renamed (sad that it happens but true). I have 'tropical' and I can't find much on it either. Pretty much the worst variety name to search for.... 'tropical sapodilla' haha.

I thought the same thing.  Is it similar to Silas Woods then?  How big and what shape are the fruit on Krasuey's?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »

-Sonny
I have it. No Krasuey is not everbearing, at least not here. I would not say it is much better than Sao Manila.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:44:46 AM »
I have 2 big krasueies and they bear crop after crop and are nearly everbearing. I have sawp manila and they are good but not as good or productive as krasuey.I had a good size prolific and c55 but they were poorer in many respects and were chopped down. I tried fruit, and checked out the performance  from brown sugar, martin, ponderosa and about a dozen others from Kamerunga Research Station and each of them was either too gritty, unproductive, of poorer taste in my opinion than sawo or krasuey.The krasueys at the momemt have had ripe fruit falling for over 3 months and have fruit at all sizes and there are flowers on as well.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:58:38 AM »
Mike I don't mean to make a crass suggestion regarding Krasuey, but every fruit grower this side of Melbourne is seeking propagation material, including Daleys...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:02:27 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 07:31:14 AM »
I have 2 big krasueies and they bear crop after crop and are nearly everbearing. I have sawp manila and they are good but not as good or productive as krasuey.I had a good size prolific and c55 but they were poorer in many respects and were chopped down. I tried fruit, and checked out the performance  from brown sugar, martin, ponderosa and about a dozen others from Kamerunga Research Station and each of them was either too gritty, unproductive, of poorer taste in my opinion than sawo or krasuey.The krasueys at the momemt have had ripe fruit falling for over 3 months and have fruit at all sizes and there are flowers on as well.

Super interesting Mike. I dont want to go off topic but you may well know, have you heard of 'tropical' and do you know if it is an actual variety name or is it a sales name like 'king thai' mango (mana Chanok).

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 08:48:28 AM »

-Sonny
I have it. No Krasuey is not everbearing, at least not here. I would not say it is much better than Sao Manila.

Oscar, Can you tell us the difference between the two in your experience?  And how do they compare to the more readily available varieties (Silas Woods, Alano, Makok, etc.)?

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »

Mike, Your few posts were about the only info I could find on Krasuey.  Could you tell us a little more about it - taste, tree size, fruit shape, etc.?  Do you have any pictures?