Author Topic: Can cherimoya grow in Vietnam?  (Read 6782 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Can cherimoya grow in Vietnam?
« on: September 16, 2017, 12:57:16 AM »
Hi all,

Have anyone heard of cherimoya growing in Vietnam?  Is this even possible?  I read online that it can be grown in Thailand but that was Wikipedia which I don't believe until I see it.  Please let me know if cherimoya can grow in tropicals and which kind?

Thanks

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Can cherimoya grow in Vietnam?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:06:13 AM »
Yes, for sure. But you need higher elevations. Starting points somewhere 600-700 meters  in tropics far from equator and roughly 1200 meters close to equator like Southern Vietnam. I've been having local Sri Lankan cherimoyas this entire past week even though we are clearly deep in tropics. Main production areas here at 2000 meters. Roughly 6000 feet elevation.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 05:43:17 PM »
Yes, for sure. But you need higher elevations. Starting points somewhere 600-700 meters  in tropics far from equator and roughly 1200 meters close to equator like Southern Vietnam. I've been having local Sri Lankan cherimoyas this entire past week even though we are clearly deep in tropics. Main production areas here at 2000 meters. Roughly 6000 feet elevation.

I wan to try to grow cherimoya in Ho Chi Minh city in a rural area call cu chi.  Please let me know if there are certain variety that can tolerate heat and rainy season.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
There is a city and surrounding region of Dalat in south central Vietnam. The elevation is about 5,000 ft.and would be perfect for growing Cherimoya. I didn't see any growing there, but there are a lot of other cool growing subtropical plants like Strelitzia reginae, cool growing cymbidium orchids, even hydrangeas. At this elevation they have much cooler night temperatures throughout the year that Cherimoya would find agreeable. The landscape in the city reminded me a lot of San Diego!
Bob

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
I agree, I have been to Dalat and its a high elevation city in the mountains. I could see cherimoyas growing there.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »
Dalat is real nice too bad my land is not in dalat.  I'm going to try to grow them in cu chi.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »

I wan to try to grow cherimoya in Ho Chi Minh city in a rural area call cu chi.  Please let me know if there are certain variety that can tolerate heat and rainy season.
No there is not. Try growing atemoyas instead. They are tropical.
Oscar

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »
Atemoyas as we know (cherimoya x sugar apple, not sure of the order here) don't do well in most parts of SE Asia. You don't see them sold anywhere. I suspect that they still need a minimum of elevation. Even atemoya hybrids such as PPC/Nuathong which are around 75% Sugar Apple are not available and farmed everywhere like sugar apple.
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 09:38:20 PM »
Lots of fruits you don't see in Asia. That doesn't mean they can't grow  there. Many south American fruits are totally unknown there. I think atemoyas are worth a try. They grow at sea level here.
Oscar

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
Lots of fruits you don't see in Asia. That doesn't mean they can't grow  there. Many south American fruits are totally unknown there. I think atemoyas are worth a try. They grow at sea level here.

I'm not saying atemoyas couldn't be grown in SE Asia, just that they are not worth the trouble because the requirements are too hard to meet. Growing Australian atemoyas over there is one of my retirement projects a few years from now but I'm not doing it to make profits in the near future but more of a long term research for future viable commercial outlets. I have done some research and trials runs in Cambodia and the results are not really encouraging. My partners have started the same trials in Thailand and we'll know the result in a couple of years at most but again, so far the results are also not very encouraging.
For backyard growers, anything is worth a try as long as you enjoy doing it.
Thera

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
'Arka Sahan', a hybrid between Atemoya and Sugar apple is gaining popularity in South India. It grows and fruit well in tropical lowlands. The flavour is more like Sugar apple with a hint of Cherimoya. The flesh is smooth like that of Cherimoyas having sweet aroma. Fruits weigh about 400g and contain fewer seeds.

BTB, I am growing an El-bumpo seedling in tropical costal area. The 3 year old, 8ft seedling is very healthy and tolerate tropical sun and heavy rain quiet well. The plant drop its leaves twice in an year, although we lack 'too' cold months here. I hope, one day the plant will flower as it go dormant twice in an year.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 12:31:26 AM »
depends where you are located in vietnam? southern and central vietnam it will thrive in the highlands.in northern vietnam say hanoi it can grow in lowlands.apples and pear can grow in hanoi area.also i read in a vietnamese agri forum with the help of google translate coconuts seem to have hard time to fruit in north vietnam due to the cold weather.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 12:38:17 AM »
'Arka Sahan', a hybrid between Atemoya and Sugar apple is gaining popularity in South India. It grows and fruit well in tropical lowlands. The flavour is more like Sugar apple with a hint of Cherimoya. The flesh is smooth like that of Cherimoyas having sweet aroma. Fruits weigh about 400g and contain fewer seeds.

BTB, I am growing an El-bumpo seedling in tropical costal area. The 3 year old, 8ft seedling is very healthy and tolerate tropical sun and heavy rain quiet well. The plant drop its leaves twice in an year, although we lack 'too' cold months here. I hope, one day the plant will flower as it go dormant twice in an year.

Have u try cutting some branches on the el bumpo to see if it will flower?

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 01:16:01 AM »

Have u try cutting some branches on the el bumpo to see if it will flower?
Will cutting branches induce flowering?
As I said, the seedling is about 3 years old only. Cherimoyas will take 4-6 years to fruit, even in temperate regions (am I correct?). So, will wait for a couple years more.
I have chip-budded the El-bumpo to 2 Sugar apple seedlings; planning to bud it on a fruiting Sugar apple, when the rainy season end in December.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 04:32:37 AM »

No there is not. Try growing atemoyas instead. They are tropical.

Agreed Cu Chi is too hot for cherimoyas. Atemoyas will suit better.

If you still prefer cherimoyas and want commercial crops, greenhouses with proper air conditioning will probably work but it is not worth it as the price will be very high.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 02:01:59 AM »
Grow them in Cu Chi Yes. Fruit them No. I was there last winter and it was brutally hot and humid. The leaf eating insects will certainly LOVE cherimoya- thats for certain. Chris
-Chris

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »
If I understand the issue properly, I think that is that same reason that our Florida forum members have with cherimoya.  The tree can grow and grows well in FL but does not bear fruit.  So growing it in Cu Chi will end up with the same problem.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »
If I understand the issue properly, I think that is that same reason that our Florida forum members have with cherimoya.  The tree can grow and grows well in FL but does not bear fruit.  So growing it in Cu Chi will end up with the same problem.

Is this due to the tree not flowering or the fruit can't grow?

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
I have some seeds from fruit I bought on my last trip to Barcelona Spain at the Mercat de la Boqueria.  Two trees sprouted taproots and are anchored in the ground around the pool.  Several fruit have formed over the years but none have achieved mature size.  Basaically forgot they were there under the palm trees.  Will never forget how good the fruit is --- one of the most delicious I've ever eaten.
Dan

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 01:33:49 AM »
I believe it's the lack of winter "chill" that prevents cherimoya from producing fruit Mikey. In SoCal coastal areas we do get somewhat of a "chill" in the winter and thus have success (most of the time). There are of course other factors involved (Heat, dry winds, heavy rainfall etc.) that contribute to successful cherimoya fruits. Chris
-Chris

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 02:59:13 AM »
I believe it's the lack of winter "chill" that prevents cherimoya from producing fruit Mikey. In SoCal coastal areas we do get somewhat of a "chill" in the winter and thus have success (most of the time). There are of course other factors involved (Heat, dry winds, heavy rainfall etc.) that contribute to successful cherimoya fruits. Chris

At what stage is the tropical climate preventing fruit productions in cherimoya.  Is it flowering?  Fertilization?  Fruit maturity? Or is all of the fruit just dropping prematurely?  Or is it infestation? Or is root rot the main cause? Or is the humidity causing fruit spoilage?

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 12:39:58 AM »
Mikey,

According to the information in this link https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/cherimoya.html, cherimoya requires chilling for 50-100 hours to thrive.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 03:37:53 AM »
I think Mikey is waiting for growers in tropical areas to tell him what happens if there's no chill hours. Will it die or just not set fruit.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
I think Mikey is waiting for growers in tropical areas to tell him what happens if there's no chill hours. Will it die or just not set fruit.

Yes.  Please let me know your experiences in Florida.  Hawaii is able to grow them but I do not know if it is at higher elevation where there is chill.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:24:06 PM by Mikey »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:20 PM »

There are cherimoyas growing nicely in Singapore botanical gardens for decades. It is as tropical as it gets at sea level, 100 km from equator. But it does not mean anything because they never fruit.