Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Rootstocks ??

(1/5) > >>

Susanne42:
I was wondering if there is a chart somewhere that list the influence from rootstock to the quality of the fruit?
For example flying dragon is dwarfing but what will it do to the fruit? Why choose Carizzo and not any other variety capable for being rootstock?
The reason I'm asking is some trees need a lot of growth before fruiting. For container not really a good thing. So, I was thinking, what will happen if I use a citrumelo for a lemon to get faster maturity, and then use a mature cutting and put it on tri foliate?
Will the fruit of this new tree have the same characterisiks as the one previously growing on citrumelo?
This are only examples and hoping I explain what I'm asking (sometimes english is not my best especially in a new area)

Millet:
Much of what you want can be done with citrus trees growing in the ground.  However, it is greatly different growing in a container.  It is true that Flying Dragon is a dwarfing rootstock, but a container is just as dwarfing to a tree as a dwarfing root stock and even more, unless you transplant into a larger and larger and larger container.    Grafting on citrumelo and then putting the tree in a container will take away the rapid growth you desire from a rootstock.  My guess is that much of what you want to know about various rootstocks can be found on the Internet, BUT much of what your looking for will not apply to container culture. The best  information on rootstocks (both commercial and new varieties) can be found on the "Florida Citrus Rootstock Selection Guide", published by the University of Florida, but once again applies to in ground trees, not container trees.

Susanne42:
Thank you Millet. I understand influence about growth container or in ground and drarfing to have more trees per acre. But what about fruit quality, taste, sugar content? does that not count for container growth either?

Ilya11:
Here it is ( for those who can read Spanish)

Millet:
Ilya11 your above post is the Spanish version of the University of Florida's "Florida Citrus Rootstock Selection Guide".  The difference between the two is that the Florida Citrus Rootstock Selection Guide, contains more rootstock varieties.   Susanne, fruit quality is always best on slower growing rootstocks. Invigorating rootstocks such as Rough Lemon, volkameriana lemon, and  Macrophylla, generally produce large fruit with low soluble solids and acid content. Less invigorating rootstocks such as many of the trifoliate orange selections and some of its hybrids (citranges & citrumelos) generally produce somewhat smaller fruit, but with higher SSC and TA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version