Author Topic: foliar spray  (Read 7359 times)

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
foliar spray
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
Hi,

I'm just curious if anyone other than me have been using the shamus o'leary foliar feed spray purchased from Jakemace.com. I've been using it for 4 months. Shamus and Jake did a video on this on Youtube.

If not, what do you use for foliar leave feed?

Also, what is a good organic and non organic fertilizer to use? I've been using (non organic) Grow More Water Soluble High Foss (10-52-10) for my trees (longan, carrie mango, wax jambu, avocado, acerola, and atemoya).

Been using it twice a month for past 6 months and so far it's going good.

Interested in what others are using.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: foliar spray
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
It seems like 10 52 10 is opposite of what you would want to be feeding fruit trees on regular basis.  I was under the impression this kind of fertilizer was for stimulating blooms.  Is someone promoting it somewhere online?  There are a few other guys tht mentioned using it also recently.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:44:59 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
Here is a good thread on foliar spraying http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.0

When my trees are holding fruit I use an organic ultra bloom type fertilizer such as 0-10-10 such as this one from EB stone https://www.groworganic.com/ultra-bloom-0-10-10-15-lb-bag.html

I do and have used the chemical ultra bloom to stimulate flowering in my plumeria and other fruit trees but I only use it once during the pre bloom period.

For ground applications I use a combination of Gro-Power premium 8-6-8 Citrus and Avocado combined with controlled release Nutricote 18-6-8. I only recently started using the Nutricote but have seen excellent growth ever since I started. I like the Nutricote because I only need to apply once a year. For the Gro Power, I give very small feedings once a month during active growth.

I usually foliar with Southern Ag Citrus/Palm nutritional spray for the minors and I use Dyna grow foliage pro for an all around balanced foliar. I also use a non ionic sticker, whatever's on sale.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:33 PM »
Here's a few pictures of some plants that started looking really nice and flushing with healthy growth after I started using the Nutricote and other fertilizers. I believe Nutricote made a big difference for me because I'm a busy guy and often skip fertilizer applications. The Nutricote is controlled release and it only makes up about 50% of my total fertilizer input so even if I neglect my foliar or monthly ground applications, my trees are still getting some nutrients from the controlled release fertilizer.
Potted Grafted Lychee and close up

Potted seedling Lychees

Potted double rootstock seedling mango

In ground trees are doing great as well, including this Florida rootstock Lemon Zest tree although it still has lots of issues such as gummosis, multiple cracks in trunk, droopy branches which I pruned off and it only sets nubbin fruit.

In ground seedling mangos

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
I just re read your post and feeding twice a month with 10-52-10 is waaaay too much Phosphorus. Mango trees in San Diego get a strong enough bloom stimulus from the cold weather and if your trees are young, you want them to grow big vegetatively and reach adult size before trying to get fruit. If your trees are mature, drought stress will also help stimulate blooms depending on the species.

Simon

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:50:51 PM »
I use 20-20-20 foliar spray with micros ( Miracle Grow )
I buy it from Diamond R for around $30 for 25 pounds. I also use it as a root drench at
times and have had great results. I also give it to my potted hot pepper and cherry tomato
plants once a week and I have had tremendous results. I pour it on the roots of the peppers
and tomatos.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
Anyone use Bio Forte?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
Here's a few pictures of some plants that started looking really nice and flushing with healthy growth after I started using the Nutricote and other fertilizers. I believe Nutricote made a big difference for me because I'm a busy guy and often skip fertilizer applications. The Nutricote is controlled release and it only makes up about 50% of my total fertilizer input so even if I neglect my foliar or monthly ground applications, my trees are still getting some nutrients from the controlled release fertilizer.
Simon
I've started my planting on very poor sandy soil using only Nutricote and compost with mulch. What I liked about it is the endurance during Florida's rainy season, I'm using a 180 day heat released formula. For small transplants or even seeds you can add a 3-4 finger pinch right under the plant or seed, no threat of burning and if you try with/without you can see a big difference. New fruit trees take a cup right around/under the root ball, it is available when the roots get there. I planted thousands of support plants and 200 trees on an acre for 200 lbs of this at a cost of $1/pound and it worked very well. Actually I've only used 100 lbs so far, and expect the 200 lbs to last me a year.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
Simon
I've started my planting on very poor sandy soil using only Nutricote and compost with mulch. What I liked about it is the endurance during Florida's rainy season, I'm using a 180 day heat released formula. For small transplants or even seeds you can add a 3-4 finger pinch right under the plant or seed, no threat of burning and if you try with/without you can see a big difference. New fruit trees take a cup right around/under the root ball, it is available when the roots get there. I planted thousands of support plants and 200 trees on an acre for 200 lbs of this at a cost of $1/pound and it worked very well. Actually I've only used 100 lbs so far, and expect the 200 lbs to last me a year.
  How would you apply to an existing tree? heap on a spot close by, spread around the base, dig a trench around the trunk and line some in?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:12:58 AM »
Anyone use Bio Forte?

This is highly recommended by some agro guru's ,   a decent foliar fertilizer,  since  I grow in containers I am not trying to get things to grow faster,  but did experiment on my mangosteen,  and they shot out a new flush of leaves within days,  maybe a coincidence but they generally only do that once a year in container , but I would recommend Bio Forte for that.  this stuff is very highly concentrated, just  just 1 or 2 cc per liter,  or about 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. 

http://www.loveland.cl/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/BIOFORTE_FT2015.pdf

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 02:03:53 AM »
The problem with Mangosteen is that its roots are poor. Foliar spray might be the best way to feed Mangosteen.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 03:45:36 AM »
The problem with Mangosteen is that its roots are poor. Foliar spray might be the best way to feed Mangosteen.

Yes it is,  person that recommended this has over 100 mangosteen trees planted,   these stupid plants grow like 1 skinny long tap root,  with very little feeders,  its no wonder they grow so slow.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 06:09:42 AM »
How would you apply to an existing tree? heap on a spot close by, spread around the base, dig a trench around the trunk and line some in?
I haven't used it on any larger trees, on those I'm concentrating on soil building by piling logs between and covering with mulch.
The suggested rate for planting a 15 gal tree is one cup.  For top dressing a 100 gal pot 1-2 lbs. For making potting soil they recommend mixing in up to 17 lbs./cubic yard. So, you can figure out somewhere in between that. On a larger tree I'd probably spread out away from trunk in the feeder root zone out to the drip line, and cover with mulch. 

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »
I bought the fruit trees listed from Ong Nursery in San Diego. I'm still a noob. The owner recommended the grow more bag 10-52-10 (blue crystals) mix with water.

I use about 1 teaspoon with a gallon of water twice a month.

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »
Sounds like i better stay away from the grow more 10-52-10.

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »
What do you guys think about this?

8-3-9 for monthly feed
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/citrusgain-839-fertilizer-blend-p-8288.html

nutricote 18-6-8 feed twice a year
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DFIU3HE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A30NG5LPREVWL0&psc=1

these are based on recommendations from shamus o'leary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vYK9FqrCxE

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:06 PM »
Those look good but too expensive.  Any citrus/avocado/fruit/nut tree food will work in place of the first one.  Try a 20lb bag of gro power avo/citrus from walter andersons in san diego.  You will be getting 10X more plant food for less than 2X the cost.

The nutricote is good but unless you are buying a 50lb bag you are paying too much for it. Get an 8lb bag of osmocote plus on amazon or walmart for 15-20$ instead of 2lb of nutricote for the same price.

Also you dont really need to fertilize when its cold and the plants are slowed down or dormant.  I wont be fertilizing again until trees start flushing in spring. Maybe some osmocote for my potted plants but in ground trees dont need anything for a while it will just get washed out and wasted over the wet cold season.

Are your trees in the ground or in pots?
Brad Spaugh

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
Spaugh, thanks for your comments.

I agree. I was thinking of feeding the trees when spring rolls around. For now just stick with foliar spray that i got from Shamus o'leary from Jakemace.com.

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
spaugh, may i ask what fertilizers do you use and for what trees? Thanks

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 11:07:54 AM »
My trees are in the ground since March 2017.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »
I use the fertilizer that Simon and I suggested.  Gro power citrus avocado fruit 8 6 8 for all my fruit trees.  Its 40% humus which will improve your soil and its got micros and no manures.  Very good fertilizer.  For potted plants osmocote plus.

I have half a dozen citrus, half a dozen guavas, 10 annonas, 25 avocados, 10 mangos, a handful of euginias, 4 bananas, grapes, passion fruit, peach, persimmon, cherry, several apples, nectarine, litchee. Lots of plants, lots of fertilizer.  All of my plants are young as we have only lived here 3 years.

The soil here is decomposed granite.  It drains well and has pretty much no organic matter.  It gets washed out and depleated and needs fertilizer.  Ive seen other soil types in san diego that are a lot more rich.  Member GregA in Ramona has a loamy blackish soft soil and uses only mulch and his chickens poop for his yard and does fine.  He doesnt use any store fertilizer and his trees are all loaded.  The other type of soil you see in san diego usually in housing developments is clay/bedrock where they excavate to make a neighborhood. Its hard (rocks) doesnt drain well and not super rich.  That stuff can benefit from compost/mulch and maybe gypsum.  For your trees to really utilize your fertilizer, they need a decent soil and they need good sun and good watering.  If your plants are sitting in the shade and not getting sun energy, throwing more fertilizer isnt going to make them grow.  If you have the basics (soil, sun, water) met then fertilizer can help.  Otherwise it can be a waste or money or even worse burn your plants.  The place I used to live had poor sun penetration (few hours of full sun per day) and bedrock/clay soil.  Nothing would grow there and fertilizer wasn't going to fix that.  All my trees died at that house.  New house gets full sun and good draining soil, everything grows here. 

Hope that helps. 

Brad Spaugh

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
It helps a lot. Thanks Spaugh.

how often do you apply the gro power? twice a month? Is it better to complement this with twice a year nutricote 18-6-8?

the soil on my property is red/brown clay. I mixed with good draining soil with basalt and lava rock when i planted my trees. My backyard is not huge but it can accommodate 10 to 15 trees. It's all sun on my property which is good for proper micro climate.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »
What I do is plant a tree and then immediately mulch heaily  a big circle around it.  Thats going to break down and get the worms living there and they will start loosening your soil for you and moving the organic matter where its needed. 

Depending on when the tree went in  I do nothing until spring or if its in spring/summer leave the tree alone, no fertilizer for at least a month.  Let the roots get going for a month minimim before using plant food.  If you add a bunch of food and ammendments right in the hole at time or planting, the plant has no reason to root out in search of nutrition.  It will just sit there like a spoiled kid.  Once those things are done and the plant starts to flush, I feed it grow power once a month or so during summer and spring.  I dont measure it or do it on a tight schedule.  I just put a rubber glove one, take a bucket full of GP, turn on the sprinklers, toss a fist full of GP on the mulch for new trees.  For bigger tress use more fistfulls.  Then water it into the mulch using your sprinkler or by hand if you have drips.  Having a sprinkler that wets the surface evenly is going to make your fertilizer more available to the plant.  Since we dont get rain during the hot months the watering setup needs to be so that it can work the food down into the dirt for you.  Good sprayers or mini sprinklers and mulch will keep your fertilizer from offgassing and being wasted.   Button drippers are not effective for working solid plant food into the soil IMO.

If you want to come poke around my place you are welcome to.  I have met a few really nice people who know way more than I do on this forum.  I would really like to meet more folks too.  I cant make it to the crfg meetigs but you could get into that also if your schedule permits.  They have meetings downtown and somewhere in north county. 
Brad Spaugh

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
great info. Thanks again.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
I just re read your post and feeding twice a month with 10-52-10 is waaaay too much Phosphorus. Mango trees in San Diego get a strong enough bloom stimulus from the cold weather and if your trees are young, you want them to grow big vegetatively and reach adult size before trying to get fruit. If your trees are mature, drought stress will also help stimulate blooms depending on the species.

Simon

Yep, high P foods are the most abused and hyped foods out there.  I just ordered a qt. of Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, 9-3-6 off ebay.  That's plenty of P to support blooms which produce based not on label ads and hype but on plenty of foliage and hormonal changes induced by light, temps and such.

All of my tropical trees get a slow release 18-4-9 which is plenty of P.