Author Topic: need help deciding on a citrus tree to plant (Orlando vs mineola Tangelo) or ???  (Read 3034 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
about 20 years ago my dad had the best tasting Oranges I had ever eaten and I grew up in east Orlando with citrus everywhere. However, the county came and took all the citrus trees one day claiming that they had a code enforcement officer who would arrest my dad if he continues to deny them access to the trees. I guess it was due to the citrus Canker scare in the area, they took all the trees in the whole neighborhood. Two weeks later the county abandoned the program.  Any way I finally got him to tell me that it wasn't an orange but an Orlando Tangelo and agree to replant something. I myself would also like something that comes in when all my Mango trees are sleeping.

What would be the top 5 recommendations and why?   My concern is that the Tangelo don't produce very well but man are they tasty.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:35:38 PM by Millet »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
What do you mean that a Tangelo does not produce very well.  They produce great (depending on the grower's care).   My suggestion is the Minneola.  They have assume flavor, very very juicy, and not all that hard to peel.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
I read that they need a pollinator or they wont produce a good crop. Is that not the case.  I wont have any other citrus that will be flowering in close proximity to it.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
They do need a pollinator. Plant a temple also. Fabulous tasting "orange" as well.
Back in the 70s when I was attending MIHS we used to buy minneolas and temples together at the
Pollicichio fruit stand on SR3 north of the barge canal. Wish I still lived there. The fruit
was memorable!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:29:33 PM by mrtexas »

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
I cant tell you anything about Orlando, but i abhore almost all citrus from California as it never tastes good but somehow i am never disappointed with a minneola from there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:32:32 PM by countryboy1981 »

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
I would go with an Orlando myself and put in a pollenizer such as a Sunburst tangerine.

The Minneola is good, but needs more care than the Orlando.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
They do need a pollinator. Plant a temple also. Fabulous tasting "orange" as well.
Back in the 70s when I was attending MIHS we used to buy minneolas and temples together at the
Pollicichio fruit stand on SR3 north of the barge canal. Wish I still lived there. The fruit
was memorable!
I actually live in MI off SR3 about 4 mi south of 520 on plantation rd, across from the old lychee grove. it's a little slice of paradise, that's what got me into Mangos and such. I guess im going to have to plant a temple as well, maybe in the neighbors yard, im out of space.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
I would go with an Orlando myself and put in a pollenizer such as a Sunburst tangerine.

The Minneola is good, but needs more care than the Orlando.
Minneola sounds awesome but I would defiantly go with "easier" to care for as I already have a bunch of needy mango trees lol.

I don't think I have ever had a dooryard honeybell but I know the Orlando's I had as a kid are still stuck in my head. can you elaborate on the downfalls of the Minneola and is a sunburst a better choice than a temple orange and why?
Thank you to everyone  for all the helpful comments.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
was memorable!
I actually live in MI off SR3 about 4 mi south of 520 on plantation rd, across from the old lychee grove. it's a little slice of paradise, that's what got me into Mangos and such. I guess im going to have to plant a temple as well, maybe in the neighbors yard, im out of space.

I remember buying lychees from that grove in the 1970s! Trees were huge then. Plant the temple and minneola in the same hole. Don't think minneola is any harder to grow than orlando. Tastes much richer as well.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
that was my next question. How close does the pollinator need to be? I'll probably plant a 30gl or maybe even a 45gl if they look significantly better. 

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
that was my next question. How close does the pollinator need to be? I'll probably plant a 30gl or maybe even a 45gl if they look significantly better.

Bigger is not better. A 3 gallon will likely outgrow a 30 gallon. You should also consider a sugar belle
as you live in Florida. It is earlier and just as good tasting as a minneola or orlando tangelo. Don't know
about pollinator for it, probably not.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
I ended up getting a 45gl Orlando tangelo and a 30gl temple orange. True that the large potted tree will ultimately be outgrown by a 3gl due to root system issues but I want small mature trees in the long run so I can have more room for other fruit trees. 

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Valencia orange and Temple orange (actually more accurately described as a tangor). Page mandarins (which is actually a tangelo cross) might also be worth considering.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:24:17 AM by SoCal2warm »

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
 I would recommend a Satsuma for early oranges, a navel orange for midseason oranges, and a Valencia for late season oranges. . That would give you citrus from November through June
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
 Or you could substitute a Cara Cara for the navel orange, this would give you midseason citrus and a variety of different flavors
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk