Author Topic: Tree Trunk Protection Methods  (Read 1627 times)

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
Tree Trunk Protection Methods
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
Greetings, I have many trees in ground that are young and need tree trunk protection from the weed whacker. Anyone of you have cost effective methods that are practical and functional? Thanks in advance!
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

echinopora

• View Profile
Re: Tree Trunk Protection Methods
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »
The tree will grow better if you just use a spade and don't allow grass within 2 feet of the trunk, otherwise buy some 4 or 6 inch flexible corrugated drainage, cut a 16" section, split it lengthwise. Fit the pipe over the trunk and wire or zip tie it back together.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »
take the black nursery pots, cut the bottoms out and cut vertically  and wrap it around the base of the tree.

Really good for keeping mulch away from the base and root flare of trees.

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
The tree will grow better if you just use a spade and don't allow grass within 2 feet of the trunk, otherwise buy some 4 or 6 inch flexible corrugated drainage, cut a 16" section, split it lengthwise. Fit the pipe over the trunk and wire or zip tie it back together.
I agree. Most trees will do far better in the conditions they are meant to be in, which is a forest floor situation, not necessarily a grassland. If you plant a tree in competition with grass it will take far longer to extend it's shade line out far enough to dominate the situation. Before planting, establish a 6 ft. diameter of grass free soil, improve the soil if necessary and "hold the line". I've seen otherwise savvy people plant a fruit tree directly into bermuda grass and expect a few inches of mulch to deal with it. All that happened is the mulch fertilizer and water made the grass grow strongly and invade right under the tree. You just know the grass is stealing all the good stuff. At that point it becomes nearly impossible to get subterranean rooting grasses out until they get shaded out. Mind that some grasses have root systems which can extend 1-2 feet underground and persist a looong time.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »
So, I have grass under most of my younger trees, is this a cardinal sin?
I do have a few with a grassless ring but they are farther away from the house.
I keep the grass low should I try to remove? Or let it be since the trees are growing.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
I'd remove all grass a foot or two past the drip line...makes a big difference. .
Www.sailing-charters.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk