Author Topic: Harri Lorenzi Interview about Tropical Fruits in English  (Read 2514 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Harri Lorenzi Interview about Tropical Fruits in English
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
This is a 24 minute interview at Instituto Plantarum botanical garden, located at Nueva Odessa, Campinas, Brazil, on November 10, 2017. The interview focuses on the botanical garden and on tropical fruits. Some questions previously suggested by forum members are included and answered by Lorenzi. In case you don't know, he is the author of Brazilian Fruits and Fruits in Brazil (Frutas No Brasil), as well as a couple of dozen other botanical books. The garden is 25 acres. Though not large the collection is very large. It is also a very beautiful place, and all the plants are very well labeled. Lorenzi was very gracious in giving me a personal tour of the place. Hope you enjoy it! let me know if you have any questions.
https://youtu.be/--UgLFLReC4
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:09:38 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Harri Lorenzi Interview about Tropical Fruits in English
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:39:44 PM »
thanks for sharing Oscar...nice work.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
Thanks so much for the interview Oscar! that's just fantastic! Really thanks for sharing!.F
Federico
Homestead, FL

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »
Thanks Oscar!

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »
That was great Oscar.  I will definitely plan a visit the next time I have a long layover in Campinas.  I frequently fly Azul Airlines and travel through Campinas.  This will be a treat.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
The place is really a gold mine for the rare fruit lover. There are so many great seeds to collect. Members in Florida can fly there in just 8 hours to Campinas. Loranzi told me they are even willing to pick up people from the airport, which is only 40 minutes drive from the garden. The flight is 8 hours, much shorter than going to Hawaii, which from Florida is a 11+ hour flight. The only down side for Americans is that they need to get a Brazil visa. It costs $160, but is good for 10 years. While in Campinas you might also want to visit Helton and Sergio Sartori, the two largest collections of fruit trees in Brazil. Also fabulous places to visit.
Oscar

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »
Fantastic interview and info, thanks sir Oscar!

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
The place is really a gold mine for the rare fruit lover. There are so many great seeds to collect. Members in Florida can fly there in just 8 hours to Campinas. Loranzi told me they are even willing to pick up people from the airport, which is only 40 minutes drive from the garden. The flight is 8 hours, much shorter than going to Hawaii, which from Florida is a 11+ hour flight. The only down side for Americans is that they need to get a Brazil visa. It costs $160, but is good for 10 years. While in Campinas you might also want to visit Helton and Sergio Sartori, the two largest collections of fruit trees in Brazil. Also fabulous places to visit.
Oscar: can you share with us what new seeds you were able to bring back from Brazil and what new fruits you were able to taste or discover? I'm really envious/curious!
Federico
Homestead, FL

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »
Thank you Oscar.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »
The elusive butter ball

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
Oscar: can you share with us what new seeds you were able to bring back from Brazil and what new fruits you were able to taste or discover? I'm really envious/curious!
Will do it later, right now i'm busy planting them all.  8)  Most i won't have for sale, except for 2 exceptions: Jaboitcaba Escarlate and Beach Cambuca, Myrciaria strigipes. Those 2 are available, first come first served. PM me if interested.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk