Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

I confess I am a grafting addict - need 12 step program

(1/4) > >>

Orkine:
This is on the lighter side - Happy holidays (whatever you celebrate)

SO is there a grafters anonymous?
I belong there.

The event that made this clear to me happened yesterday.
I had grafted some mango late (last days or October and some took and some did not.
Some of the ones that did not take off turned brown and have been discarded.
A couple remained green and I continue to hold out hope.
One however was green after 3 weeks plus but the root stock it was on was dying.
So I took it off, cut the scion smaller and grafted it onto another branch.

I know its almost December, has no hope of pushing having likely used all the energy in the wood but I couldn't help it.  I had to try Zill's "bark graft" I had read about int he past week or so and couldn't wait till spring.

So I know I need help and since I am sure many on this forum do too I am safe saying

I am Orkine, and I am a grafterholic  :-\ :)

:)
Enjoy this holiday season.

FamilyJ:
this was first year i started i just like doing it to see if i have the green thumb to take. I have done a lot with mango's, avocado, passion fruit, dragon fruit, Aloe Vera, and jasmines, just a great hobby tried on my Mulberry but haven't been lucky yet but still trying

Orkine:
My first successful graft was a few years ago with avocado and I never was any good with Mango.  Last year something changed and I started getting some success with Mango and I got hooked.

There are experts on this forum who get very high percentage takes on their grafts, I don't think I have ever cleared 50% but I am working on finding my preferred graft technique.

This year I did veneer, cleft even an approach to add second root system to a small tree.

Loving it all.  The anticipation and the joy when it takes.  Priceless.

Looking forward to spring to try some new plants.

561MangoFanatic:
I’m also in my first year of grafting & now have about 50% of mine take lately. Focusing on my cuts instead of where to cut & graft has really helped increase my success. Also whenever I Tip my trees, I usually end up saving all the branches I can so I can utilize as much of the budwood as possible whether I try grafting on my trees or the ones at my parents house. I have yet to try grafting avocados, hopefully at the proper time in 2018!!

9B in Brazil:
I just started grafting 1.5 years ago, starting with citrus.  About 50% took, but later after some of the grafts were over a foot long, the grafts failed, turning brown and died.  Perhaps it is a rootstock/scion incapability, pomelo on tangerine.  In the Spring I want to try avocados and mangoes. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version