Author Topic: Trip to Panama - any fruit ideas?  (Read 2983 times)

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
Trip to Panama - any fruit ideas?
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
I am traveling to Panama in mid December, I’ll only be staying for a few days, but was wondering what tropical fruits would be in season? Any one know of some good orchards or farmers markets? It looks a like I will have missed Ilama snd Sancoya season  :'(
Bob

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Trip to Panama - any fruit ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
Not a great time for fruits. I guess you mean Panama City.  There’s a big botanical garden nearby with some pretty good fruit trees.
A ways to the North here in CR we will have Mamey, sapodilla, salacca at that time.
Good luck.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
Not many fruits in the tropics we have better selection here. Here are some at the plaza

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:10:56 AM »
Not a great time for fruits. I guess you mean Panama City.  There’s a big botanical garden nearby with some pretty good fruit trees.
A ways to the North here in CR we will have Mamey, sapodilla, salacca at that time.
Good luck.
Yes, I am traveling to Panama City, Panama. I'll visit the botanical garden and check out the fruit trees there.  I will also check out the local farmers market in the city and see if they have some of the fruits you mention for sale.  Thanks!
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:20:36 AM »
Not many fruits in the tropics we have better selection here. Here are some at the plaza

Were these at the Plaza - Irvine Farmers Market?  Some day I'll have access to more tropical  fruits....I just have to put the time in like everyone else and in a few years I'll have more back yard fruits.
Bob

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
Guayaba, when I said we didn’t have much what I meant was that we mostly only had that same stuff in your photos.
Peter

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 09:36:48 AM »
Bob
The pix above are from Yucatan now. Our winter crop is more plentiful than the tropics during this time of the year ...... been traveling there for years in winter. If you like bad Mamey, mediocre Chico, jocotes, Black sapote etc you’ll love it. We have all that plus anonas, awesome citrus and avocado. Enjoy your trip to panama

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:37:20 PM by JF »

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »
Bob
The pix above are from Yucatan now. Our winter crop is more plentiful than the tropics during this time of the year ...... been traveling there for years in winter. If you like bad Mamey, mediocre Chico, jocotes, Black sapote etc you’ll love it. We have all that plus anonas, awesome citrus and avocado. Enjoy your trip to panama

Thanks for the input Frank. I can't complain about our citrus, avocados, and cherimoya...one of my favorite times of the year. I am striving to have some similar fruits in my yard that you have....love the pics of the Birulas and Ilamas....great inspiration.  I'll report back on anything interesting I find in Panama. I hope to return to the Yucatan in August of next year.  I haven't been back for a couple of years and I'm looking forward to trying some fruits there again....even if they are mediocre. ;D
Bob

meadlobon

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 04:54:48 PM »
The pictures of these stunning fruits made me want to drop everything and go on holiday immediately. But apart from fruit, I also want to see the country. Beach holidays don't interest me much. I would love to travel around the country, preferably by train, to see different cities. Does anyone have any experience of such a trip? How comfortable are the conditions and convenience of the route? I mostly travel in Europe as I have many relatives there and of course European trains set a high standard, e.g., https://www.dbauskunft.com/de/. I'd like to believe I'm not picky.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:32:47 PM by meadlobon »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 06:02:20 PM »
Not many fruits in the tropics we have better selection here.

I hope you are joking. Ever been to SE Asia this time of year? Davao city? There you’ll find piles of durian, mangosteen and marang at the markets

LousyMyor

• Toronto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 05:45:12 AM »
Wow, cool

felishahenthorn

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »

Spammer
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 02:14:48 PM by JakeFruit »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk