Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Does hybrid citrus come true to seed? (ruby tango)

(1/3) > >>

BonsaiBeast:
I am trying to get my hands on the ruby tango to plant in my yard. The producer 'sunwest' in northern california claims they are the only producer of the fruit outside of Italy, where it originates. However, because of their agreement, they cannot give out graft wood.

My question is: although these are virtually seedless, assuming I find a few seeds, would planting them give me a fruit tree true-to-seed? The ruby tango is a natural cross between the Clemenules Mandarin and the Tarocco Blood Orange.

Millet:
I really don't know about the trueness of the Ruby Tango.  My best guess would be  that it would NOT come true from seed, because one of its parents (clementine) does not come true from seed.

BonsaiBeast:

--- Quote from: Millet on February 20, 2018, 08:48:34 PM ---I really don't know about the trueness of the Ruby Tango.  My best guess would be  that it would NOT come true from seed, because one of its parents (clementine) does not come true from seed.

--- End quote ---

Damn! I seem to be hitting a very unavoidable dead end with my search for the ruby tango...

Badfish8696:
Closest thing for awhile will be the Amoa 8 which UCR will be releasing as budwood soon. It is a cross between Moro Blood and Avana Mandarin, it is seedy. Full profile here:

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/amoa8.html

Not sure when it will be released but it has a much higher chance of happening before Ruby Tango which is for the foreseeable future a private variety. Although we saw what happened with Sumo/Dekopon/Shiranui so there is always a chance.

SoCal2warm:
Seeds from hybrid citrus varieties have a strong tendency to show characteristics different from their parents when they are zygotic (the result of sexual recombination). However, in many citrus varieties (especially many hybrids) the majority or all of the seeds tend to be nucellar (not the result of sexual recombination, and thus genetically identical to the fruit parent).
I believe in this case the seeds are more likely than not to be nucellar, but don't know for sure. Usually most mandarins tend to be zygotic while oranges are almost all nucellar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version