Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Fruiting Chempadak in Florida

(1/2) > >>

Vernmented:
Does anyone know if Artocarpus integer has been fruited in Florida?

murahilin:
There was (is?) a fruiting chempedak in the Whitman pavilion at Fairchild’s. I saw it fruiting a few years ago.

Vernmented:

--- Quote from: murahilin on February 24, 2018, 06:33:11 PM ---There was (is?) a fruiting chempedak in the Whitman pavilion at Fairchild’s. I saw it fruiting a few years ago.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that one.

fruitlovers:
Most chempadek are really delicate and fussy, even here in Hawaii. But there is so much variation that i think one could be found that is as hardy as jackfruit. Just need to keep trying with different types from different sources.

Vernmented:

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on February 24, 2018, 11:58:56 PM ---Most chempadek are really delicate and fussy, even here in Hawaii. But there is so much variation that i think one could be found that is as hardy as jackfruit. Just need to keep trying with different types from different sources.

--- End quote ---

That is the plan Oscar. The initial problem is a very weak root system that leads to damping off. There is likely some sort of microbiome that allow these to thrive early on within their native habitat. I believe I have solved that issue but time will tell. The next step will be finding minimum damage temps next winter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version