Author Topic: Guava mango tree..vigorous or not?  (Read 2730 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Guava mango tree..vigorous or not?
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:14:39 PM »

A question for the experts and for those who have seen the mother tree: How vigorous is the Guava mango tree? And is it medium  sized. I have a 3 gallon tree that I have planted close to my neighbor's yard. It is small but just pushed new growth. Think I should transplant it? Maybe wait for the growth to harden and move it?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Guava mango tree..vigorous or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 03:57:55 PM »
It's fairly vigorous. Best to transplant in the summer.
Jeff  :-)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 06:40:33 PM »

A question for the experts and for those who have seen the mother tree:

A technical footnote: This isn't a Zill bred mango.  The mother tree was under threat from a new road and saved via budwood.  Possible but I doubt anyone here has seen the mother tree.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:29:04 PM »

A technical footnote: This isn't a Zill bred mango.  The mother tree was under threat from a new road and saved via budwood.  Possible but I doubt anyone here has seen the mother tree.

Jeff has it grafted onto one of his trees, a Glenn if I remember right.  He has had it for at least 3 years.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
Mine is shorter than Pickering planted about same time.  It has grown wider than tall.  It had a big bloom frozen off but I cut the dead out and it has since rebloomed through some cool and dry conditions. It looks to be quite precocious.

Shortest by far of my other new planting’s.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
I think it's been closer to 5 years at this point. I cut it back every year.

Jeff has it grafted onto one of his trees, a Glenn if I remember right.  He has had it for at least 3 years.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »

Jeff, has it been productive the last two years? And in terms of vigor, would you put it in the Glenn category?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
The first year (or two?) it bore, production was pathetic. But production has been quite strong for at least 3 years. The increase in production did coincide with starting a fungicide spraying routine, so it's possible that the two events are correlated.

I think it's more vigorous than glenn.

Jeff, has it been productive the last two years? And in terms of vigor, would you put it in the Glenn category?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
Hi Jeff,

what fungicide regime you are employing?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 05:00:40 PM »

I recently bought Kocide 3000 fungicide. Anyone else using it and how good is it?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
I use argifos and abound. twice a year. Also use product called FertAll that has 6 essential elements plus sulphur that has boron as one of the things

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
A rotation of Pristine, Abound, Nordox Copper / Zinc (30/30), Switch, and Nordox Coppper 75 (not in that order) every 2 weeks.

Hi Jeff,

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
A rotation of Pristine, Abound, Nordox Copper / Zinc (30/30), Switch, and Nordox Coppper 75 (not in that order) every 2 weeks.

Hi Jeff,

wow, every 2 weeks? you get rained out so that might be washing it out. that frequent use do you not risk resistance?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »

Hi Jeff,

How long have you been using the Pristine and have you sprayed the Keitt with the Botrysphaerial rot with it?

That and the Abound may be what’s keeping the rot under control on your property. Most backyard growers aren’t going to invest in Strobilurins fortunately. Of course now that I’ve said this I’m sure a bunch of people reading are going to go drop $700
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:27:17 PM by Cookie Monster »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:27:37 PM »
Right. Not your typical dooryard orchard fungicide routine. Your typical backyard grower will nary invest in southern ag liquid copper fungicide -- due largely to the effort involved in spraying.

I had only been using Nordox 75 on the keitt, which helped (I could get a partial harvest vs total crop loss). I ended up cutting the keitt back severely; this is the first time in 2 years that it's fruiting again, so we'll see.

However, I did still get very minor BBS on a few trees with the below regimen. I do use a very light spray. Four gallons of mix (at recommended rate) covers 32 mango trees with the mister.

What's odd, though, is that the other keitts haven't manifested symptoms, even those on neighboring properties (one about 150 feet away) that get zero treatment.

The nice thing about the above products is that they are all either OMRI or Reduced Risk.

Hi Jeff,

How long have you been using the Pristine and have you sprayed the Keitt with the Botrysphaerial rot with it?

That and the Abound may be what’s keeping the rot under control on your property. Most backyard growers aren’t going to invest in Strobilurins fortunately. Of course now that I’ve said this I’m sure a bunch of people reading are going to go drop $700

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk