Author Topic: Relative size between six mango varieties  (Read 6077 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Relative size between six mango varieties
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
These rot and bacterial diseases are definitely not just problems for commercial growers....they actually started out in backyards. People in Manalapan and Hypoluxo, where we suspect the MBBS got introduced and has “built up” the most

As far as LZ’s other noted problems, your typical backyard grower is unlikely to be even spraying sulfur (or copper) and highly unlikely to be applying bags of gypsum to correct their calcium deficiency should they have one ( and are probably just as likely to be creating one with over-applications of nitrogen).

May as well provide help one item at a time....as none want the crop infection to increase...

I. So I'll go with the highly unlikely 1st as it's very simple, relatively cheap, and easy to get and apply as I have often ordered and had it delivered to my home address for "free delivery" with large quantity orders (it may sell out fast if a lot of people read this,,, ha)::: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-30-lb-Soil-Conditioner-Aerate-Soil/50189501    (about  $10/30lb bag)  Sta-Green 30-lb Soil Conditioner Aerate Soil ...Is Gypsum "Calcium Sulfate"... read back by rotating image and then enlarging.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:30:52 PM by palmcity »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
Which bacterias are causing these diseases in Florida? Scientific name I mean

Xanthomonas sp.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »

Xanthomonas sp.

Thank you Alex. Is anybody in Florida trying Bacillus subtilis QST 713 as a bactericide to treat Xanthomonas? Theoretically is among the genera that QST 713 can control.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:15:12 PM by Jose Spain »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »

Xanthomonas sp.

Thank you Alex. Is anybody in Florida trying Bacillus subtilis QST 713 as a bactericide to treat Xanthomonas? Theoretically is among the genera that QST 713 can control.

Yes, a grower I know is trying it along with several other biologicals.

Last year I trialed Bacillus amyloliquefaciens D747 (indicated against Xanthamonas) and it appeared ineffective . It may be that they only offer a modest amount of prevention for this strain, and required application frequency is quite high.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:40:38 PM by Squam256 »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 08:41:26 AM »
Excellent read on mangos.  Not much of this (disease pressures) would apply to me or the hundreds of Texas mango growers but this is great discussion.

Until the freeze my LZ did exceptionally well.  Trunk is still green so there's still hope.  You guys have me scared about LZ's vigor though.

Besides natural vigor one thing not mentioned is internode length that greatly contributes to tree size.  Although my observation was limited (again thanks to the freeze) my Cotton Candy had very short internodes and was tidy in comparison to Pineapple Pleasure which had triple the internode length and grew lanky.

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of citrus being impossible to grow here. It is indeed averse to our high ph soil and has a number of diseases and insect pests, but I think the main reason we don't see them in dooryard situations is because the state came out with chainsaws to destroy them all. I'm back to growing citrus again myself, and it seems that with regular fertilizer application, they can do fairly well.

Grown citrus for decades in high pH calcareous soils.  It's all about your rootstock.  IMO yours should be on Sour Orange, it's a perfect match for your soil profile.  The limiting factor for Sour Orange might be tristeza.   Not a problem in Texas, is a problem in Louisiana.  Citrus likes a 5-1-2 NPK with a good micro hit. 

Mark

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 08:46:42 AM »

Xanthomonas sp.

Culprit of bacterial leaf spot.  Magnabon CS 2005 is apparently a good control. http://www.magnabon.com/diseases-combated

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
A long-running debate in agriculture has been whether well-mineraled plant tissue is more resistant to disease.  Results trials are often not clear-cut.

I favor the claim that improved fertilization, including with Calcium and Silicates and Copper, etc, somewhat improve resistance to disease.  This is something that homeowners are more economically able to attempt with their few trees, than grove owners would be interested in on the massive scale of imputs that they have to provide, to get enough pounds of production to pay all the bills.
Har

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »
A long-running debate in agriculture has been whether well-mineraled plant tissue is more resistant to disease.  Results trials are often not clear-cut.

I favor the claim that improved fertilization, including with Calcium and Silicates and Copper, etc, somewhat improve resistance to disease.  This is something that homeowners are more economically able to attempt with their few trees, than grove owners would be interested in on the massive scale of imputs that they have to provide, to get enough pounds of production to pay all the bills.
Well, Har I am planting 10 Lemon Zest this season. I've been working towards doing what you say anyway. If Zill is discontinuing there may eventually be a shortage of this tasty mango which has a good following so I expect it to be in demand.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
I've watched about 1/2 dozen of my neighbors' mango trees go from healthy and vigorous to declining and eventually dead due to what I believe was a copper deficiency. There is a particular location around the perimeter of our canal where copper seems to be deficient in the soil. I think the trees grow and thrive while there is a sufficient amount of copper, but once it's been exhausted, the trees just decline and die within about a 3 year period. I was able to save one of them with repeated applications of copper (the only one I caught in time and which was easy for me to treat given its proximity to my property). To those of us who know how robust mango trees are, it's quite a shock to see a mango tree die due to nutrient deficiency -- some as large as 15 feet tall.

I've also observed some differences in reaction to cold in trees which are sensitive to it, namely soursop, due to being well fed with potassium (that's my theory anyway). The cold of early spring / late winter 2017 completely defoliated the soursop trees in my area, with the exception of the three on my property, which were fed heavily with potassium and which looked quite well following the cold event. I don't believe it to be the result of other factors (ie, protection from cold, cultivar, etc). One tree, a "sweet" type from Jamaica was totally unprotected, while the mother tree it came from was well a mere 10 feet behind a north facing wind break. The mother tree was not fertilized and looked horrible following the cold event. My unprotected but heavily fertilized tree looked unfazed.

Granted, the above are mere anecdotes, but they do point towards the potential of stress resistance based on mineralization as you've suggested.

Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 02:48:19 PM »
Nice.

I just wrote about silicates on the Mango Problems thread.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk