Author Topic: Why are my Lychee leaves yellow?  (Read 2614 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Why are my Lychee leaves yellow?
« on: March 09, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
As you can see from my below photo, one of my Sweetheart Lychee trees refuses to green up. At first I thought it was lack of water, but heavy watering hadn’t changed it. Then I thought it may have been nutrient deficient so I fertilized with 8-3-9 with micros. The thing flushed out like crazy but leaves cane out yellow and never changed to dark green. Can’t figure it out. My other Lychee trees are all dark, dark green.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:37:58 AM by Johnny Redland »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: My are my Lychee leaves yellow?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:19:22 PM »
I didn't know it was even possible to grow green-leafed lychees in the redlands without heavy foliar micronutrient application. Don from Going Bananas showed me the difference between lychees given regular foliar treatment and those without. The latter group looked horrible.
Jeff  :-)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: My are my Lychee leaves yellow?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:23:42 AM »
I didn't know it was even possible to grow green-leafed lychees in the redlands without heavy foliar micronutrient application. Don from Going Bananas showed me the difference between lychees given regular foliar treatment and those without. The latter group looked horrible.

Well it’s true that a few miles east of us closer to the coast in more sandy/silty soil the Lychee trees look much darker on average, but we still have quite a few Lychee groves out in the Redlands, including a neighbor a few doors down that has about 40 trees and all are pretty darn dark green. And even after my neighbor sold his home about a year ago to folks that don’t really know much about fruit trees, those trees still look pretty amazing. Plus the others in my yard are considerably greener. The tree is the photo is a 4 year old specimen, growing nicely with good branching, I just wish it was more aesthetically appealing

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my Lychee leaves yellow?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
I think it's iron deficiency.
Jeff  :-)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
Check you soil pH. Bahahhhahahahahhahaha. JK I forget the expensive chelated iron everyone uses down there. Get some of that.
-Josh

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
As you can see from my below photo, one of my Sweetheart Lychee trees refuses to green up. At first I thought it was lack of water, but heavy watering hadn’t changed it. Then I thought it may have been nutrient deficient so I fertilized with 8-3-9 with micros. The thing flushed out like crazy but leaves cane out yellow and never changed to dark green. Can’t figure it out. My other Lychee trees are all dark, dark green.

Try doing a soil drench using Sequestrene-138 chelated iron.
Alexi

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »

That's the stuff.
-Josh

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »

Thank you!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »

Thank you!

You're welcome  :)
Alexi

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »
Jonny, sorry I can't help you but I have a sweetheart lychee I bought that looks the exact size, could you tell me how old yours is so I can get an ideal of how old mine is.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »
maybe because it's the winter?  too cold?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 10:03:18 AM »
Jonny, sorry I can't help you but I have a sweetheart lychee I bought that looks the exact size, could you tell me how old yours is so I can get an ideal of how old mine is.

It’s about 4 years old and been in the ground almost 2 years

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk