Author Topic: My new Sweet Tart is full of fruit.  (Read 3468 times)

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
My new Sweet Tart is full of fruit.
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
My new Sweet Tart went in the ground last year.  I has 30 to 40 small fruit now.  Was bought at Excalibur  - 45 gal pot.   Can't wait.
Dan

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: My new Sweet Tart is full of fruit.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:18:43 PM »
That is awesome! Post update pics, I’d be interested in the tree siz vs how many fruit it carries to maturity.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
Good for your new ST tree! It will be a good year in general for Eastern South Florida mangoes. Must be the same for Western South Florida. When I drive around it is very nice to see most mango trees loaded with marble size mangoes or a bit larger.  Some smaller but still there. Now we have to wait.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:39:42 PM by zands »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:47:49 PM »
I’d hate to tell you this but even though you purchased a huge tree, you are best to remove most the fruit. Since your tree has only been in the ground one year, it can probably still use another year to establish its roots into the surrounding soil. Trees grow much faster in Florida compared to SoCal so if you want to intentionally slow down the growth of your tree, you can let it hold Fruit. I know many people in Florida want smaller trees. Anyways, good going and please keep us updated on the progress of your tree and any potential Fruit. Good Choice in picking up a Sweet Tart, definitely a top notch Mango!

Simon

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:41:28 AM »
My new Sweet Tart went in the ground last year.  I has 30 to 40 small fruit now.  Was bought at Excalibur  - 45 gal pot.   Can't wait.
Thats good news!!how is your  carrie mango doing this year?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:56:31 AM »

I agree with Simon, that may be alot of fruit for the young tree to hold although a 45 gal. pot should have a very robust root system.  Being that they're still small it might be wise to drop some.  Your call, and, it depends on the load you think the tree can support which is based on the root mass and canopy mass.   I grow vinifera wine grapes and if you don't have 13-15 green healthy leaves per cluster your crop will not be good.  I almost killed one variety because I didn't drop the clusters the second year it was in.  You can stunt or kill a bearing tree/vine with too much of a fruit load.

Sweet Tart is a delicious fruit, good choice!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:58:38 AM by Mark in Texas »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »
A lot may still fall off and not mature.  It's early.
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 08:44:30 AM »
Good problem to have.

Heavy bloom this year on even the youngest of trees.  Had to cut panicles on some to avoid way too much.

First year fruit set on Pickering, cut panicles. Still too many on tree. 

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »
Good problem to have.

Heavy bloom this year on even the youngest of trees.  Had to cut panicles on some to avoid way too much.

First year fruit set on Pickering, cut panicles. Still too many on tree. 

Let the fruit set first then drop them at pea size.  Like someone said mangos will drop a lot of fruit on their own, same with avocados.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »
It has set fruit and will hang on too long slowing tree down and risk tearing too young limbs off.

Had to tie up the sweet tart as the flower load alone was risky.  Had Fairchild and Young lose a major limb same way.

Still about fifty fruit on and will only let about five mature.

Kathy is first spring in ground and had to cut panicles due to too many flowers on  too  small tree.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »
I don't know about Socal or other locations, but here in South Florida, in over a decade of growing mango trees (about 3 dozen of them), I've never pruned fruit on young trees and it's never been an issue.

While pruning fruit is necessary for some species (eg, Jackfruit -- which will go into decline if allowed to carry too much fruit), mangoes will do one of two things: either they will abort the fruit on their own, or the fruit will turn out small. But neither case presents a detriment to the tree.

My sweet tart did the same thing actually. I planted mine out from a 7 gallon, and within a year, it produced 2 dozen fruits -- all of which I allowed to remain until maturity. The fruit were all excellent, albeit a bit small.
Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Jeff, I’m pretty sure the 45 gallon Sweet Tart can hold some fruit, maybe even a lot of fruit, but I try to look at plants from an energy perspective. Any energy going into Fruit will be that much less energy for root and shoot growth which may be a good thing in Florida.

In SoCal, things are much different and almost all grafted Mango trees will flower and attempt to hold fruit in its first or second year regardless of size of the tree. I recommend removing all fruit from Grafted Mango trees for the first 1-3 years depending on how well it established.

Maybe split the difference and wait for the pea sized fruit, let just a few fruit hold and then remove the rest.

Simon

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
I might be getting a couple sticks of Sweet Tart to graft, then i might get to taste THIS MANGO grown in Arkansas. can't wait. My Atemoya and Jaboticaba are doing great, so! 

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 05:53:24 PM »
I don't know about Socal or other locations, but here in South Florida, in over a decade of growing mango trees (about 3 dozen of them), I've never pruned fruit on young trees and it's never been an issue.

While pruning fruit is necessary for some species (eg, Jackfruit -- which will go into decline if allowed to carry too much fruit), mangoes will do one of two things: either they will abort the fruit on their own, or the fruit will turn out small. But neither case presents a detriment to the tree.

My sweet tart did the same thing actually. I planted mine out from a 7 gallon, and within a year, it produced 2 dozen fruits -- all of which I allowed to remain until maturity. The fruit were all excellent, albeit a bit small.

X2 .  My Pickering is about 4 ft high and probably has set about 100 fruit.  Most likely it will abort 50-75% of those and be just fine.  Let trees do what trees do

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »

The ST is dropping a few tiny fruit a day.   Looks like i'll get aboot 2 or three dozen to mature.  That's fine Can't wait to taste this thing!!!
Dan

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »
Trees have suffered Irma and a half dozen trees blown over.  Freezing temps that wiped out the first bloom.

Weeks of drought with perfect powdery mildew conditions and the latest storms with quarter size hail that knocked off  blooms and put through and through holes in leaves.

If I feel like having to cull fruit at this point , I’m doing ok...

You don’t treat small trees with big fruit the way you do big trees with small fruit.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »

Agreed. Never been an issue..and all those trees have gone on to thrive and then some.
always longing for a JA Julie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk