Author Topic: Is there anything worth doing with coffee berry flesh?  (Read 1366 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Is there anything worth doing with coffee berry flesh?
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
About to harvest some coffee, and I'm wondering... is there anything worth doing with the flesh of coffee berries?  I've sampled them before, and they're... underwhelming.  Sweet, but a leafy taste.  Wondering if there's any application in which they're actually good. Or whether I should just wet ferment the cherries to try to impart a sweeter flavour to the "beans".
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anything worth doing with coffee berry flesh?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
Green coffee bean is among the most potent insulin sensitizers (reduces insulin volume required for a given meal, sparing the pancreas, has many positive health effects) I imagine the berry flesh contributes to this.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
I got wired by eating a bunch of fresh berries from Marks tree. The flesh tastes like sugar water.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:23:16 AM »
I got wired by eating a bunch of fresh berries from Marks tree. The flesh tastes like sugar water.

Simon
You got wired from the sugars, not any caffeine in the fruit pulp.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:24:43 AM »
About to harvest some coffee, and I'm wondering... is there anything worth doing with the flesh of coffee berries?  I've sampled them before, and they're... underwhelming.  Sweet, but a leafy taste.  Wondering if there's any application in which they're actually good. Or whether I should just wet ferment the cherries to try to impart a sweeter flavour to the "beans".
There is a company here making a commercial beverage from juice of the fruit pulp. But they add other ingredients as well to flavor it up.
Oscar