Author Topic: Just tasted my First Coconut Cream of the Season  (Read 4522 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Just tasted my First Coconut Cream of the Season
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
Yes it’s still a bit early, but WOW. Just an amazing creation by the Zill’s. If you don’t have this particular mango cultivar planted out....shame on you

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Just tasted my First Coconut Cream of the Season
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »
That's great news. Hoping mine produces next year, she's growing well.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »
To me they tasted like a southern blush on steroids. So far it's  numero uno in my yard but I havnt had peach  cobbler, cotton candy, Phoenix, M4, or guava yet. Hoping to get to buy some this season if I can time a trip to west Palm just right.

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
Did the squirrels go after the CC much? Mine did not fruit this year so hoping to have a good crop next year.
My lemon zest is doing ok so far, I heard they don't mess with the LZ much. My other trees are getting bullied by those guys.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
To me they tasted like a southern blush on steroids. So far it's  numero uno in my yard but I havnt had peach  cobbler, cotton candy, Phoenix, M4, or guava yet. Hoping to get to buy some this season if I can time a trip to west Palm just right.

I disagree. Southern Blush has a traditional mango taste to it. A ripe coconut cream has absolutely no mango flavor whatsoever. If you were blindfolded and did a taste test, you would never think you were eating mango. This is my opinion of course.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »
Did the squirrels go after the CC much? Mine did not fruit this year so hoping to have a good crop next year.
My lemon zest is doing ok so far, I heard they don't mess with the LZ much. My other trees are getting bullied by those guys.

The one I tasted was from Dr Richard Campbell, he is a nearby neighbor. So I don’t have any squirrel related info. However, my trees flowered poorly this year at around 10-11ft tall, so no fruit set for me either.  My trees, although they all made it, really got stressed from Irma. I was very disappointed to say the least in my crops this year.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »

The one I tasted was from Dr Richard Campbell, he is a nearby neighbor. So I don’t have any squirrel related info. However, my trees flowered poorly this year at around 10-11ft tall, so no fruit set for me either.  My trees, although they all made it, really got stressed from Irma. I was very disappointed to say the least in my crops this year.

You must have gotten a good one from him. The one I ate was probably picked too green and didn’t develop full flavor. I still have mangoes I bought from him last Saturday 8 days ago that I’m waiting to ripen. Including a coconut cream. I have some on my tree I can compare to. I’m waiting for them to tree ripen properly. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 07:41:43 AM »
Usually early season coco cream are bland, and this year is no exception.
Jeff  :-)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »
Is M4 better than Coconut Cream?

John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:00:49 AM »
Is M4 better than Coconut Cream?

Yes. Coconut cream is inconsistent and goes overripe relatively quickly.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »

You must have gotten a good one from him. The one I ate was probably picked too green and didn’t develop full flavor. I still have mangoes I bought from him last Saturday 8 days ago that I’m waiting to ripen. Including a coconut cream. I have some on my tree I can compare to. I’m waiting for them to tree ripen properly.

Yeah, they were picked ultra early. I ended up buying half a dozen and all but the one I ate have yet to fully ripen. Another may be ready by the time I get home today. I know the rains haven’t helped, but the lemon zest I tasted from him (also picked early) was almost flavorless.  I know I can’t really use this occurrence as an example due to the rains and early picking, but every year I become more and more thankful that I planted a PPK rather than the Lemon Zest

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
LZ normally ripen in July / Aug around here. So any LZ eaten now (early June) are early and bland -- compost fodder.

PPK and LZ are nearly identical. There are only 2 substantial differences: PPK is smaller and earlier.

LZ develops a richer ("chalkier") flavor (I think it's due to more calcium?), but the flavor is nearly identical. I think LZ may have higher brix, due to being mid - late in season. The PPK I've been harvesting have been between good and great, with brix in the 16's. LZ, when harvested in season, has brix values above 20. But, typically, early season mangoes taste sweeter. It's not until the season runs on for a month or two that one builds up a "tolerance" to the sweetness, which leaves later season mangoes feeling roughly the same in terms of brix. But the meter does not lie :D.

PPK and LZ should both be planted if you have the space, since their season is completely different.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 01:39:39 PM »
I hear ya Jeff.  The difference in season and size of the LZ is definitely a plus, but I can't deal with the 'chalkiness'...next to the spicy, floral taste and scent of some cultivars like Bombay, Julie, Florigon, etc., chalkiness is my biggest turn off. I have no tolerance for it. But to be honest, I've never noticed that personally in a LZ. 

Jeff, in your personal opinion, would you prefer LZ to some of the other new Zill offerings, such as Cotton Candy, Pina Colada, Pineapple Pleasure, or Fruit Punch ??  Purely on a taste basis....size, production, season, etc. aside.    I'm planning on ripping out a stunted jackfruit tree and replacing it with either a White Sapote or one of the above mentioned mango cultivars.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 02:56:43 PM »
The chalkiness aspect can be mitigated by allowing to ripen further.

I haven't yet had cotton candy, and I've only had a handful of PP and FP. But, LZ would be my favorite of the ones I've tried, with PC coming pretty close to the flavor awesomeness of an LZ.

I assume you already have Sweet Tart. That one is a winner.

I hear ya Jeff.  The difference in season and size of the LZ is definitely a plus, but I can't deal with the 'chalkiness'...next to the spicy, floral taste and scent of some cultivars like Bombay, Julie, Florigon, etc., chalkiness is my biggest turn off. I have no tolerance for it. But to be honest, I've never noticed that personally in a LZ. 

Jeff, in your personal opinion, would you prefer LZ to some of the other new Zill offerings, such as Cotton Candy, Pina Colada, Pineapple Pleasure, or Fruit Punch ??  Purely on a taste basis....size, production, season, etc. aside.    I'm planning on ripping out a stunted jackfruit tree and replacing it with either a White Sapote or one of the above mentioned mango cultivars.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
Yup, ST planted out and looking great.  Only held one mango this year, but its still a small tree.  That one mango is getting HUGE though.  Pina Colada is something I might plant, but from what I've read, I'm going to have to alter the soil quite a bit to keep it happy.  But I may be wrong...only trial and error will tell. 

Thanks Jeff

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
Yup, ST planted out and looking great.  Only held one mango this year, but its still a small tree.  That one mango is getting HUGE though.  Pina Colada is something I might plant, but from what I've read, I'm going to have to alter the soil quite a bit to keep it happy.  But I may be wrong...only trial and error will tell. 

Thanks Jeff

I haven’t done anything special to my pina colada and it’s healthy. In its 4th year it’s holding about 10 small fruits for the first time. From what I understand the fruits are supposed to be small.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »

Thanks Jeff

I haven’t done anything special to my pina colada and it’s healthy. In its 4th year it’s holding about 10 small fruits for the first time. From what I understand the fruits are supposed to be small.

That's good to know.  Maybe I'll throw one on the property as-is. Thanks!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »

wait till you have peach  cobbler, and oh if you can fruit perfect LZ, top notch, my best top two. waiting on my lemon zest seedling to fruit next year, that monster seedling sap smells very strong citrus, I have not smelled anything like it, only if it can duplicate it in the fruit. time will tell.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:29:52 PM by behlgarden »

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 07:47:59 PM »
chalkiness in Lemon Zest is due to improper picking and ripening of the fruit plain and simple. Calcium has nothing to do with it.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
not sure but my family and i didnt like the Lemon Zest mango

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
I am surprised!  my dad did not like mango really, until I introduced that one to him. Now my parents have one and a Dot in their yard. Sorry you didn't like it. Orange Sherbet will change your mind I bet! it is the sister to LZ but amps up the orange flavor.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »

How was it picked (color stage, etc),  how was it ripened and what did it taste like (candy sweet, tart, chalky, etc.)?
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
Right. Stage of ripeness (among other conditions) makes a huge difference in flavor. Really hard to find someone who's tried a representative specimen of Lemon Zest who doesn't rank it among the best they've ever tasted.

On another note, and in reference to OP's thread starting post -- Coco cream is now one of my top 5 mangoes, not just for flavor but for production and disease resistance.

My two coco cream trees have been in the ground for roughly 7 years at this point (pretty sure cc was released in 2011?), and for the first several years, the tree had issues with production -- abscising a good portion of fruit. Further, the flavor was good, but not "great."

This year was completely different, I literally harvested somewhere around 100 pounds of coco cream mangoes from one tree (and a substantial crop from the other). Moreover, the fruit was outstanding in flavor.

So, I think coco cream may  be a tree that wants to mature quite a bit before showing what it's capable of. Really excited to see if this trend of high production and great flavor continues.

How was it picked (color stage, etc),  how was it ripened and what did it taste like (candy sweet, tart, chalky, etc.)?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »
Right. Stage of ripeness (among other conditions) makes a huge difference in flavor. Really hard to find someone who's tried a representative specimen of Lemon Zest who doesn't rank it among the best they've ever tasted.

On another note, and in reference to OP's thread starting post -- Coco cream is now one of my top 5 mangoes, not just for flavor but for production and disease resistance.

My two coco cream trees have been in the ground for roughly 7 years at this point (pretty sure cc was released in 2011?), and for the first several years, the tree had issues with production -- abscising a good portion of fruit. Further, the flavor was good, but not "great."

This year was completely different, I literally harvested somewhere around 100 pounds of coco cream mangoes from one tree (and a substantial crop from the other). Moreover, the fruit was outstanding in flavor.

So, I think coco cream may  be a tree that wants to mature quite a bit before showing what it's capable of. Really excited to see if this trend of high production and great flavor continues.

I have seen the same thing.  My Coco is about 11-12FT tall, has about a 5" trunk diameter, and is really a healthy, well branching specimen.  But this year, it barely flowered and aborted the few fruit it set.  It did put out about 3 substantial growth flushes since flowering back in Jan/Feb, so I can't complain too much.  It certainly grows like a weed.    The tree is about 5 years old now. I'm hoping for a decent crop in year 6.  The fruit is absolutely outstanding.