Author Topic: Capulin Cherry  (Read 6285 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Capulin Cherry
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
One fruit I miss from the States is the common Cherry, they do import them here, but they are a bit expensive.

Barbado Cherries grow well here, but, are no where near the quality of northern varieties,

So I am curious about the Capulin, ( Prunus salicifolia ) I doubt they would be as "good" as a Bing or something like that, but I am wondering if they are better than Barbado ? would be nice if I can make some cherry pies down here some day.

I noticed there are even a bunch of cultivars.

Ecuadorian, Fausto, Harriet, Huachi Grande, Lomeli, and  Werner.

Anyone have experience with capulin? will they grow well in the tropics?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Capulin Cherry
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
One fruit I miss from the States is the common Cherry, they do import them here, but they are a bit expensive.

Barbado Cherries grow well here, but, are no where near the quality of northern varieties,

So I am curious about the Capulin, ( Prunus salicifolia ) I doubt they would be as "good" as a Bing or something like that, but I am wondering if they are better than Barbado ? would be nice if I can make some cherry pies down here some day.

My friend had a 16ft tall tree of Capulin cherry growing in the yard. The tree produced smaller fruit with a good taste. It has to be fully ripe for the astringent taste to go away. The flesh to seed ratio is on the lower side for a cherry (at least with this random seedling). Unfortunately though they decided to chop down the tree, and replaced with a peach (small yard).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »
I got to sample these cherries last year and not impressed at all, though we managed to munch them all because we're all buzzed and nobody else wanted to go get food  ;D
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »

Like i said in another capulin cherry thread, i planted them here, and they fruit, but very little. Lowland tropics you can forget them. I think here they would fruit great at above 2000 ft. elevation. I'm at 650 ft. Also my grafted cultivars turned out to be teeny tiny fruits that always get stolen by birds.
Oscar

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
In the cool central coast of california the capulin is  a fantastic grower and producer.  Not up to Bing standards though. Great fruit for birds.  I planted several trees in Todos Santos (s of tropic of Cancer) and they did poorly, small, small fruits, etc.  Apparently a tree for higher altitudes or cooler climes.  Makes great firewood, grows fast.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
I guess there is no hope for me in this department,  :'(

Oh well, I have my Grumichama, and Jaboticabas to look forward to.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
I guess there is no hope for me in this department,  :'(

Oh well, I have my Grumichama, and Jaboticabas to look forward to.

What elevation are you at? If down low don't waste your time on capulin cherry. Don't forget the rainforest plum, another easy to grow one that produces lots of delicious fruits. Add a cambuca if you can.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »
Is the rainforest plum the same as the "governors plum"?  I have that one, still has not fruited yet. will look into the cambuca thanks.

yeah I am low altitudes, and the couple acres I am trying to get will be also,  great for Mangoes, but probably not for Capulin and some other fruit trees.

UPDATE:

I just looked through your Cambuca thread, wow those look delicious.  and from your description it seems they are. how did you prepare them? you mentioned something about processing them.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:10:08 AM by Tropicdude »
William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 02:14:28 AM »
Is the rainforest plum the same as the "governors plum"?  I have that one, still has not fruited yet. will look into the cambuca thanks.

yeah I am low altitudes, and the couple acres I am trying to get will be also,  great for Mangoes, but probably not for Capulin and some other fruit trees.

UPDATE:

I just looked through your Cambuca thread, wow those look delicious.  and from your description it seems they are. how did you prepare them? you mentioned something about processing them.

William, there is a whole thread also about rainforest plum. Search under Eugenia candolleana. It's very different from governor's plum.
The cambuca is nice right out of hand. Slice in half and scoop out. But because i had so many of them i juiced them. Just put them in a blender, nothing added, nothing taken away. Totally delicious. Everyone i gave it to liked it. We also froze some, also for later juicing or adding to other fruit smoothies. I added some cambuca juice to a mammee apple smoothie that was very nice. Orange on orange.  ;)
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
I will add Cambuca to my collection.  Excalibur has therm listed, so I will probably go for a plant.

Now that Eugenia candolleana I will most likely start by seed. maybe I will get seeds from you when i make that scion order next year, if I do not find them around here,

Big difference in the waiting time, 2 years vs 12 years.  but good things come to those that wait.
William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »
I will add Cambuca to my collection.  Excalibur has therm listed, so I will probably go for a plant.

Now that Eugenia candolleana I will most likely start by seed. maybe I will get seeds from you when i make that scion order next year, if I do not find them around here,

Big difference in the waiting time, 2 years vs 12 years.  but good things come to those that wait.

At your location if you give the cambuca full sun and constant fert. you can get them to start fruiting in 5-6 years instead of 12.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk