Author Topic: Best mango varieties for high rainfall  (Read 7639 times)

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Best mango varieties for high rainfall
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
Pickering is the only mango tree that I've been able to grow successfully on the north side of my house where it stays wet with occasional flooding almost all year since this side gets shaded by the house (not much in the summer) and it's where most of the rainwater gets drained by my house and all my neighbor's houses. This year my 4'x4' Pickering bore 19 fruits even after suffering the impacts of Irma last year and staying in the shade for almost all winter. Best of all, the fruits are never washed out like with other varieties under the same conditions. I recently planted another Pickering and so far so good.

I disagree with your statement above. I have had Pickering for a number of years and this year they were washed out flavor wise with all the rain we had. Some of my Carries had washed out flavor also. But almost every Pickering was sub-par. But I may have also had more rain than your location...

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 09:57:02 AM »
I disagree with your statement above. I have had Pickering for a number of years and this year they were washed out flavor wise with all the rain we had. Some of my Carries had washed out flavor also. But almost every Pickering was sub-par. But I may have also had more rain than your location...

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps it's just my tree. I'm practically on top of the Everglades where we receive daily rainshowers and humidity and heat is higher than coastal areas. One thing I have never stopped doing is fertilizing my trees since Har recommended me the No-Nitrogen Fruit Fertilizer 0-3-16 with Micronutrients.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
Australians think KP is special because it’s what they know and are raised with, and they’re comparing it to stuff like Palmer, Irwin, Keitt et al. 70 year old, long outdated technology.

It’s like existing in 2018 and comparing a sedan built in 1985 with one built in 1945. “Hey look, my ‘85 has air conditioning and an am/fm radio!”

Kensington Pride makes me want to take a nap.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »
People, read the original post...the OP gets in excess of 100" per year.  That FAR exceeds SFla so making comparisons to what does well in a certain yard is senseless.  Just because someone got 15" or so in one month and this is what their mango did, does not have the same effect on triple digit rainfall totals and especially rainfall at times that can hinder fruit set and development.

Also, high inland humidity does not equal significant rainfall amounts.
- Rob

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 01:38:27 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for disease resistant mangoes that fruit well in wetter tropics.  100+ inches rainfall annual east side big island hawaii.. I am growing relatives like odorata and kasturi. So far I have planted brooks late, maha chanok, rapoza, chock anon.  Most all fruits get destroyed by anthracnose on local trees.  Ive seen florigon do well but it is not so great of a mango.  Any suggestions would be most helpful thanks
Adam Crowe
Aina Exotics

In addition to the trees you have listed, I have had some success with Cac.   I have started top working a couple trees over to brooks late as it's a real workhorse in wet summers. My choc anon is still young and hasn't flowered. I have high hopes for Nam Doc based on surrounding farms doing well with it.

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »
Also, high inland humidity does not equal significant rainfall amounts.

Not an expert on that subject, but my perception is that we do get more rain on West Broward than those cities near the coast. I just took a phone screenshot of a Doppler radar app and guess what? All the rain showers are happening right now inland and lots of it on west Broward county.

Somehow attaching the image is not working...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »
Squam if older varieties like the 140 yo KP were obsolete they would be grown so extensively or be in such high demand in Asia as an imported variety there. They outcompete all of the newer Australian varieties and ones brought in as commercial possibles. Pinks Mammonth atemoya gets the same wrap being 150 years old or more and being the original atemoya. Still it is far superior to modern standards like gefner and AP and in high demand in Asia.I have had mostly older Floridian varieties its true but I have never had a good Floridian mango yet with Keitt being the closest to being ok and Irwin perhaps being the most disappoint.
To get back to rainfall, isn't it only Hawaii in the US that gets rainfalls in the 100 to 200 inches a year that we are talking about and Florida is more like 70 inches in the wettest parts?

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »
Cheers for the overview Mike, it had been quite puzzling to me (still is) but all least I have some context to understand it in. I have a recently grafted Orange Sherbet which is suffering some fungal disease while my other 3 (KP derivatives) are fine and thriving. It will be interesting to watch how things progress

Aina Exotics

• Hawaii Island (Big Island)
    • View Profile
    • Aina Exotics
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
I would like to get a hold of the cac mango out here and give it a try, it is good to see its on kauai., havent come across it yet on big i, I appreciate all the good feedback. I wonder if the brooks late would have any influence on fruiting and disease resistance as a rootstock, or if it would be worth choosing better wet climate fruiting varieties as rootstock.  It seems mango rootstock choice has less influence on the grafted tree than some other fruits is this correct? havent come across much research in this field.  I stopped grafting onto the local seedling  mangoes because they are very inconsistent fruiting and anthracnose prone, havent come across much research in this field.

Geeth

• Ceylon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:44:01 AM by Geeth »

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 10:04:21 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for disease resistant mangoes that fruit well in wetter tropics.  100+ inches rainfall annual east side big island hawaii.. I am growing relatives like odorata and kasturi. So far I have planted brooks late, maha chanok, rapoza, chock anon.  Most all fruits get destroyed by anthracnose on local trees.  Ive seen florigon do well but it is not so great of a mango.  Any suggestions would be most helpful thanks
Adam Crowe
Aina Exotics
Neelam fruits can survive heavy rain. If you like its taste you can choose it. In India Neelam is considered bottom tier mango.
One question how is taste of Rapoza? Is it excellent?

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2021, 10:13:29 PM »
Adam Crowe
Aina Exotics
Neelam fruits can survive heavy rain. If you like its taste you can choose it. In India Neelam is considered bottom tier mango.
One question how is taste of Rapoza? Is it excellent?

Agree 100%.
            It was 'Neelam', seven to eight decades ago. Only variety available ( out of scores of other varieties in our grafted mango farm / orchard ) and consumed in the month of August/September during the peak of monsoon season, North of the equator in zone 13. Personal experience.