Author Topic: Mesk: Not looking good  (Read 2765 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Mesk: Not looking good
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
Elsewhere someone note the comment on ftg site indicated Mesk mango trees are "a bit difficult to manage under tropical conditions".  This seems to contradict the "NO ANTHRACNOSE!" pitch by Dr. Campbell and the "bloom and fruit are tolerant of fungal diseases" comment on the link below.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/Fairchilds17thAnnualInternationalMangoFestival/internationalmangofestival/

Well my 4 plants from seed are all struggling with some leaf disease/abnormality.  I was excited to get these poly seeds up but they look as though they will in fact struggle in humid locations.  Egypt must be much drier.

Pictures later.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mesk: Not looking good
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »
Elsewhere someone note the comment on ftg site indicated Mesk mango trees are "a bit difficult to manage under tropical conditions".  This seems to contradict the "NO ANTHRACNOSE!" pitch by Dr. Campbell and the "bloom and fruit are tolerant of fungal diseases" comment on the link below.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/Fairchilds17thAnnualInternationalMangoFestival/internationalmangofestival/

Well my 4 plants from seed are all struggling with some leaf disease/abnormality.  I was excited to get these poly seeds up but they look as though they will in fact struggle in humid locations.  Egypt must be much drier.

Pictures later.

Are you sure they are poly-embryonic seeds? The reason why I'm asking is because if it is actually mono-embryonic, then the seedling would be different than the mother tree. In other words, it might be inferior when it comes to disease resistance compared to the mother tree.
Alexi

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
Yes they are poly.  I was happy to get 4 or 5 plants from one seed.

Pictures later.

Are you sure they are poly-embryonic seeds? The reason why I'm asking is because if it is actually mono-embryonic, then the seedling would be different than the mother tree. In other words, it might be inferior when it comes to disease resistance compared to the mother tree.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »
Another issue is that the root of the Mesk mango tree might not be adopted for our climate/alkaline soil.   What type of soil mix did you use to plant these seedlings?  I suggest trying another experiment grafting that variety onto turpentine rootstock which is well adopted for our soils.
Adiel

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »
He is in Bermuda so its not just soils that may be an issue.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:12:50 AM »
I have used a blend of coco coir, vermiculite, compost and soil.  The other trees are mostly doing fine.  The mesk has major league blackening of leaves tu they are still alive.  Not growing much though.  Others are 2-3 times bigger.  They have been kept in a high humidity greenhouse all winter to protect from high winds and cold weather.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:05:13 AM »
Look under leaves, aphids, scale?

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »
I have used a blend of coco coir, vermiculite, compost and soil.  The other trees are mostly doing fine.  The mesk has major league blackening of leaves tu they are still alive.  Not growing much though.  Others are 2-3 times bigger.  They have been kept in a high humidity greenhouse all winter to protect from high winds and cold weather.

Future, I did not know you where in Bermuda, sorry.  One thing to try, use coarse sand and perlite in your soil mix.  Make sure it drains and aerates well and doesn't stay "mucky".  Also do not add anything high in nitrogen for mangos to your soil mix such as fish fertilizer or fresh compost.
Adiel

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk