Author Topic: The Mangoes of Merritt Island  (Read 16847 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
The Mangoes of Merritt Island
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
murahilin, here's the old article on the Merritt Island mangoes:

http://centralfloridapalms.com/archived/sep2003/mimango.htm

For those who are unfamiliar, Merritt Island is the northernmost part of Florida where mangoes are grown on any kind of commercial scale. They are specifically aided on the southern part of the island by being sandwiched between the Indian and Banana rivers, which has helped protect them some from the periodic freezes we get in Florida.

The grove profiled in the article is the Ensey family grove; there are a number of other growers on the island but the Enseys were the source for most of the cultivars that originated on the island.

link to the cultivar descriptions:

http://centralfloridapalms.com/fruit/mango/mimangovar.htm

This list doesn't include all of their varieties but it has most; they also have plenty of the established old varieties as well that we're all familiar with.

Of those, most are largely unknown outside of Merritt Island, save for Osteen, which became something of a commercial success. The 'Sunset' that originated from the Enseys is not the 'Sunset' that was promoted by Fairchild at the 2010 Mango Festival; its a larger mango with pretty good flavor. The Fruit and Spice Park's 'Sunset' tree is an Ensey Sunset (sometimes described as 'Indian Sunset').

Ed Ensey (man profiled in the article) died in 2008. Fortunately the family seemed committed to keeping the grove in operation and they were still selling in 2009. Haven't been there since that summer though, so perhaps some of the board members from the area can confirm if they are still selling.

Most if not all of the cultivars they have are worth preserving for future generations, and I'd certainly be interesting in growing some of them, so maybe the family would be willing to allow some budwood distributed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:33:07 PM by Squam256 »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: The Mangoes of Merritt Island
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »
I went to visit his grove in May 2008...bought some great mangoes from him, although most at that time were not ripe. He let me buy some anyways... What a super NICE man! He gave my husband and I a wonderful tour of his grove. I still have some pictures...I will cherish the wonderful memories .  He was one of the nicest man I've ever met. I'm so glad we stopped by to see him and his beautiful grove on our way back from Cape Canaveral on vacation. He will be missed.

I hope the family is still selling  mangoes. I wish it was a lot closer too!

Thanks for the post Squam256!

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
I wonder if the Ensey family sells trees as well as fruit.  It would be fun to try one of these varieties, maybe a Cannonball.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
I want to try the royal purple fruit. It looks good. How can I get budwood from those trees?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »
I have a Royal Purple seedling (about 9' tall now...but lanky) in my yard. Ed let me dig up 2 seedlings under his tree several years back...my father has the other seedling tree.  Ed told me he was certain they would come true from seed. My tree has not fruited. The fruit is small-medium, tastes almost exactly like a Concord grape, and is prone to being picked too late (when the fruit is soft it has a tendency to be "fermented"). It is a very good mango if eaten at the right time (I've found it best to eat them when you think it is a "day too early"). The grove has a variety called "Orange Delicious" that tastes very similar to an orange popsicle filled with vanilla ice-cream. It is excellent. That would be a great cultivar to acquire.  Ed truly was a wonderful man...very gentle and sharing. Ever time I would see him I would say "How are you Ed?" and he would reply with a smile "I've got one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel!" 
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:58:14 PM »
I would keep in mind his descriptor - Valencia Pride having a pina colada taste ???
- Rob

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
even though i grow my own i buy some from there every year just because they are unique and its fun to see the trees. we have some gigantic lyeeches on the island also

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
Hi Bluepalm, nice story...if it weren't for you I never would have known about Ed Ensey so thanks  for letting me know about him and his grove. Truly had a GREAT time meeting and visiting him.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »
I go to Toppy's of Merritt Island all the time, he is a good friend of mine (he gave me my big old, Myrciaria trunciflora, which is recovering nicely, and should fruit this year!)

He has some amazing cultivars of longan, lychee, and mango...he's now turning 86 this year I believe, and he still does more work on his grove than one might expect!!!  He is one tough mother ******!  And kind hearted and wise, as well as tough.

Don't neglect to pay his grove a visit in peak season for mangoes (probably a month or so behind up in Merritt Island! which is a plus!!!)  He has an honor system stand outside of his home, right off the 3 (Courtney Pkwy?)...its easy to find.

HAS ANYONE tasted a mango thats fibrous, small, and red....but delicious....called ruby????

It's from that area I believe, and I'd like some scions!  One of the few fibrous and small mangoes I'd search for particularly...I love the small size, and nice flavor!!

THANKS!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »

HAS ANYONE tasted a mango thats fibrous, small, and red....but delicious....called ruby????

It's from that area I believe, and I'd like some scions!  One of the few fibrous and small mangoes I'd search for particularly...I love the small size, and nice flavor!!

THANKS!

There is a cultivar named 'Ruby' that I'm familiar with but it came from Miami and to my knowledge isn't fibrous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_%28mango%29

I remember a guy along tropical trail road on Merrit Island (not Ensey, name was Henry something), who sold a fruit he called "Glenn" that he had named after his son; wasn't actually the mango most of us call 'Glenn'.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
Hey! I'm the author of that Merritt island mango article. I'm glad people are still checking it out. Cut and paste the text and use it as you want as I consider it public domain. 

The ironic thing is I live in Lotus subdivision of M.I. and I don't know any one who owns an Osteen tree other than the Ensey's.  You would think everyone would have an Osteen here.  But, I also don't know every one either.  Maybe I'll go door to door and tell people to skip facebook and register to this site instead!  LOL...

I tasted Osteen when I wrote that article and was very impressed with the fruit. At the time I thought it would make a great commercial variety. Its cool to see that it has become popular elsewhere.  I haven't seen the fruit anywhere since....which is ironic and sad.  Maybe like that wiki says and it grows too big and is not popular with all the mansions that have gone up since the good ole' days!   

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
oops, I meant to post the above on the Osteen mango thread. So here a link to it for archival reasons:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=374.0

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:31 AM »
Great article Dave! I enjoyed visiting Ed Ensey...he was truly a great man and shared so much to us Mango fanatics.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
Dave or ( Anyone with Info )  What places can one visit if driving through the area?  any possibility of buying or getting scions? I would like to get an Osteen don't see anyone listing them in S.Fla.   I might be driving from Orlando to Hollywood in Oct. and I can easily take the "scenic" route.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

jada135

• new york soon to be dominican republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
does anybody got a contact for these mangoes i want to order some.Thanks

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »
Its On My Todo List !
One Of My Favorite Nursery's Is Located In Merritt Island , Tropical Island Nursery , John Realino Is A Great Guy !.
Zone 10

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
does anybody got a contact for these mangoes i want to order some.Thanks

Ensey Tropical Fruit Company
9880 S. Tropical Trail
S. Merritt Island, Florida 32952

321-773-2652
321-205-3122

They have several great varieties found only on Merritt Island.

jada135

• new york soon to be dominican republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 09:48:15 PM »
Thank you duncan young

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 05:03:13 AM »
Varieties I was impressed with at Ensey's grove were Austin, J D Ensey, Osteen, Rutledge and Sunset but I have only tried about a quarter of what they grow.
Richard

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »
Are Ensey's selling fruit right now?    (wondering if being further north shifts their mango season at all)

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
Are Ensey's selling fruit right now?    (wondering if being further north shifts their mango season at all)
Call them.
I called them in April and was told that they would be picking by mid June. Weather can alter their schedule though. Lychees should be ready now and if Ensey doesn't have them there is another grower nearby that will.
Richard

Toni248

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
Will be in the Merritt Island area 2nd week of July - what varieties will be available then and at what cost per dozen?

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »

Our mango's are now just starting to come in. Just give Angie a Call. We just might have a Angie or two left to sell, and a few Maha Chanoks to sell later in the season also. -1 for Nancy      Angie# 321-205-3122

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »

Our mango's are now just starting to come in. Just give Angie a Call. We just might have a Angie or two left to sell, and a few Maha Chanoks to sell later in the season also. -1 for Nancy     Angie# 321-205-3122

Thanks for not forgetting me Joe  ;D!!

Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk