Author Topic: Bunchosia argentea (peanut butter fruit) the real one  (Read 53448 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Bunchosia argentea (peanut butter fruit) the real one
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »
Now that its daylight again I checked mine. I think it has to be the narrower pointy type. Underside I definitely would not call silver. Confusing. Maybe 'Argentea' refers to the emerging leaves not the underside? I think mine must be the same as Joe's middle picture and flyingfoxfruits various pictures.

Its definitely not this http://www.tropicos.org/Image/100413256
Shane

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
I'm definitely at a loss now. Let's assume Armeniaca is rare in cultivation, and none of us have one. Then it turns out Argentea needs to have silvery leaf undersides, and none of us have that either. So the only thing we can agree on is many of us have Glandulifera. The other one, that everyone is calling "Argentea" is something else entirely. Back to the drawing board!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
the pics Aurthur Lee Jacobson posted on his website are of B. armeniaca (his plant from Logees)...that is the only species they propagate.

they are easy to tell apart...argentea has stiff, shiny, elliptical leaves, with round fruits...

armeniaca has flimsy, lanceolate leaves, that are not shiny.

read this from Arthur's article...he states the same thing that I've been harping on for years now(about B. argentea)...

"Bunchosia argentea:

Native in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, the Guianas, Panama, Peru, Venezuela. A Kichwa (Quechuan language variant) name is Wanpula panka. Spanish names include: Ciruela del monte --translating Mountain Plum; and Marmelo. In English, we call it Peanut-Butter Fruit.
    George Don in 1831 wrote that its twigs were minutely hairy; leaves lance-shaped, glandular, and silvery beneath; and that it had been cultivated since 1810. The Latin name argentea means silvery.
    The Flora of Suriname 1976, gives a technical description that I here paraphrase: Small tree [it can reach 65 feet tall] or shrub; young parts and flower clusters densely appressed-hairy; leaves densely silky on both sides, later hairless above; ovate or oblong; up to 16 by 9cm [6.25 by 3.5 inches]; 2(3) glands 1-2cm above the leaf base. Fruit silky.
    Clearly, this species, despite being listed in many books, catalogs and websites, is in fact never cultivated, and plants so-called are really either B. Armeniaca or B. glandulifera. It has hairy fruit. I suspected this, and it was confirmed by the expert botanist Dr. William R. Anderson, of University of Michigan's Herbarium; he is writing a monograph on the genus Bunchosia, and kindly supplied accurate corrections to my first draft of this article."

but, Jacobson is wrong, argentea has been cultivated, it's just not as common, because it doesn't perform as well over a wide range of growing conditions (unlike armeniaca, which can fruit in FL or CA).  I suppose argentea struggles because of low elevation, and high humidity...much like Cherimoya or Lucuma.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:27:40 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Joe's leaves seem to match that description pretty well. Mine however do not have any silvery undersides, contra Jacobson's description. Perhaps a hybrid?
Shane

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2016, 09:34:45 PM »
well, one thing i've learned from this thread, i had no idea there were so many bunchosia species!(thanks Mango Stein for sharing all the links and info)

it's a shame I have lost all interest in this genus!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:39:23 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
Has anyone had extreme chlorosis of new growth on Bunchosia?  All the new leaves for the past few months on one of mine are yellow / silver.

The soil has some peat so it's not a pH issue, at least I don't think.  And I haven't been overwatering.

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »
Is it in fruit right now? Are there any seeds available?

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2016, 07:15:14 PM »

Personally I've never grown this genus because I am in a temperate climate and also want to get the best tasting cold tolerant one. I think Helton once told me B. maritima is the best.

Does anyone know a source for Bunchosia Maritima? On the Bunchosia wikipedia page, it says it tastes like candied pumpkin, which sounds very interesting. I searched the forum and this was the only post to come up, and not much else on the web

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
Has anyone had extreme chlorosis of new growth on Bunchosia?  All the new leaves for the past few months on one of mine are yellow / silver.

The soil has some peat so it's not a pH issue, at least I don't think.  And I haven't been overwatering.
Hey Barath,

I had the County Plant Pathologist look at mine that was in the ground, and the leaves were almost white. She said it was probably the lack of warmth in the soil that was making it so the tree could not take up the proper nutrients.
I then potted the tree up in a container and had fruit the next year. However after the cold winter we had, the leaves turned chlorotic again even in the pot, so I put the plant in a black 15 gallon and it is flowering, and the new growth is starting to come out green. I also have one in my green house that is as green as can be. So I think it is the lack of continued warmth that we lack.

Good luck and PS that Ligularis has done fine planted out side all year long, just a real slow grower.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2016, 01:37:01 AM »

Hey Barath,

I had the County Plant Pathologist look at mine that was in the ground, and the leaves were almost white. She said it was probably the lack of warmth in the soil that was making it so the tree could not take up the proper nutrients.
I then potted the tree up in a container and had fruit the next year. However after the cold winter we had, the leaves turned chlorotic again even in the pot, so I put the plant in a black 15 gallon and it is flowering, and the new growth is starting to come out green. I also have one in my green house that is as green as can be. So I think it is the lack of continued warmth that we lack.

Good luck and PS that Ligularis has done fine planted out side all year long, just a real slow grower.

Thanks Mark!  Well, if it's struggling to get enough warmth for you, then it's definitely going to struggle for me.  I do have it in a black 15 gallon pot, but it's only getting half day sun.  I'll put it in the warmest spot I have and see how it does.  I wonder if I can trick it somehow, maybe by making the soil super acidic.

And great to hear about the P. ligularis.  It seems to grow slowly for me when it gets sun, but when it gets lots of water and is mostly in the shade with something to climb on, it grows fast.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2016, 04:55:41 PM »
A Peruvian guy a few weeks ago uploaded a video on Bunchosia Armeniaca. As you will observe, the leaves do not have wavy edges, but are long and flat. This is correct ID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKCPHzSyz0s
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
As my plants have filled out, the one I planted in the ground has turned out to have wavy leaves, and is identitcal to the "Bunchosia armeniaca" that I got from Logee's. This is the one on the bottom of the photo I posted above. The one I kept in a pot (middle of photo) is definitely different, though.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »
A Peruvian guy a few weeks ago uploaded a video on Bunchosia Armeniaca. As you will observe, the leaves do not have wavy edges, but are long and flat. This is correct ID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKCPHzSyz0s

the tree in the video is what the experts call B. argentea.  It grows well in FL, but I've never seen the flowers set fruits.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »
Got some new growth on my tree.

It looks similar to joe's 2nd picture. Joe states that his leaf undersides are smooth. Mine are also smooth and shiny as you can see in the picture.

Is it possible that the "leaves densely silky on both sides, later hairless above" is a mistake and that they are in fact silky on the top only and later smooth? Or is it more likely that we are growing a different species or hybrid? In all other regards it matches the Argentea description.

Btw, this is as far as my fruits are getting. Then they shrivel up and drop:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:01:46 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »
@shaneeatwell

As you know, my position is that you are growing B. armeniaca there next to your pool and B. argentea should look like http://www.tropicos.org/Name/19501436?tab=images.
A Peruvian blog has a lot of information on the species you have, whatever it is (they call it B armeniaca) and sure enough a comment on there said the fruit are wilting. In my opinion, this species is self-sterile, so cross-pollination is your issue. If yours is flowering now, it would be a good experiment to get some pollen from another tree in the neighborhood (any Bunchosia should work) and dab it on the flowers of one side of your tree (to see what the difference is). I reckon you will get a fruit set (that goes from green straight to red). http://biomiof.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/fig.html

I'm attaching as an image the text from W. R. Anderson’s chapter on the Malpighiaceae for the "Flora of the Venezuelan Guayana," ed. P. E. Berry, K. Yatskievych, and B. K. Holst, vol. 6, pp. 82–185.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:58:06 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »
The one I'm growing is Bunchosia glandulifera
It's been doing super well here in northeast Florida, seems to like shade and water more,  it's only a little over a year old from seed and pushing 4 feet tall I'll be putting it in the ground soon
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »

My last trip to fruit and spicy park. What they have there is the armenia.
I didn t know that difference
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »
Thanks Mango Stein. I'll give it a shot. Need to find a donor. Also will talk to Ben about it. See what could be pollinating the mother tree.

I read those links and mine sure does look like the Armenians and not the argentea.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:10:51 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
More pictures of B. armeniaca, from Los Angeles County Arboretum circa 2007. This is what mine looks like, flowers and leaves. Not fruit yet though.

http://www.calflora.net/losangelesarboretum/whatsbloomingmay07J.html
Shane

ChristineMessner

• ChristineMessner
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
Bunchosia argentea, commonly known as peanut butter fruit, is a species of flowering plant in the acerola family, Malpighiaceae, that is native to Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, Guyana and Suriname. It produces small orange-red fruits that are sericeous (finely haired) of pleasant taste similar to peanut butter. Leaves have pointed ends and are densely silvery or golden sericeous on the abaxial side. The species has not been cultivated.

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2017, 01:42:13 AM »
After trying to find this species for about 3 yrs, I kept getting the same plant, B. armeniaca, mislabeled as the true Peanut butter fruit (B. argentea).

It turns out that B. argentea is much harder to find. 

After locating the real plant, I'm curious to see how it performs in FL.

I've read that these Bunchosia species (armeniaca and argentea) both come from areas that have higher elevations. I'm wondering if it might present a similar problem that the cherimoya does, where the plant grows wonderfully, but has trouble making fruits at low elevations.

I wonder why B. argentea is so obscure, especially if its a superior fruit?  The B. armeniaca isn't hard to locate, and grows well here in FL, so maybe  that's a good sign.

I have both species now. If I had known you were looking for it earlier I would have given you a clipping.
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:42 AM »
I'd love some cuttings of argentea
Shane

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
I would like a cutting of argentea as well.....

Sarah

• New zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2018, 04:37:23 AM »
If anyone has argentea seeds and willing to post international,  I’d love to buy some

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:47 PM »
I would like a cutting of argentea as well.....

Cuttings root easily or are you guys planning to graft?