Author Topic: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online  (Read 149269 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:12:29 PM by Tim »

natsgarden123

Re: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »
I bought cherimoya from www.cherimoya.com last year- seems like the website isn't working properly and the email link doesn't work. Does anyone know what happened to them?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
I bought cherimoya from www.cherimoya.com last year- seems like the website isn't working properly and the email link doesn't work. Does anyone know what happened to them?

Not sure what happened, but they did send out a notice that they would no longer be offering cherimoyas over the internet.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

natsgarden123

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »

Not sure what happened, but they did send out a notice that they would no longer be offering cherimoyas over the internet.

Thanks for the info- too bad- the fruit was great.  I wanted to order again.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:23:32 PM »

Thanks for the info- too bad- the fruit was great.  I wanted to order again.
When I got mine last year, fruit was inconsistent and some arrived split...and from the looks of them they were split when they were packaged.
- Rob

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
I just received an order of sapodilla from Erickson Farm.  Their website says they'll ship 7 pounds of sapodilla fruit, but I received 8.5 pounds (20 fruit).

Packing was a little weak, but the fruit are hard and appear to be in good shape after being mailed, so the packaging was effective enough.  Overall I'm happy with my order so far; now I just have to be patient for them to ripen so I can taste them.

Any guesses as to the variety?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
I just received an order of sapodilla from Erickson Farm.  Their website says they'll ship 7 pounds of sapodilla fruit, but I received 8.5 pounds (20 fruit).

Packing was a little weak, but the fruit are hard and appear to be in good shape after being mailed, so the packaging was effective enough.  Overall I'm happy with my order so far; now I just have to be patient for them to ripen so I can taste them.

Any guesses as to the variety?

Keep us updated on the ripening of those fruit. It may be the picture, but some appear to have too much green still showing under the skin. That means some may not ripen properly.

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:25:59 PM »
Keep us updated on the ripening of those fruit. It may be the picture, but some appear to have too much green still showing under the skin. That means some may not ripen properly.

They all are certainly a little green under the brown skin, though some have only a small patch.  I've only seen and tasted ready-to-eat sapodilla before; I have zero ripening or picking experience.  My 'Silas Woods' plant has flowered once but no fruit set- not surprising for an 18" tall plant.

It's hard to get good fruit in Colorado in February, though the citrus and (surprisingly) jackfruit have been excellent recently.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »
You can add Peter Matsos who owns Park Hill Orchards in California. No website yet, but his email is chippiwa@hotmail.com. I ordered 40 pounds of cherimoya from him this winter, and I was quite happy with the quality. He has several different cultivars. He also has a lot of other fruit trees. Contact him for availability.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:06:10 AM »

They all are certainly a little green under the brown skin, though some have only a small patch.  I've only seen and tasted ready-to-eat sapodilla before; I have zero ripening or picking experience.  My 'Silas Woods' plant has flowered once but no fruit set- not surprising for an 18" tall plant.

It's hard to get good fruit in Colorado in February, though the citrus and (surprisingly) jackfruit have been excellent recently.
Thats more than a small patch of green.  They were definitely picked too early.  While the jury will be out as to how they ripen...the flavor and sweetness will be nowhere near the level they should be at.

As to variety, tough to say.  They may be Alano or they me so far underripe that it could be a number of others.  What is the texture of the outside of the skin, smooth, "rough", dirty feeling, etc.  Problem is that they may have been washed to clean the sap off of them so that outer skin texture may be of no help.
- Rob

CoPlantNut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »

Thats more than a small patch of green.  They were definitely picked too early.  While the jury will be out as to how they ripen...the flavor and sweetness will be nowhere near the level they should be at.

As to variety, tough to say.  They may be Alano or they me so far underripe that it could be a number of others.  What is the texture of the outside of the skin, smooth, "rough", dirty feeling, etc.  Problem is that they may have been washed to clean the sap off of them so that outer skin texture may be of no help.

Every one I've tried so far has been very sweet, like every Sapodilla I've had before, but also so horribly astringent that I cannot eat it.  And I'm sure I'm letting them get soft enough; some were even starting to go bad from being too soft.  The skin was slightly gritty / dirty feeling.

I gave a few away and at least one was reported to have been good, but none of the ones I've tasted yet!  It does appear they were picked too early...  Always disappointing to have a box of inedible fruit.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »

Every one I've tried so far has been very sweet, like every Sapodilla I've had before, but also so horribly astringent that I cannot eat it.  And I'm sure I'm letting them get soft enough; some were even starting to go bad from being too soft.  The skin was slightly gritty / dirty feeling.

I gave a few away and at least one was reported to have been good, but none of the ones I've tasted yet!  It does appear they were picked too early...  Always disappointing to have a box of inedible fruit.

I hope the company gives you a refund or at least ships you a new box with actual mature fruit that will ripen properly. I had a friend in GA who ordered from them two years ago and he said the quality of the fruit was good. I guess it comes down to who picks and packs the individual boxes. No quality control it seems if both Rob and I (and probably anyone else who has picked sapodilla from trees) were able to tell that fruit were not mature just from a pic. Keep us updated on their customer service. If its no good we will make sure to make a note of that on the top of the page so no one else is burned.

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »
Also Norman Beard can ship fresh fruit inside Cali, check what he has available... <a>http://www.beardtropics.com/</a>. Regards-PM
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:08:06 PM by PedalaiMaster »
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 12:05:37 AM »
The cherimoya.com website appears to be offering cherimoyas for sale by mail order once again.

Brad
Brad

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
As lychee season comes to a start over there in florida, is there any way I can get some of those fresh tree ripen Florida lychee shipped here into California? I wanted to get some from Erickson's farm but on the site it says no shipping to CA or HI :'( I really wanted to try some fresh ones and not those unripened Mexican Mauritius, we usually get over here.

jada135

• new york soon to be dominican republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
has anybody ordered from the mangofactory before?And was it good?

indoorpineapplegrower

• USA, Illinois, Chicago, Zone 6
    • View Profile
    • Indoor Pineapple Culture Page
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
Pineapples: Cayenne, White Jade, Spanish Samoa, Queen Victoria, Kaua'i Sugarloaf, Monte Lirio, Cheese Pine, Josapine, Pernambuco

Longan4somefruit

• United States, New York State, Plant Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »
Has anyone ever bought from http://www.melissas.com/?

I really want to buy several items from there the last time I bought produce online I got scammed thus the reason why I've joined this site.

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 01:04:19 AM »
Has anyone ever bought from http://www.melissas.com/?

I really want to buy several items from there the last time I bought produce online I got scammed thus the reason why I've joined this site.

That is a big company, and it's products can be found shipped for resale in supermarkets. I have bought chayote squash, jicama, guava, all from them, and fronwhat I understand, their website carries everything from passion fruit to mangosteen.

The cherimoya.com website appears to be offering cherimoyas for sale by mail order once again.

Brad

Along with white sapote and some kind of pitaya (I forget). They offer a free cherimoya to new members.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:13:11 PM by Sanddollarmoon »

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »
I've ordered fruit from http://www.earthsource.us/ based out of Florida. I bought their mixed fruit (ice cream bananas, sapodillas, mamey sapotes and mangoes) but the box only came with mameys and mangoes. Disappointment.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
I am not sure, but I am going to guess irradiated. They pop up a few times every year, but they are pretty pricey. This amazon seller has them for about half price:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018OM3EI
Seven to thirteen mangosteens for $70 including shipping. Since this is a website, you may be allowed to order?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:43:38 AM by Sanddollarmoon »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 01:32:22 AM »
Visited Melissa's warehouse a few years ago and at that time they were bringing in mangosteens from Puerto Rico, which aren't irradiated.
Oscar

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
Visited Melissa's warehouse a few years ago and at that time they were bringing in mangosteens from Puerto Rico, which aren't irradiated.

Ah, that is good. Oscar, would it be possible to import fresh durian from Puerto Rico, if packaged properly? Is there any source there that does not send frozen fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »

Ah, that is good. Oscar, would it be possible to import fresh durian from Puerto Rico, if packaged properly? Is there any source there that does not send frozen fruit?

Possible yes, but probable no. The farm growing the non irradiated mangosteens is Panoramic fruit in PR
http://www.panoramicfruit.com/ They also grow durian. But they ship only to wholesalers and distributors, not to individual consumers. Also they are just starting production of durian. Don't think they've shipped any to continental USA.
Oscar

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »
Someone needs to file for a USDA risk assessment on durian before they'll be allowed in the US from Puerto Rico. May be a few years yet :(
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand