Author Topic: curled leaves on an otherwise healthy mango tree  (Read 4641 times)

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
curled leaves on an otherwise healthy mango tree
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
Hey guys and gals,

It's getting toward the end of the rainy season down here (Aruba is a desert island, so these things are relative) and all of my mango trees have pushed a bunch of vegetative growth. They all look happy and healthy, if fruitless. The one exception is my Alphonso tree, which is growing vigorously and is covered 97% in big healthy leaves. The other 3% come out curled, like in the attached picture. There are no visible pests on the undersides of the leaves, and it seems to happen to certain branches only. Weird, because as you'll see from this pic, the adjacent leaves that were produced at the same time are perfectly healthy:

Here's a slightly closer view of the unhealthy leaves:

Any ideas what's up here? I'm not super worried about it, since the tree seems so happy, but I am curious. I forgot to mention above that this happens every time the tree pushes out new leaves.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: curled leaves on an otherwise healthy mango tree
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
Have you marked the branch?  Or do you remember if it is always the same branch(s) on which this occurs?

If so, it might be a mutation, a branch sport.  Check to see if there are any differences also in the flower panicle or in the fruit.
Har

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
Going out to mark the branches right now...

For another thread: this tree is 12 feet tall and 12 feet wide and has been in the ground for 3 years and has still not flowered, ever.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
looks like a combination of problems,    Zinc deficiency can cause leaf curling, but i see burning around the edges also, this could be low potassium.

of course sometimes toxicity of one element can cause the a lowering of uptake in another.

what have you been feeding your trees lately ? or have you applied anything to your leaves.

is your soil naturally high or low in some mineral ?   how about the water? is it heavy in something? Ph out of whack?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »
This morning I failed to expand the pictures. 

Tropic Dude is right to point out that there may be a Zinc deficiency, particularly in the sickle-shaped leaves in the first picture. 

I have no idea why the close branches would be that different in nutritional uptake.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk