Author Topic: 'Campeche' sapodilla  (Read 2900 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
'Campeche' sapodilla
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
In 2011 I bought a sapodilla tree from PIN labelled 'Campeche'. I have had a frustrating time finding any information about it. The person I spoke with at PIN didn't know anything about it. The name would suggest it came from Campeche state, Mexico where they grow a lot of sapodilla.

The tree seems to be a moderately vigorous grower. I recently harvested the first fruit from it:

It weighed about half a pound. It has an interesting eating quality, milder with a distinct creaminess to it compared to most saps. It also had a lot of seeds for a sap, 8 total

Anyone else growing this or know anything about it?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:46:22 PM by Squam256 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 'Campeche' sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »
Thats a lot of seeds indeed and from the color of the flesh, especially near and surrounding the skin, I would hedge bets it was not ready to be picked yet.
- Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »
I would hedge bets it was not ready to be picked yet

I didn't think it was either. It originally had 3 fruits on the tree and an animal had got 2 of them so I took a chance. Flavor was still pretty good though.

I've scoured the net for any information on it but come up with absolutely nothing.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »
Is this the sapodilla variety that Dr Campbell or Chris Rollins, i can't remember, brought back when they brought back those two new mamey's? I remember Noel posted about it a long time ago but I can't find the thread.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
I will try to find out some info on it when I go to work tomorrow at PIN, I bought a couple they had left in stock just cause it was different than what I usually have in inventory, they had like 4 of them and I bought them all.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
O.K., spoke with Erik today at work at Pine Island, according to him it is a Mexican cultivar with good sized fruit and very good tasting, he took me to where he has 3 of them in ground ,they are about 12-14ft tall 6-8ft in diameter and have fruit and another stage of bloom coming,so they do look pretty prolific. He also said they have been around a while since the time Zills brought over a bunch of cultivars.so there you have what I was able to find out.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
O.K., spoke with Erik today at work at Pine Island, according to him it is a Mexican cultivar with good sized fruit and very good tasting, he took me to where he has 3 of them in ground ,they are about 12-14ft tall 6-8ft in diameter and have fruit and another stage of bloom coming,so they do look pretty prolific. He also said they have been around a while since the time Zills brought over a bunch of cultivars.so there you have what I was able to find out.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear they look productive.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
This is what worries me...I have very bad "feelings" that there are a handful of Saps in the "marketplace" that have been given different names but are in actuality, or reality, the same "variety".
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk