Author Topic: Question for Sheehan, Rob, Harry, or anyone familiar with 'Excalibur' mango  (Read 7602 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Got an 'Excalibur' mango the other day and wanted to know whether it is early, middle or late season.  That will determine where it gets planted. Couldn't find any season of maturity info for it on google.

thanks

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Sorry but I have no clue. I do have a picture of a ripe one and I could probably check the date of the pic to find out when the approximate season is. Maybe someone else can give you a more exact answer.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
I can't tell you either for sure as I have the tree but it hasn't fruited as of yet. I was given some fruits by someone, probably Murahilin, last year. We had it at a tasting that I would say was mid season from memory.  I said from my memory, so you can't put too much stock in that.  Blooming wise, it seems not to be particularly early or late, so I'm sticking with mid season. If I was to go further, one way or the other from my imperfect memory, I would say late/early to mid season.  We have someone posting from Excalibur on the forum.  I am sure they know.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I can't tell you either for sure as I have the tree but it hasn't fruited as of yet. I was given some fruits by someone, probably Murahilin, last year. We had it at a tasting that I would say was mid season from memory.  I said from my memory, so you can't put too much stock in that.  Blooming wise, it seems not to be particularly early or late, so I'm sticking with mid season. If I was to go further, one way or the other from my imperfect memory, I would say late/early to mid season.  We have someone posting from Excalibur on the forum.  I am sure they know.

Harry

Ah yes, I remember now. I brought it when Gerry was down with his friend during lychee season. I think it was at the end of May?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hmmm.. I am confused now because I found the pic I took of it in 2010 and it was taken on July 31st. Maybe the 2011 crop was earlier? Or maybe it has a long season.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
I've got one that's roughly 5 years old. It set fruit (2 of them) for the first time last year. If memory serves it was mid season. It doesn't seem to be very productive at all, and I was not impressed with the flavor of the 2 mangoes we got last year.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• View Profile
I've got one that's roughly 5 years old. It set fruit (2 of them) for the first time last year. If memory serves it was mid season. It doesn't seem to be very productive at all, and I was not impressed with the flavor of the 2 mangoes we got last year.

Boooo

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Well, considering last season was all screwed timing wise for most varieties, I go by 2010's harvest and say mid season.  I had fruit in 2010 and 2011, taste-wise, the fruit in 2010 was much better.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
This year's crop on the Excalibur is looking a bit better than last years. It looks like we might get a dozen mangoes this year. The growth habit is a bit sprawling -- a complex branching structure like the carrie, but more sprawling. It seems to have a problem with nutrient deficiency on alkaline soil, as the leaves are almost always chlorotic. This tree is roughly 5 years old. Hopefully this year's crop tastes better than last year's. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt since last year was a weird year.

Squam256

• View Profile
The growth habit on that looks like a mix between Keitt and Carrie's

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
HAHAHAHA yep that's a good way to put it.

bsbullie

• View Profile
It is thought to be a cross between Dot and Carrie (yes Sheehan, I know, no genetic testing  ;) )

Oh, and that has the looks of the growth habit from the mature Dot trees I have seen/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:23:20 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
Those initial dozen or so mangoes that our excalibur mango set are now down to 3. I guess that makes 5 mangoes in as many years -- certainly not what I'd call productive. It's next on the line for a top-work.

Rob / Sheehan, is the mother tree as underproductive as mine?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
My Excalibur mango is holding about a dozen or so fruits.  Not too bad for the size of  the tree.  Definitely not Pickering-esque but I would not brand it a poor bearer based on this year's crop.  The jury is still very much out on this cultivar overall though.  Stay tuned as the season progresses.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
Those initial dozen or so mangoes that our excalibur mango set are now down to 3. I guess that makes 5 mangoes in as many years -- certainly not what I'd call productive. It's next on the line for a top-work.

Rob / murahilin, is the mother tree as underproductive as mine?
You know, now that you ask that is the one tree I have not checked on yet this year.  Most of their trees are doing very well, fruit wise, except for their Gold Nugget/Golden Nugget.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
Interesting. There must be some variability based on soil. Mine has a really bad case of chlorosis.

My Excalibur mango is holding about a dozen or so fruits.  Not too bad for the size of  the tree.  Definitely not Pickering-esque but I would not brand it a poor bearer based on this year's crop.  The jury is still very much out on this cultivar overall though.  Stay tuned as the season progresses.

Harry

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
I'm topworking my Excalibur mango. (I'll post pictures of the process later.) My 5 year old tree produced 2 fruits last year and has 1 lonely fruit left this year. The Excalibur mango is the only mango tree I have that suffers severely from chlorosis. My guess is that this mango tree cannot tolerate high ph soil.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
I'm topworking my Excalibur mango. (I'll post pictures of the process later.) My 5 year old tree produced 2 fruits last year and has 1 lonely fruit left this year. The Excalibur mango is the only mango tree I have that suffers severely from chlorosis. My guess is that this mango tree cannot tolerate high ph soil.

Have you top-worked your carrie yet or did you decide to leave that one alone and top work the excalibur?  Looking forward to seeing pics.  :)
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
I did topwork my 2nd carrie tree (I kept the bigger one -- love that mango!). I'll post pictures of that too.

Have you top-worked your carrie yet or did you decide to leave that one alone and top work the excalibur?  Looking forward to seeing pics.  :)