Author Topic: what kind of fruit is this?  (Read 3598 times)

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
what kind of fruit is this?
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:15:20 AM »
is it edible and is it any good? if so how do you prepare it to eat it?

I have family putting an offer on this house with a mango tree and another tree of this unknown fruit.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: what kind of fruit is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:45:07 AM »
Looks like maybe an akee(Blighia sapida)???, as for eating, I have no clue, but it is the national fruit of some Caribbean  island, maybe Jamaica?or some place like that.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:27:39 AM »
Looks like ackee. This fruit is toxic until it pops open on the tree. So they way it is shown in your photo it would be dangerous to eat. You need to know also how to clean it properly. Until then you shouldn't eat it!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:15:31 AM »
Sure looks like akee.When they split get rid of the red bits around the aril and seeds then they can be lightly fried.They are a bit like scrambled eggs.The level of toxicity of unripe and over-ripe fruit may bit overstated in some references.

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »
is this any good? is yhe tree worth keeping?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
is this any good? is yhe tree worth keeping?

Not bad at all , if there is a Caribean population in the neighborhood you can probably sell all the fruit , after it split open by itself , the sunlight kills the toxin but seeds are always poisonous ..
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
You have in your hand a poisonous fruit.  Do not eat this one
As mentioned before, you eat ackee after the pods open by themselves and you properly clean/remove the red pigments/veins inside.

I am in the process of planting at least one  ackee/akee/aki  tree. 
A friend from Jamaica gave me a generous portion of ackee with saltfish that was cooked by his wife.  I got "hooked" on that food. I love it!   

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
If it is in fact a tree you have common access to, simply wait for ripe fruit to occur. It is actually very popular when ripe, and not poisonous when ripe. Pretty much treat it like potatoes or tomatoes. Yeah sure they can be dangerous in certain cases but when ripe are very good and eaten in high amounts.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »
We grow and eat akee, but I think that the last post is not completely responsible.  Illia, you should refer to Oscars post.  The ripe akee absolutely needs to be cleaned properly to be safe to consume.  The cleaning details have been covered in previous threads here.
Peter

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
We grow and eat akee, but I think that the last post is not completely responsible.  Illia, you should refer to Oscars post.  The ripe akee absolutely needs to be cleaned properly to be safe to consume.  The cleaning details have been covered in previous threads here.
Peter

Some people are like multiheaded Hydras. Banned for misinfo/childish posts, find their way back and to continue where they left off.

digigarden

• digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
looks like an akee picked too small

yikes.

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
DurianLover, is that pointed at me? Because yes, apologies, I didn't read the warning post thoroughly and automatically thought of locals out here who push people away from "poisonous" fruits, but if the post is directed at me, it sure seems quick and harsh considering that most of my other posts on this forum have nothing to do with Akee or how to prepare foods. I do mean what I said though, on if the tree is in their access, it's a matter of simply following protocol and enjoying the food instead of backing away entirely.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
Akee is called "Cesos vegetal" by the few that know what it is in the DR. ( translates as vegetarian brains ).

The white "brain" looking part above the big black seed is what you eat. and ONLY after the fruit has opened on its own.

taste ok, kind of a nutty flavor .
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk