Author Topic: Garcinia intermedia fruit and/or seeds available  (Read 2507 times)

Hawaiibotanist.44

• USA, Hawaii (Big Island) Hakalau 13
    • View Profile
Garcinia intermedia fruit and/or seeds available
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:03:46 AM »
Aloha:  I just found this site and registered.  I helped start the Broward County Rare Fruit and Vegetable Council in 1975 and served as its first president.  Now I am retired (I ran the World Botanical Gardens for 8 years after teaching horticulture at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls for 22 years)  and live on the Big Island of Hawaii, and I am growing a number of tropical fruits.  I have 120 trees of Garcinia intermedia or Lemon Drop Mangosteen--probably more than anyone else in Hawaii.  About half of the trees (6 to 8 feet tall) are fruiting, with a few producing over 50 pounds of fruit each.  The fruit is eaten like a jaboticaba (Myrciaria caulifera)--for its flavor and juice, which are a bit like lemonade.  It is very refreshing and a nice pick-me-up on a hot afternoon break from working in the yard.  It makes a delicious jelly or syrup to put on pancakes, pound cake, or bread pudding.  Nobody seems to know much about the fruit, and I would like to promote it...especially to Island chefs for special menu items.  It might also make a good mixer for alcoholic drinks, as it tastes somewhat like a margarita or a mai tai.  I am attaching a picture to give you a better idea of what the fruit and trees look like.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can market the fruit, as I will be producing several thousand pounds of it by next summer.  I can't send samples out, but certainly could provide samples to people on the Big Island.  Contact me if you are interested.

[move][/move]

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Garcinia intermedia fruit and/or seeds available
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:59:42 AM »
Suggest you contact Ken Love in Kona. He's in the phone book. He can probably help you market it.  I know they are trying to buy rare fruits for the upcoming HTFG/CRFG conference of this month. I bet they could take a lot off your hands just for that conference.
Oscar

Tao2

• temperate south end of planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:05:23 AM »
.  I can't send samples out, but certainly could provide samples to people on the Big Island.  Contact me if you are interested.

[move][/move]
[/quote]

So do you have Garcinia intermedia seeds to trade?

Hawaiibotanist.44

• USA, Hawaii (Big Island) Hakalau 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
To Oscar:  I am having some difficulty in trying to respond directly to a specific comment or question.  It looks like I hit "reply", and my response just becomes a post for everyone to read....is that so?  Thanks for the HTFG notice...when?  Where?  I will try contacting Ken.  Also, I think I have bought a few plants from you at the big plant sale in the spring and fall.

To Tao in New Zealand:  I could probably send you some seeds, but they would need to be sent in such a way that they weren't damaged in shipment and wouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get to you.  Would need your address.  Maybe trade some seeds with you.    Lanny.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »
To Oscar:  I am having some difficulty in trying to respond directly to a specific comment or question.  It looks like I hit "reply", and my response just becomes a post for everyone to read....is that so?  Thanks for the HTFG notice...when?  Where?  I will try contacting Ken.  Also, I think I have bought a few plants from you at the big plant sale in the spring and fall.

To Tao in New Zealand:  I could probably send you some seeds, but they would need to be sent in such a way that they weren't damaged in shipment and wouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get to you.  Would need your address.  Maybe trade some seeds with you.    Lanny.

The conference is at the end of this month on all the islands but you would need to contact him right away to make prior arrangements.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk