Author Topic: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms  (Read 49835 times)

Cory_Haiti

• North Haiti - Humid lowland, Central Haiti - 4,400' elevation
    • View Profile
    • Thede Connection
Re: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »
About spineless peach palm, its productivity and oil content:

I’ve grown peach palms here in Haiti since 2009. I bought “spineless” seeds that year from RarePalmSeeds.com and most grew spineless. Several more orders from RarePalmSeeds and other sources usually didn’t germinate. The original trees were growing so well and I couldn’t find a reliable source of seed so in 2014 I went to Costa Rica to get a good genetic diversity of seed. I have about 520 planted out on about 3 acres. The goal is to get a good source of seeds and seedlings to distribute in Haiti for development, food security, and helping our mission churches.

Last year many of the original trees started fruiting. Most of the thornless fruits are similar and low oil, but one is highly productive and oily. Over 100 pounds of fruit the past 12 months, I guess about 120 pounds. 8 or 9 bunches, heaviest was 24 pounds. Some of the trees set seedless fruits and others drop all their immature fruit if they don’t get pollinated. Pollination is an issue here, we don’t have the beetles that do most of the pollination in the native range. Pollen drops about an hour before sunset and bees sometimes visit the blooms but nothing like the interest they have for royal palms and coconuts. With about 8 blooming trees, and our two bloom periods per year, there isn’t much bloom overlap for pollination, I have had to save pollen and hand pollinate to get good bunches of seeded fruit.

I also have a few wild type, probably B. setulosa with small red fruit, hardly any pulp, not good eating, I’m pretty sure they set seeded fruit without other bactris blooming. They are spineless when small, but get very spiney all over when they grow a trunk.

2014 & 2015 were years of drought in Costa Rica and Haiti. Here are photos I took at CATIE. Their thornless peach palms looked as productive as the thorny ones. I was told that the thornless are usually low-oil. The people there prefer fruits with seeds because seedless is low oil. There was an extremely oily thornless peach palm that wasn’t very good because of fibers in the fruit. Another had fruit almost at ground level.

Some of my plants are from fruits at a big tourist stop market near Squirres, Costa Rica. At least 3 of the thornless peach palm seedlings from Costa Rica are turning spiney now that they are getting trunks. At least the spines are short but it is a problem when planted where thorns are a danger like by a path in a public area. I wonder if it is a setulosa or other hybrid that may have an advantage at higher elevations.

The young trees have really done best where there is some shade, usually from larger nearby trees but this may be due to the dry weather the first year after they were planted. They tend to get stunted and yellow in full sun, whether in the ground or in the nursery.

Peach palm tend to grow much faster than acai here. I have had close to 100 percent survival in the field despite many being attacked by goats, cows, white grubs and rhino beetles. They just  put up a new sucker if any of the base is left intact. If a beetle eats the heart it usually results in two or more plants coming up, which can be divided for propagation. A person experienced digging banana pups with a digging bar can have good results removing good size offshoots for propagation.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:37:36 PM by Cory_Haiti »

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
That's a beautiful palm tree! WOW

What's it taste like? and how low of temps can they withstand?

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2017, 05:18:09 AM »
Do you grow Euterpe edulis (acai), commonly known as juçara?
Thanks
Mike

Cory_Haiti

• View Profile
    • Thede Connection
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
The high yield, oily peach palm has good flavor, not too strong, but it is dry even after a couple hours of boiling. Good in soups or with mayonnaise.

I do have some acai. First fruit set this year, only half size and green now.

My lowest temperature is about 58'F/14'C. So I don't have cold, but have seen them in the Miami area of Florida, don't think they take much more cold than that but as tough as peach palm is it seems like it would re-grow after a hard frost.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2017, 09:27:13 PM »
Cory, thank you so much for what you've done in the propagation of the 'Spineless-Peach-Palm,' and for the valuable information that you've given; that we're hungry for;)

Congratulations on your success in developing a 'Spineless-Peach-Palm' that is oily and very productive, you have a knack for this, and it seems you have a real winner there. Please let me know if you ever wish to propagate this variety in South Florida, especially if with your guidanc, all the proceeds would go (through churches) to help the poor.

Regardless, please propagate this variety that you've developed, it seems to be a very valuable variety; thanks again.

As far as the development of my 'Spineless-Peach-Palm' pup, it's doing just great! In the back of my mind I was worrying that it would die. I potted it and watered it. At first it had what looked like a single strand of a single, thick, green 'hair.' Then it opened into a green leaf. Then, that green leaf divided into two leafs, and I'm silly in that I'm ecstatic about it.

Cory, thank you for confirming my observations, that the 'Spinesless-Peach-Palm' grows quite quickly, and it's a sturdy palm. It should produce a lot of food by means of harvesting the palm-of -hearts of the pups that grow around the trunk, when they get to be about 14 feet tall.

I'm planning to put to good use the fact that the 'Spineless-Peach-Palm' produces few fruits (there's less chance to slip on a fruit while walking and falling) by planting it along the walkways that leads to house entrances, and just harvesting the heart-of-palms.

I'm also now looking for a 'Spiny-Peach-Palm,' to harvest both the abundant fruit production, and the heart-of-palms. I'm planning to plant it in a corner of the backyard, where its spines will provide a bit of security, and it'll be less prone to prick some unsuspecting individual.

I've heard that a 'Peach-Palm' fruit has more Vitamin C than an orange! So, spines or no spines, I'm planning to get all the food and aesthetic benefits that this awesome  Edible Palm variety has to offer.

I’ve grown peach palms here in Haiti since 2009. I bought “spineless” seeds that year from RarePalmSeeds.com and most grew spineless. Several more orders from RarePalmSeeds and other sources usually didn’t germinate. The original trees were growing so well and I couldn’t find a reliable source of seed so in 2014 I went to Costa Rica to get a good genetic diversity of seed. I have about 520 planted out on about 3 acres. The goal is to get a good source of seeds and seedlings to distribute in Haiti for development, food security, and helping our mission churches.

Last year many of the original trees started fruiting. Most of the thornless fruits are similar and low oil, but one is highly productive and oily. Over 100 pounds of fruit the past 12 months, I guess about 120 pounds. 8 or 9 bunches, heaviest was 24 pounds. Some of the trees set seedless fruits and others drop all their immature fruit if they don’t get pollinated. Pollination is an issue here, we don’t have the beetles that do most of the pollination in the native range. Pollen drops about an hour before sunset and bees sometimes visit the blooms but nothing like the interest they have for royal palms and coconuts. With about 8 blooming trees, and our two bloom periods per year, there isn’t much bloom overlap for pollination, I have had to save pollen and hand pollinate to get good bunches of seeded fruit.

I also have a few wild type, probably B. setulosa with small red fruit, hardly any pulp, not good eating, I’m pretty sure they set seeded fruit without other bactris blooming. They are spineless when small, but get very spiney all over when they grow a trunk.

2014 & 2015 were years of drought in Costa Rica and Haiti. Here are photos I took at CATIE. Their thornless peach palms looked as productive as the thorny ones. I was told that the thornless are usually low-oil. The people there prefer fruits with seeds because seedless is low oil. There was an extremely oily thornless peach palm that wasn’t very good because of fibers in the fruit. Another had fruit almost at ground level.

Some of my plants are from fruits at a big tourist stop market near Squirres, Costa Rica. At least 3 of the thornless peach palm seedlings from Costa Rica are turning spiney now that they are getting trunks. At least the spines are short but it is a problem when planted where thorns are a danger like by a path in a public area. I wonder if it is a setulosa or other hybrid that may have an advantage at higher elevations.

The young trees have really done best where there is some shade, usually from larger nearby trees but this may be due to the dry weather the first year after they were planted. They tend to get stunted and yellow in full sun, whether in the ground or in the nursery.

Peach palm tend to grow much faster than acai here. I have had close to 100 percent survival in the field despite many being attacked by goats, cows, white grubs and rhino beetles. They just  put up a new sucker if any of the base is left intact. If a beetle eats the heart it usually results in two or more plants coming up, which can be divided for propagation. A person experienced digging banana pups with a digging bar can have good results removing good size offshoots for propagation.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »
Today I received 4 'Peach Palm' (Bactris gasipaes) seeds in the mail, from Serendipityseeds.com (through Amazon), there's very little else information about them. From what I've been able to observe, these palms grow straight up, similar to 'Royal' palms, giving them a noble, elegant appearance.

Looking at the positive side, there are 2 main possibilities: (1) Spineless-trunk variety, and (2) Spiny-trunk variety.

Possibility #1: Spineless 'Peach-Palm'
   On the pro side: 'Spineless Peach-Palm' varieties are much less dangerous, thus one has to worry much less about getting poked, and probably easier to climb using primitive technique(s). Cory has reported to have developed a 'Spineless Peach-Palm' variety, grown from seed, that is top notch in all around quality. I hope that he propagates the suckers and seeds of that variety so that he and the world can mutually benefit from it. I've informed him that I'm very willing to assist him in doing just that. I have a sucker from a Spineless variety growing in a pot; although it's from a reputable source, thus increasing my chances for productive quality fruit, it's a sucker from a mother tree that was planted 6 years ago and hasn't fruited yet (it's about 25 feet tall now). I hope that Spineless varieties from suckers bear fruit quicker than from seeds.
   On the con side: 'Spineless Peach-Palm' varieties are known to produce less fruit, with fruit quality ßnot being as good as Spiny varieties.( This is one reason why I'm hoping that these 4 seeds are the Spiny type.) I've heard that fruit production takes about 10 years, but not sure if that's from seeds or suckers. 'Peach-Palm' is known to have a lot of genetic variation from one seed to another. (I don't like to have to rely on luck, but if these 4 seeds are the Spineless 'Peach-Palm' variety, I'll probably study the fruit production and quality specs., and then go from there; & make a decision about which to keep, and which to destroy.)

Possibility #2: Spiny 'Peach Palm'
   On the pro side: 'Spiny-Peach Palm' are known to be very productive producers of quality fruit; because of the substantial genetic variability from one seed to the next, fruit quality will still vary. This is why I'm hoping that these four seeds are the Spiny type, and thus greatly increase my chances, that at least one will produce abundant quality fruit.
   On the con side: 'Spiny Peach-Palm' have those dangerous spines, and thus should be planted in a location that's away from heavy foot traffic. And, because of the genetic variability, it's "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get," although your chances for quality fruit are increased when compared to the Spineless type.

So, expecting the worst, and hoping for the best, until the next time (God willing).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:30:29 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Cory_Haiti

• View Profile
    • Thede Connection
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
From what I have read and what I have tried, favor is as good in spineless as it is in spiney trees. I suspect that spineless require cross pollination more than the spiney types do. I do have a spineless that sets bunches of seedless fruit when not pollinated but most drop all the fruit if not pollinated. I was told in Costa Rica that they prefer seeded fruit. I like the seedless, less dry fruit but it is also less oily unless allowed to fully ripen. Seeded fruit ripen faster and fruit with larger seeds tends to ripen before fruit with small seeds in the same bunch.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2017, 02:54:44 AM »

I have 6 peach palms that are going to be planted out in the field. What spacing would you recommend?

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2017, 02:45:32 AM »
Cory, this quality seedless variety, which sounds like it's your favorite, and rightfully so, seems like the perfect candidate for propagation by suckers.

"... I do have a spineless that sets bunches of seedless fruit when not pollinated but most drop all the fruit if not pollinated..."

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2017, 11:37:48 PM »
Don't forget to add Acai Berry to your list of edible palms.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
Although I love the taste of store bought Acai Berry (organic) organic fruit juice, I have no knowledge of how Acai Berry Palms do in the subtropical South Florida climate. I just know that they thrive in the Amazon area of South America.

Basically, all I have is questions for the Acai Berry Palm: Do they grow & fruit in S. FL? Are the fruit berries edible raw? Are the raw fruit berries tasty? Is Acai Berry Juice the only way to consume this fruit?

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2017, 11:54:22 PM »
Update on the 'Spineless-Peach-Palm' sucker that I have growing in a pot:

The main, bigger sucker has dried up and died. Incredibly, it came with its own much smaller sucker, which is doing just fine so far. I've moved it to a location with more shade.

I hope it survives so that I don't have to go through the process of obtaining another sucker from the donating/mother Peach-Palm tree of an acquaintance of mine. It can be somewhat heart wrenching to see what these young pups go through.

Update on the taste of the 'Peach-Palm:' I've never tasted the fruit, but from what I've been able to gather, it is very nutritious, but it does not have a sweet taste.

I recall two ways that the fruit can be eaten after it's boiled for about 5 hours: (1) By itself with some honey, and (2) in a soup recipe.  8)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:02:23 AM by LEOOEL »

guidelazeri

• Minas Gerais, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »
I think people need to know the taste of Butia eriosphata. I still do not know Butia capitata so I do not know if it is better, but I can say that Butia eriosphata is completely fantastic, very juicy, sweet, slightly acidic. I need to take pictures of open fruit.
Native from south Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul state (common name: Butiá-da-serra)

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
Cory
        How do you extract the oil of your palms. Do you extract by boiling or by pressing ? Have you come across any small size and economical press other than the PITEBA ?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
Generally, the Peach Palm fruit isn't pressed for oil, just boiled and eaten. Taste to me is nutty but not sweet, texture drier than a winter storage pumpkin near to the dryness of potato.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »
I'm always surprised when people talk about boiling penibaye for hours. 20-30 minutes has always worked well for us. Cut up cooked pejibaye is great in a stir fry. Use is cold in salada. Grind it up or smash it to make fritters.
Peter

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
Good News & Bad News

Bad News (first): ‘Spineless Peach 🍑 Palm’ sucker died last year. I suppose I was ‘kinda’ mourning its passing and can talk about it OK now. As I remember, it survived less than 2 months in a pot. So, ‘back to the old drawing board’ as they say. Next time, - God Willing - I plan to use Root-Hormone and better Potting-Soil.

Good-News!: The ‘Gingerbread Palm’ (Hyphaene ventricosa) produces a ‘fruit’ with “a thick layer of fibrous material which is favoured by monkeys and elephants but can be eaten by humans as well.” This Palm is already in Miami-Dade County, Florida. The information I have is that it’s thriving and fruiting! I looked on the Web for Nurseries in Miami-Dade County, Fl, that have it for sale, but haven’t found it yet, perhaps I’ll need to expand the search area. The other option, of course, is to obtain its ‘fruit’ and plant it.

P.S. It goes without saying (but it deserves to be said anyway), this new development is, within the context of this Thread: Very Exciting!

http://innvista.com/health/foods/seeds/nut-producing-palms/ : “Gingerbread palm, doum nut (Hyphaene ventricosa) is found mainly in Arabia, tropical Africa and Madagascar. The trunk is frequently branched, which is rare in palm trees. The fruit is the shape and size of an orange with a thin, shiny brown, outer layer. Beneath this is a thicker layer of fibrous matter which is favoured by monkeys and elephants but can be eaten by humans as well. The third layer is very hard and fibrous which encases an inedible kernel known as “Vegetable Ivory”, which was extensively used in the manufacture of buttons until the advent of plastics.”

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
It does grow here in Florida here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eIqL8ixahQ

Edibility discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtq73CxBWQE

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2018, 10:55:39 PM »
Although I love the taste of store bought Acai Berry (organic) organic fruit juice, I have no knowledge of how Acai Berry Palms do in the subtropical South Florida climate. I just know that they thrive in the Amazon area of South America.

Basically, all I have is questions for the Acai Berry Palm: Do they grow & fruit in S. FL? Are the fruit berries edible raw? Are the raw fruit berries tasty? Is Acai Berry Juice the only way to consume this fruit?

I have a few acai and jucara palms grown from seed in the south Miami area. The acai look nice and healthy even though they could use some additional soil and maybe being repotted. The jucaras are smaller/younger and have stressed some with the heat and limited water lately. They seem to tolerate the climate well here, although I did bring them in once or twice last year when it got cold. No fruit yet, too small.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2018, 05:14:11 AM »
It does grow here in Florida here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eIqL8ixahQ

Edibility discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtq73CxBWQE

Thank You for the informative video. I would really like now to be able to soon get a hold of a Gingerbread Palm; preferably the tree, but I‘d settle for fruit-seed to plant. I think that edible fruit palms are just more fun to have than the ones that are not edible.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:17:01 AM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2018, 09:12:52 PM »
I think people need to know the taste of Butia eriosphata. I still do not know Butia capitata so I do not know if it is better, but I can say that Butia eriosphata is completely fantastic, very juicy, sweet, slightly acidic. I need to take pictures of open fruit.

Thank You for the Important Heads-Up on the ‘Butia eriosphata‘ Peach Palm. You mention that it’s Sweet, Juicy... Wow!  8)

It is wonderful to know that there are Quality Cultivars of Peach Palm like this one.

Your information just sets things up to do a follow up Research to determine if it’s in my South Florida area, or another are in the USA (like California). And, if it’s not, then other venues must definitely be explored in order to bring it into the USA.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »
Great News! With regards to ‘Butias eriosphata’ Peach Palm: It’s in the USA!

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=19453.0

To my recollection, this may be the Best Quality and Best Tasting Peach Palm Cultivar up to date!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2022, 09:13:45 PM »

I was recently given some palm fruits with a red blush that looked exactly like those in the picture. Most Butia capitata fruits I have seen did not have a red blush. I wonder if they were actually B. Eriosphata. They were ok raw, but cooking really improved the flavor. They made absolutely fantastic jelley (once the fibers were strained out).