Author Topic: Peeing on your trees...  (Read 4351 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Peeing on your trees...
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »

A friend sent me some info on using urine as fertilizer on fruit trees. There're some videos on youtube about it. Any experience with what seems to be a pretty interesting and natural way to fertilize? Besides, at my age I am blessed with an abundance of urine. Shame to waste it!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Peeing on your trees...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
This may help you:  http://bit.ly/1fgoxcV

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
You should be careful not to over-fertilize sidewalk trees during the day by this method.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »
I don't think urine in it's ''raw'' form should be used, as N source...our urine is loaded with mineral salts, that is expelled by our organism...morning pees, should be is a kill'a i reckon, as it's more concentrated.

A good way is to ferment the urine, then dilute with water.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 02:06:54 AM »
I stop buying miracle grow a whole back & make my own.  Lable seven milk jugs with a day each week on it; example monday jug, tuesday jug...etc.  pee & collect monday jug until its full, continue with the rest of jug collecting...by time you get to Sunday & fill it.  Monday jug is ready to be used & its have aged; the malodorous affluent is rich with a frothy robust foam, your plants will think its at a green pub.  And like the pub you want to water down this age urine, its excellent dog & scale repellent ( mix it with water 20 age pee to 80 tap water) put in a sprayer & spray on your fruit trees & were dog like to hangout( discover neighbor dogs don't like fermented human pee).

Be sure to spray down wind of neighbor or you will get a couple nice greeting cards from your HOA.  Fresh urine will burn plants & kill seedlings, I have lost a few. If you do not like aging or fermenting your urine; just pee in a bucket fresh urine, mixed 5% creme fresca pee to tap water & your ready to water anything without harm since solution is diluted down, however nutrient have not broke down yet for plants to enjoy your loving though.  Fermentation of pee is like Santa bearing gift to plants, instant gratification, nutrients are absorb quickly.  My Brazilian spinach  turn green with envy & have triple in size since i gave it the elixir of plant life.

What are those white precipitation sheet in the jug, well its urea crystal that have collected.  Dry urea crystal can be used later date to make liquid fertilizer.  Make sure you have a patient wife, I guarantee you save hundred of dollar in water bill for every time you are not flushing the toilet. ::)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:08 AM »
I don't think urine in it's ''raw'' form should be used, as N source...our urine is loaded with mineral salts, that is expelled by our organism...morning pees, should be is a kill'a i reckon, as it's more concentrated.

A good way is to ferment the urine, then dilute with water.

Mature trees can handle urine with no problem. Different for small plants or potted plants. Also note that salt content in urine is completely dependent on salt content in your diet. Also you should note that animal manures have salt content. But i think we had a whole thread about this before, so good to look that one up.
Oscar

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:42:18 AM »
Power of urine. Im this guy that dont like to "cheat" and I have to produce everything myself. Well, there is limitations but fertalizer have never been one of them. Because i dont have a proper toilet i dig big holes and uses them for a while. And while im fertelizing it I also cover with grass or woddy stuff. Then I plant a tree in that hole. That is a good start.
The pee is a real good fertalizer, my garden is pretty young and everything is growing thanks to pee, because in the garden its not so nice with number 2. As people write its best fermented but If you are sharing with everyone then its no problem.

If you ferment you can also ferment some urtica either with or by itself.

I also have a mushroom growing here that is a famous root stimlator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisolithus_tinctorius

Plans need mostly energi to grow but carbon is also essential. I gather material and put around my trees. In these way the will have both but if you use only pee then sometimes you might complete it with something. Cooking-extraktions from wood for example.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »
I pee around my fruit trees most days that I'm on the farm.   I gotta pee somewhere.  Can't say I've noticed any benefit, but it doesn't appear to do any harm.  I don't even notice the grass and weeds doing any better or worse where I pee.

Cattle pee a lot in one concentrated area and it doesn't kill the grass.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
I think the use of "humanure" is fascinating. If/when I have an in-ground garden/orchard I plan to explore this further.

The ultimate recycling.

So best of luck to you!

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
Is that like the saying pissing on the ones you love?! :o

I'm guilty of it, doesn't look like it does any of my trees any harm. But I'm no expert.

And my place doesn't smell like a urinal either.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »
Grass is always greener over the septic tank!

That cliche' is partially true as not much grows over the actual septic tank.  But, the drain field is another story! 

Being a gardener and beer drinker I frequently pee outside.  I live in a secluded area and can get away with it.  I haven't seen any ill effects.

I've run experiments also.  I've peed in the same spot for several months to see if it burns anything. It doesn't.   Most of my experiments are on palms. 

I've also had an ornamental in a container I would pee in every time to see if it would kill it.  It took about 6 months  of pee to eventually knock it back.

Thus, don't concentrate the urine for so long but spread it out. 

Also, the smell of urine can be strong if in the same spot every time.  If you live in a place that gets droughts you can smell it.   Its kind of gross also, or can be depending on what kind of culture you grew up in.  Me?  U Gotta Pee, U Gotta Pee. 

Does it hurt or help?  Eh?  I would say it is minor either way and not enough to make a difference.  However, like mentioned above it does save on the water bill with less flushing. 

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 01:55:04 AM »
When I was farming I cycled the urine through the compost pile. That way the composting process locks up the mineral salts, and the urine keeps up the moisture and nitrogen levels in the pile. Plus I didn't have to walk all the way back to the house in order to flush a cup of urine down loo with a couple of gallons of scarce southern California water... Better all around.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 02:52:40 AM »
Most efficient is to cycle the urine through a fertilizer injector into your drip system. Urine is already filtered by your kidneys so very little chance of it plugging up your emitters.
Oscar

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »
Great for bananas! Ive done it with good results over the years when im at the farm working.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:31 AM »
I did this with my lemon tree and it looked like there were herpes on the lemons when they came out, still good tho, but turns out it was all the sugars in the pee, I also didnt water it so it only got pee when it didnt rain. Next crop with no pee turned out without herpes ;D. Tree was still doing good.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
I did this with my lemon tree and it looked like there were herpes on the lemons when they came out, still good tho, but turns out it was all the sugars in the pee, I also didnt water it so it only got pee when it didnt rain. Next crop with no pee turned out without herpes ;D. Tree was still doing good.

?? You gave your tree an STD?  ;)
Oscar