Author Topic: ?s regarding Valencias, Caracaras, and navels  (Read 1431 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
?s regarding Valencias, Caracaras, and navels
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »
We recently bought a property with a ton of citrus trees, mostly Valencia oranges, mostly in pretty bad shape from years of neglect. One is a Caracara orange - yippe I love those. Another I thought was a Valencia - fruit the size and shape of Valencia with no navel - til I cut one open and it was that Caracara pink color! A few more fruit picked from the tree are the same. They are also notably easier to peel than Valencias usually are, and have very few seeds. BUT they have no navel. Not even a suggestion of a navel. Do Caracaras ever not have navels? Are Valencias ever pink?
Different tree, sort of the opposite question. This tree we planted a few years ago, it was sold to us as a Valencia. It's putting on a bunch of small fruit right now but it also has a couple of giant fruit which also have giant navels! Is this a mis-labled California navel or do Valencias occasionally get really big and have navels?
Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to offer! :)

JJROSS54

• San Tan Valley, AZ 9a
    • View Profile
Re: ?s regarding Valencias, Caracaras, and navels
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
It sounds like you might have a variety of Blood orange, navels are usually seedless.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
Could it be a Smith Red Valencia orange?

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:20:21 PM »
I don’t know of blood oranges or that variety of Valencia here. Grafted citrus is pretty limited.