Author Topic: What are your favorite polyembryonic mangoes?  (Read 25970 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: What are your favorite polyembryonic mangoes?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
O-2 is probably a Kent x Gary cross.

It appears several of these supposed Gary crosses may be polyembryonic.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
I don't know much about this topic, but I do know that several sprouted seeds that I have come across while weeding have had several sprouts. I have a Glenn and a Valencia Pride and am not sure which tree they came from.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »

I was gonna say that the best mangos are all mono, but it appears I am mistaken.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 05:53:23 AM »
In a poly mango, the slower growing stem after sprouting is usually the copy of the parent mango correct?

This should be an FAQ. And i've heard arguments on both sides. There was a thread about this before, but forget what the agreed conclusion was?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 05:57:48 AM »

I was gonna say that the best mangos are all mono, but it appears I am mistaken.

The Indian mangos are mostly mono, and the Thai/Viet. mangos are mostly poly. I thought LM was Thai? So it's probably poly?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 06:24:05 AM »
KP is a poly of indian heritage.I have not heard of untrue seedlings just different variation that are pretty good.There are seedling plantations and people  just keep the strongest.All over asia poly seeds are planted with good results.Many people will know the answer to the strongest or weakest seedling question with certainty.I used to be sure it was the strongest shoots to emerge but not always the first.My favorites are all polys.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 07:26:39 AM »

The Indian mangos are mostly mono, and the Thai/Viet. mangos are mostly poly. I thought LM was Thai? So it's probably poly?
If by your post, LM is Lemon Meringue or PPK/Pu Pyi Klai, then yes it should be poly (and I believe it is originally from Burma, so the story goes).  That is why the LZ and OS should both be poly, as they are seedlings of PPK/LM (now obviously when Gary did this he knew which one was the "mother sprout" and chose to grow out one of the others in search of a new variety...or ultimately LZ and OS).
- Rob

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »
I'll post this again.
An interesting little fact about polyembryony:
It has been observed that some of the monoembryonic varieties may revert to polyembryony when grown under different sets of soil and climatic conditions.
Some of the Indian varieties which were mostly monoembryonic produced more than one seedling in the Philippines.  ???
http://www.ikisan.com/Crop%20Specific/Eng/links/ap_mangoVarieties.shtml

Richard

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
Seems I've seen multiple sprouts from a suppoosedly mono seed.  I think it is very possible for multiple sprouts to be grown from the same genetic portion of a seed.  The question is really whether there are various segments of the seed that are not genetically identical that are pushing the sprouts.  With a truly poly seed, each segment of the seed will send up a sprout and the segments that are identical to the parent will obviously be clones of the parent.  While the seed segment that is a sexual reproduction will be a new individual no matter how many shoots come up from that particular segment. Sometimes when the initial sprout is damaged or lost to other causes, the remaining seed will sometimes push several new sprouts giving the appearance of the type of spouting you see in a poly mango seed.  That's my theory anyway.  Any thoughts?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
Seems I've seen multiple sprouts from a suppoosedly mono seed.  I think it is very possible for multiple sprouts to be grown from the same genetic portion of a seed.  The question is really whether there are various segments of the seed that are not genetically identical that are pushing the sprouts.  With a truly poly seed, each segment of the seed will send up a sprout and the segments that are identical to the parent will obviously be clones of the parent.  While the seed segment that is a sexual reproduction will be a new individual no matter how many shoots come up from that particular segment. Sometimes when the initial sprout is damaged or lost to other causes, the remaining seed will sometimes push several new sprouts giving the appearance of the type of spouting you see in a poly mango seed.  That's my theory anyway.  Any thoughts?

Harry

When I tried some epicotyl grafting on seedlings that sprouted under my Glenn, they failed after pushing some growth.  The inital seedling totally died back and multple sprouts popped up later.
Brandon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
I've planted an Okrung and a....gosh what was it.....a pina colada and they both produced
multiple sprouts, but again, not sure if they are Poly or Mono's just multi-sprouting.  Wish there
were definitive answers to all these questions - who lkes to grow something that's not what you think
it is and have no idea what will be produced and hate the 5 year wait to be delighted or disappointed?

Not me.

Gary

mathmom

• USA, WA, Richland, 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
A few evenings ago in my late night research on mono/polyembryonic research, I found lots of conflicting info on which sprouts are the nucellar ones in poly seeds.  I finally found one article, which I should have bookmarked, that indicated that the variety of mango determined whether the strong one/s were the clones and the weak ones the sexually produced zygotes, or vice-versa.  This seemed the only logical explanation for all the conflicting information.  It was definitely not an article of US origin, and was academic in nature, but it was probably 1:00 am at the time so that's all I remember.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »
A few evenings ago in my late night research on mono/polyembryonic research, I found lots of conflicting info on which sprouts are the nucellar ones in poly seeds.  I finally found one article, which I should have bookmarked, that indicated that the variety of mango determined whether the strong one/s were the clones and the weak ones the sexually produced zygotes, or vice-versa.  This seemed the only logical explanation for all the conflicting information.  It was definitely not an article of US origin, and was academic in nature, but it was probably 1:00 am at the time so that's all I remember.

I think you may be on to something,  If i remember correctly  Mike said that with Kensington Pride, they use the strongest "first" sprout  which is the clone on that variety.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »
In some polyembryonic varieties there appears
to be a zygotic embryo in addition to these
nucellar embryos. In other varieties there ap
pears to be only the nucellar types. In these
latter cases all the seedlings originating from
these seeds will be identical to the mother plant.

This seems to confirm the theory, that the clone will depend on the variety.   So it is possible that my main "first" sprout off my Manila seed, is the actual clone, and the smaller ones that came after can also be clones,  or The main sprout is a zygote, and the smaller ones are clones.

this would make everything a lot more complicated.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13:45 AM »
Kensington Pride... inexplicably not more widely grown esp. where anthracnose not a drama
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

aiwelaweka

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 12:19:55 AM »
Don't clonal seedlings dominate in poly seeds and the rare non clonals die off anyway? KP's are essentially all true from seed without selecting stronger or weaker ones.
I thought it was the opposite where fertilized embryos have the advantage of being connected to the cotyledons. Maybe it depends on the variety where some variety make non-viable offsprings that are much weaker than mother tissue.

On the Manila I planted, the first sprout was big and strong, came up only after 5-6 days after planting the seed, almost 2 weeks later a smaller plant sprouted from the seed.  I recently separated them, now they are in individual pots.

From discussion on this before in another thread , I gathered from that thread that its the smaller offspring that are the clones of the mother plant. and the first strong one is the one that has crossed and wont come up true to parent.  I marked my two plants, "Manila", and "Manila Seedling" but really I wish I was 100% sure.

I have planted lots of common mango in Hawaii.  Usually there is one strong seedling that i always assumed was zygotic, followed by 1 to 10 smaller seedlings that are clonal.  The growth of the first seedling of a poly seed matches the growth of a mono seed.  So that's my take.

james007tgo

• myanadee farm;Mandalay region Myanmar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 06:46:12 AM »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:45 AM »
I am not sure about Lemon Zest.  It is new to me and I have never seen its seed.  I just spoke to murahilin and he advises that Jeff Hagen planted them out and found them to be poly.  However, Murahilin says he opend a couple of seeds and did not find the ones he opened to be poly.  I likewise haven't examined closely the Pickering.  I have always assumed it was mono.  The list says otheriwse.  Will the person who listed this info on the list step forward and provide their method of establishing this?

Harry, my lemon zest seed that I planted into the ground sprouted 6 plants, 5 survived this winter and are growing, but slowly. My plan is to keep all 5 together and inarch them together, want to see what I get when it fruits in several years.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
Multi sprouts from the same embryo is not a polyembryonic -- they are like branches , but multi sprouts from different embryos that can be separated with individual embryo to each sprout  is polyembryonic.

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
I have a few polyembryonic seedlings (multi sprouts from different embryos that was separated with individual embryo to each sprout as Sapote stated) that I planted in 2013.  They are "Tu" mangoes (literally translated from Mandarin Chinese) from Taiwan.  They are small, fibrous, have a large seed to flesh ratio, but I think they are my favorite tasting mangoes.  The skin is thick so easy to peel and eat as well.

There is a picture of these mangoes here (number 3):

http://jetsettimes.com/2013/10/21/20-must-trys-fruits-taiwan/

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:08 PM »
That article mentions jujubes being called dates if they're dried.  Do Taiwanese folks call jujube dates?  The dates I know come from the date palm...not sure if that's misinformation, or just speaking of what it is called in Taiwan.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 02:44:43 AM »
That article mentions jujubes being called dates if they're dried.  Do Taiwanese folks call jujube dates?  The dates I know come from the date palm...not sure if that's misinformation, or just speaking of what it is called in Taiwan.

I believe jujubes are not the same as the palm dates one thinks of here in the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujube

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »
yeah, they are clearly different. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk