Author Topic: mango leaf tips browning--is it the water?  (Read 8902 times)

mathmom

• USA, WA, Richland, 6b
    • View Profile
mango leaf tips browning--is it the water?
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:22:20 PM »
My mango is growing well but a few leaf tips are browning.  Do I need to lower the pH or is it a sign of drought stress? or ???

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: mango leaf tips browning--is it the water?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:46:05 PM »
Yes, it can be drought stress, too much fertilizer, too many dissolved solids / salts in the water, or just wind / low humidity damage (since you're in an arid climate).

Kevin

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
In SoCal outdoors it would be salt burn. But it depends on your growing location (outdoors, greenhouse, basement) and container (ground, small pot, large pot, 100gallon planter) and recent weather(heatwave, humid, dry, cold).

Maybe if you provided more information and photo if possible.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
For me, in my dry and hot climate, it was both too much sun and not enough water. After I put some window screen over the mango tree, and increase water, new growth began, all the new leaves are green and lush, not cracked and brown like they were before.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:16:52 PM »
My guess
Bad water
Bad water
Bad water :)
Just my guess !

mathmom

• USA, WA, Richland, 6b
    • View Profile
Struggling mango
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
Hi all, I posted recently about tip browning on mango leaves, and now I can't find that thread.  I appreciate all the responses.  I have just been so busy I haven't gotten back to this.  Now I have a new symptom.  Sudden wilt of new growth and stem shriveling on this same tree.  I staked it up thinking I'd forgotten to water, but watering didn't help so I'm wondering if this is a sign of drowning.  My other mangoes (seedlings) have never done this.  In the meantime, the old leaves continue to brown, and the leaf stems are shriveling.  TIA!  Also any tips on what size to use when posting a photo?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling mango
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
wilt sounds like water, too much water can cause rot then no uptake.  Get in the soil to know for sure.

mathmom

• USA, WA, Richland, 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »
I was just doing that.  Yup, it's drowning.  I was confused because it was on its second growth flush.  The roots have rotted and the medium is WAY too wet.  I'm now letting what's left of the root ball dry out on my bench for a few hours in the shade.  I'll move it into a dryer mix like what I have my other mangoes in...lots of perlite and some pumice for drainage because it's what I can get here.  I'll probably cut off the last wilting set of leaves because it's too much for the compromised root ball to support.  It needs to rest.  I flipped my other healthy mangoes out of their pots to see what the roots should look like.  They are all fine.  Thanks, doglips.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
Hi all, I posted recently about tip browning on mango leaves, and now I can't find that thread.  I appreciate all the responses.  I have just been so busy I haven't gotten back to this.  Now I have a new symptom.  Sudden wilt of new growth and stem shriveling on this same tree.  I staked it up thinking I'd forgotten to water, but watering didn't help so I'm wondering if this is a sign of drowning.  My other mangoes (seedlings) have never done this.  In the meantime, the old leaves continue to brown, and the leaf stems are shriveling.  TIA!  Also any tips on what size to use when posting a photo?

To find your old posts, click on your username and on the left side click show posts. You should be able to see all of your old posts.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:22:51 AM »
Mist the leaves frequently and keep it in a humid environment.  You could even clear bag (dry cleaning) the whole tree depending on the size. Ventilate it, so the other bad stuff doesn't set up shop, but you want to try and keep the leaves as hydrated as possible until it can grow fresh roots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk