Author Topic: Flying Dragon Trifoliate Orange: Seeds + General Questions  (Read 2003 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Flying Dragon Trifoliate Orange: Seeds + General Questions
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »
Hey, new to the forum.

I recently ordered a Flying Dragon sapling online (supposed to be roughly 1ft tall already) and am looking to eventually use its seeds to plant more rootstock for eventual grafting. I live in a Very northern climate so they are container bound. I am wondering if anyone has any general information on these trees as nowhere else online seems to. Also, if anyone knows the time they usually take to fruit from seed under ideal conditions (i.e. 3 years?) or just general growth vigor, how long they take to mature. I will be experimenting with these as I don't know of any other naturally occurring citrus Dwarf rootstock.

Thanks for the help in advance, anyone!

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Flying Dragon Trifoliate Orange: Seeds + General Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
FDragon is the slowest growing rootstock. It will bear fruit when it outgrows its juvenile state. This will be some years from now. Your best bet is to take really good care of it. Give it full sun, fertilize, trace elements and water. It is a dwarfing rootstock and trees grafted to it will be smaller than vigorous rootstocks such as Swingle or Carrizo. It will be the right choice for cold hardiness in your area. You said that container citrus was your choice. Since your trees will be protected in winter I would go with a more vigorous rootstock since some cold hardiness could be a trade off for a faster tree producing rootstock. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your citrus.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 03:49:49 PM »
If you have the patience go ahead. It will be years to flower, make seeds and grow rootstock then grafting then wait to make fruits. I would say the whole process 7-10 years in your zone.
You have an option to buy a fruiting tree from south, prune the roots every second year or so, you will eat fruits faster. You overwinter the trees indoor anyway so you don't need super cold hardiness.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
I believe I still have a few fast trifoliata seedlings I can sell. They already bloomed this past spring. IM me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:54:39 AM by Laaz »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Little disappointed knowing it takes so long, but that's alright I have patience. Are there any other citrus used as rootstock that dwarves that's more vigorous? Also Laaz I did message you earlier after seeing your post!

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
FDragon is the slowest growing rootstock. It will bear fruit when it outgrows its juvenile state. This will be some years from now. Your best bet is to take really good care of it. Give it full sun, fertilize, trace elements and water. It is a dwarfing rootstock and trees grafted to it will be smaller than vigorous rootstocks such as Swingle or Carrizo. It will be the right choice for cold hardiness in your area. You said that container citrus was your choice. Since your trees will be protected in winter I would go with a more vigorous rootstock since some cold hardiness could be a trade off for a faster tree producing rootstock. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your citrus.

Also where would I be able to obtain such rootstocks?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 08:53:31 PM »
Seed for Swingle (my chioce for a multi purpose rootstock) can be had on the forum. Lots of folks have seed to trade, buy or sell. Post in the WANTED adds and someone will answer you. I have standard poncirus available...not as slow growing as FD but still a slow growing rootstock. I see that Lazz has fast blooming poncirus. Post in the trade, buy, sell of:
http://www.citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com
Swingle is a vigorus, fast growing rootstock but it is by no means a dwarfing rootstock. The two terms....fast growing and dwarfing are pretty much not available in citrus rootstock. If you must have dwarfing and cold hardy FD is pretty much what will meet your demands.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:02:29 PM by Bomand »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 09:54:55 PM »
Seed for Swingle (my chioce for a multi purpose rootstock) can be had on the forum. Lots of folks have seed to trade, buy or sell. Post in the WANTED adds and someone will answer you. I have standard poncirus available...not as slow growing as FD but still a slow growing rootstock. I see that Lazz has fast blooming poncirus. Post in the trade, buy, sell of:
http://www.citrusgrowersv2.proboards.com
Swingle is a vigorus, fast growing rootstock but it is by no means a dwarfing rootstock. The two terms....fast growing and dwarfing are pretty much not available in citrus rootstock. If you must have dwarfing and cold hardy FD is pretty much what will meet your demands.

Alright, thank you for the info. I will see what comes out of it! I really do appreciate it, still rather new to this stuff and cant find a lot of help up in Wisconsin ha.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 07:57:22 AM »
These are the seedlings blooming last spring.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »
This is my mother tree, 15 years old. This is NOT flying dragon.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »
Oh wow, that's pretty awesome! 15 years old and around 6 ft full of fruit! Definitely interested in some!