Author Topic: Black sapote  (Read 3059 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Black sapote
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »
I got a seedling black sapote that is 1 1/2 years old and about 4 feet,
It has 3-4 clusters of fruit? I didn't even notice the flowers. It was suppose to be
a Silas Wood variety known for very large bland fruit. It may not hold them but
Has anyone heard of a seedling having fruit set?

jason

• HongKong
    • View Profile
Re: Black sapote
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 11:53:35 PM »

My black sapote is Less than 0.5M. There are some flowers.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »
I can't answer your question, achetadomestica, but am encouraged by your post--I just tried black sapote for the first time recently, and while mild, really enjoyed the fruit and planted its seeds. Is yours in a container? Did you fertilize, and if so, with what and on what schedule? Good luck!

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 06:47:05 AM »
Black sapote trees from seed can be either male or female I once planted a seed and it turned out to be male I didn't realize it till or 5 years later,I noticed it flowering a couple of times already but no fruit..so if you happen to get a male tree you're not going to get anything you're better off to get a grafted tree
Www.sailing-charters.org

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
Black sapote trees from seed can be either male or female I once planted a seed and it turned out to be male I didn't realize it till or 5 years later,I noticed it flowering a couple of times already but no fruit..so if you happen to get a male tree you're not going to get anything you're better off to get a grafted tree

I was told that the seedling was a Silas Wood and it's characteristics are very large
but bland fruit and it was self pollinating? I live on the edge of 9b and 10a and it can get
cold here. It hasn't lately but it will one day. I figured a self pollinating seedling was the
best way to go? Does anyone have experience with Silas Wood Black Sapote?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:58:13 PM by achetadomestica »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 05:26:23 PM »
That fruit must came from my tree as I was the only one that propagated Silas Wood at the bequest of Silas.It's the second best tasting after Reineke  for my tast but Reineke is very low yield for me

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 08:56:48 PM »
That fruit must came from my tree as I was the only one that propagated Silas Wood at the bequest of Silas.It's the second best tasting after Reineke  for my tast but Reineke is very low yield for me
I indeed got the seedling from a forum member who lives on Pine Island.
I am glad to hear it is flavorful. Do you know if it is self pollinating?

Frenchie

• Englewood FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
Have any of you heard of Black Beauty? I just planted my first black sapote and the nursery (from Pine Island) said the variety was Black Beauty. I cannot find any info on this one.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
I have never heard of a male black sapote that would not produce.  I have seen very good production in Mexico where it can get quite cold during winter nights.
Peter

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 09:12:42 PM »
How large did your plant get when it flowered? I found this response on the Daley's Nursery site.
Black sapotes can be complicated in terms of pollination and some trees will not produce flowers that are self fertile. If your tree is flowering but not setting fruit try growing another with it.

My name is Cindy

professor

• Costa Rica Guanacaste
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 11:30:26 PM »
Hello friends,  for Costa Rica I was wondering if anyone knows what the harvest season is for the black sapote when the fruits are available in the markets.  I am looking for some fresh fruit and or just the fresh seeds to plant here.

Thank you  :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 12:25:20 AM »
Reineke here seems very productive and like many black sapotes in isolation it is often seedless. I had one last week.

I haven't seen a fruitless tree but some only bear lightly.Seedlings usually dont flower that small and take a few years and are 6 or 7 feet high.
A couple of months ago I saw a whopper of a mossman variety fruit that would have been 3kg or more.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 06:01:13 PM »
I had a big - 15 ft tall cut back to 10ft every year - fruitless solo tree. After 4th year flowering without a fruit, it’s now a stump. Will graft on a dwarf tree planted same time, 3 ft all and sets loads of fruits from the first time it flowered b

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »
Professor, I’ve never seen black sapote at a market in Costa Rica.  That doesn’t mean it doesn’t occurr.  But it’s mostly unknown here I think.  I’d be interested to hear if it shows up in Guanacaste somewhere.  I’ve never seen it in Orotina where it would produce well.  Oaxaca is the place for black sapote.
Peter

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 05:59:49 PM »
Here's a shot of my 2 year old tree and one of the two fruits.
The fruit has turned light green and is getting slightly soft?
When is it ready?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 05:55:11 AM »
The fruit is mature when the calyxes come up off the fruit.  Then, you have to let it look rotten for it to be perfectly ripe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93sWdOP9hs

professor

• Costa Rica Guanacaste
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »
Hello Peter,  apparently they have them regularly at the San Isidro market but that's quite a trip for me, maybe 7 hours one way.  This is a great look at that market and what they have... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCW_Tce9nCo    I'm going to check out the Liberia Feria tomorrow or Friday to see if I can find them if they are even in season still.  One guy here bought some at the San Isidro market on Oct. 31st, so I think I still have a shot at getting some for seeds if they send any up this way.  Also I'm looking to plant some Jackfruit "Yaka" also so maybe I can find that also.  My elevation is only 800' but I am growing cacao so my rain is enough and so hoping I can grow the black sapote.  I am growing the red sapote, the Mamey sapote, sapodillia, and one other larger local variety (not sure of name) and they all are growing very well here.

Professor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk