Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170758 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #475 on: February 22, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
Yah, mine took 9 - 10 years before it puped out its first fruit. Although, I surely could have gotten it to fruit sooner had I paid more attention to it. Currently out of town, but will snap some pics when I return.

My experience while keeping up with the thread headline.
I gave up on it. Slower than mangosteen, stays tiny forever it seems. Every few months gets completely overwhelmed by other vegetation. In my case not worth the effort, but maybe different story for someone planting in well maintained lawn.
Jeff  :-)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 22, 2019, 11:29:44 PM »
Got seeds directly from Luc in June of 2015. Seeing the first flowers on the tree today (2/11/19)-- so just under 4 years. Tree planted in full sun here on the North Shore of Oahu with irrigation when it gets dry. I actually planted two trees in one hole but only see flowers on one of them for now. Somehow the flowers managed to stay on despite the 50-60 mph winds we had here yesterday. 

Excellent job
Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 05, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »
Got a little over a dozen fruits on mine. It flowers non-stop, there are small fruits and flowers on the tree currently in addition to the big ones shown below. How big do these things get?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #478 on: March 05, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
Looks great, congrats! Juding from photo that Luc posted comparing it to achachairu, the Mexican fruit can get quite big. Almost the size of a tennis ball.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 05, 2019, 05:05:56 PM »
Thanks! Tennis ball sized? Yikes!

Looks great, congrats! Juding from photo that Luc posted comparing it to achachairu, the Mexican fruit can get quite big. Almost the size of a tennis ball.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #480 on: March 05, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »
Thanks! Tennis ball sized? Yikes!

Yup! Look at this old post and photo from Raul comparing size of achachairu next to Mexican garcinia, and he also compares their flavors:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25182.msg295031#msg295031
Oscar

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 06, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
I decided to up-pot my lucs grafted onto lemon drop today.  It hadn't done much in the past several months.  I think I know why now.  The tap root had wound round the bottom of the pot one full circle and was well on its way to complete a second trip around. 
I wasn't sure what to do though I know I couldn't keep the tap root the way it was.  I didn't know if trying to straighten it out would work.  I too most of it off and re-potted in a slightly larger pot.  I will keep a close eye on it and will try to get it in the ground within the next month or so.
I understand from posts by others that they like shade, at least while young, but since it is going into its permanent home (if it lives) should I put it in full sun and make some share for it until it establishes?  any suggestions on what to do to give this plant a chance is welcome.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:08:49 PM by Orkine »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #482 on: April 06, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »
I decided to up-pot my lucs grafted onto lemon drop today.  It hadn't done much in the past several months.  I think I know why now.  The tap root had wound round the bottom of the pot one full circle and was well on its way to complete a second trip around. 
I wasn't sure what to do though I know I couldn't keep the tap root the way it was.  I didn't know if trying to straighten it out would work.  I too most of it off and re-potted in a slightly larger pot.  I will keep a close eye on it and will try to get it in the ground within the next month or so.
I understand from posts by others that they like shade, at least while young, but since it is going into its permanent home (if it lives) should I put it in full sun and make some share for it until it establishes?  any suggestions on what to do to give this plant a chance is welcome.

Looks like you've already cut the circling tap root off the plant? Obviously was in that pot too long. I would put it into the ground after trimming tap root, and put a shade cloth over it until it adapts to outdoors.
Oscar

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2019, 01:57:36 AM »
I just have my daughter paint the Microkote on the insides of all my pots (she receives payment in full). That stuff works wonders. ZERO root circling. Everything I've either up-potted or planted has taken off like gangbusters. I will fall on my sword in regards to Luc's Garcinia...Nothing I've tried, has worked to speed things along.
-Chris

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 07, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »

Looks like you've already cut the circling tap root off the plant? Obviously was in that pot too long. I would put it into the ground after trimming tap root, and put a shade cloth over it until it adapts to outdoors.
Yes, I cut it off.

I am thinking that when I do put it in the ground I will plant a seed or seedling with its tap root intact next to it in the save hole and approach graft them later, perhaps a second root system will help.  Has anyone done this? 

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 07, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »

Yes, I cut it off.

I am thinking that when I do put it in the ground I will plant a seed or seedling with its tap root intact next to it in the save hole and approach graft them later, perhaps a second root system will help.  Has anyone done this?

Nah ur good..i root pruned this thrice and still growing fine on a 5 gal.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 12, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »
Are these supposed to be sub-acid? The couple I've had so far have been really sweet but with no detectable acidity.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 12, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »
Are these supposed to be sub-acid? The couple I've had so far have been really sweet but with no detectable acidity.

I remember Raul mentioned that if u want with sub-acid u go with the sharpie variety..

I suppose u have the regular luc variety. How does it taste compare to mangosteen and what fruit is it comparable to? Like an improved achaacha?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
Ahh darnit. I wanted tart. As for flavor comparisons, too early to say. I've only ever had a couple of mangosteens that I got at an asian market.

I remember Raul mentioned that if u want with sub-acid u go with the sharpie variety..

I suppose u have the regular luc variety. How does it taste compare to mangosteen and what fruit is it comparable to? Like an improved achaacha?

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #489 on: April 13, 2019, 12:09:04 AM »

Does anyone know about this?

Do the leaves look different? Do the fruits look different?

Do you specify which you'd like to Raul when ordering or something?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 13, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »
OK this one had more acidity to it. I think I let the others ripen too long. Seed to flesh ratio isn't quite what I was hoping for. The 2 seeds were huge on this one. Flavor is quite good though.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 13, 2019, 01:47:03 PM »

the Sharpie is not more tart but more intense flavors either sweet and tart, level of sweetness depends on ripeness yellow hard will be sweet /tart with crunchy tart skin, fully ripe and soft only sweet no crunchy skin...
El verde es vida!

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »
Wow Jeff - congrats !! I haven’t been on the forum for awhile , Happily surprised to see your Lucs fruiting so well !

My Lucs is putting on size, no fruit growing so far this year.  Over 10’ tall.

Seems as yours is genetically more prolific.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 15, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
Here is mine currently.  No fruit or flowers.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2019, 07:40:55 PM »

Beauty! 
Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 15, 2019, 09:12:30 PM »
Thanks! Mine is somewhere around 6 - 7 feet tall but over 10 years old.

Wow Jeff - congrats !! I haven’t been on the forum for awhile , Happily surprised to see your Lucs fruiting so well !

My Lucs is putting on size, no fruit growing so far this year.  Over 10’ tall.

Seems as yours is genetically more prolific.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 16, 2019, 05:24:07 AM »

With such a gorgeous and healthy tree i would never be worried about flowering or fruiting, it's just a metter of time and it will be HEAVY
Lorenzo

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »

the Sharpie is not more tart but more intense flavors either sweet and tart, level of sweetness depends on ripeness yellow hard will be sweet /tart with crunchy tart skin, fully ripe and soft only sweet no crunchy skin...

Thanks for the clarification, Raul.

Will be happy to see u post photos of the lucs species once u go there.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2019, 11:01:07 PM »
When planting luc’s garcinia seeds do they come true to type?

Wondering if possible approach could be to sell people seeds for establishing rootstock, then sell scions of mother trees with the known characteristics to people that 1) agree to be listed in a directory as a grafter on here, and 2) can establish a replica to size for budwood that can then sell at premium. This would accomplish a few things including shortening the long wait time to fruit which everyone moans about, decreasing any variation in fruit quality (it seems Jeff’s fruit is different that the famed “tennis ball”), also help spread the awareness of this fruit around the world faster thus realizing maximum use benefit.

Just a thought 🤔,

-Joep450

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2019, 11:24:18 PM »
one of the trees here, about 12y old, stunted from cold weather, and taking many scions over the years....is about 6ft tall now, and holding several small fruits...all the flowers so far have been androgynous, i have not seen a full male flower.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com