Author Topic: Lanzones or Langsat and Caimito or starapple?  (Read 2026 times)

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Lanzones or Langsat and Caimito or starapple?
« on: December 16, 2017, 12:09:21 AM »
So I am very happily married into a Filipino family that tells me tales of great fruit that they used to eat all the time in the Philippines. I want to test the waters of what can be grown in my zone and try and grow some of the tropical varieties that my wife's family grow up with. Has anyone in Southern California had any success growing the above varieties? I am willing to go to almost any length to get these trees established in the first couple years. Has anyone been successful? 
Erik

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Lanzones or Langsat and Caimito or starapple?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 01:09:14 AM »
well, since you live near a canyon, I would not reccomend growing such fruits, as they are better suited to the coast or the hilly regions. Longkongs/Langsats seem relatively hardy so far, star apples will suffer damage easily at 40 degrees and below. If I were in your situation I'd either a)move to a better location b)grow them in a greenhouse and c) grow the various delicious stone fruits available. I'd rate the langsat around the same as mahogany trees in terms of hardiness. It does seem to make a good houseplant

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 02:30:10 AM »
Some forum members in Chula Vista, in southernmost San Diego county, and some in Orange county have managed to fruit starapple. Nobody, as yet, has been succesful in fruiting langsat in California.
Oscar

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:58:23 AM »
I am familiar with Trabuco Canyon. I would never want to crap on someones vision but with the dryness and altitude (cold) it would be extremely difficult to grow- nevertheless fruit those trees in that location. Im a zone denier to an extent, but you will have to do so much to boost the temps in your yard that you may not fiscally (big $) be able to do so. I wish you good luck. Anything can be accomplished if you have a big heart and big pockets. Chris
-Chris