Author Topic: Possible Chermoya tasting event with the University of California Ag. Division.  (Read 4493 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
They've been holding this event the past few years. They also held the Pitaya festival this year already.Their Persimmon event was canceled because of the weather and lack of fruit produced.

I just spoke with one of their representives over the phone. They are looking to have this Cherimoya tasting event in January oR February, but it may also be canceled depending on the Weather and how much Fruit they have becuase of Southern California's crazy season this year.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:03:41 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Definitely worth attending, if it happens!
James

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
And Clay....where would they hold it if it happens?

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
And Clay....where would they hold it if it happens?

Gary

You know what Gary...I didn't ask that LMFAO...

But she said stay posted to the calendar which is public on their website...She has also said to check with your local CRFG chapter if you'rea member....I'm part of the San Diego chapter...sad to say I haven't attended one meeting   :-[
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

emegar

• View Profile
They hold it each year at the uc south coast research and extension center in irvine (same place as the dragonfruit and persimmon tastings).
James

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
They hold it each year at the uc south coast research and extension center in irvine (same place as the dragonfruit and persimmon tastings).

I didn't realize they're the same people that did the Pitaya festival and Persimmon tasting until I called...

Maybe we can request in a large number by *popular demand* if they will add top variety mangos to their program and 1 day future tastings. I know Warren was talking about getting something like this setup.....I believe if anyone had the proper backing, funds, and resources, it would probably be the University of California who clearly is already holding similar events.

emegar

• View Profile
Clay,

You need to understand that the fruit crops planted at the south coast station are there because they were part of uc researchers projects, paid for by research grants. The field day for cherimoyas (and persimmons & avocados, I believe) only exist because volunteers have maintained the test plots and use the proceeds from the field days to keep them going. If new research projects needed the space, these trees would likely be bulldozed. Unless an agricultural researcher from the uc system sees a future in commercial mango production here in socal and designs a research project that receives funding, a mango test plot is highly unlikely, however cool it would be.
James

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Clay,

You need to understand that the fruit crops planted at the south coast station are there because they were part of uc researchers projects, paid for by research grants. The field day for cherimoyas (and persimmons & avocados, I believe) only exist because volunteers have maintained the test plots and use the proceeds from the field days to keep them going. If new research projects needed the space, these trees would likely be bulldozed. Unless an agricultural researcher from the uc system sees a future in commercial mango production here in socal and designs a research project that receives funding, a mango test plot is highly unlikely, however cool it would be.

Hopes and Dreams.....smashed....Proceeds to open the Wine Bottle.

emegar

• View Profile
So sorry!
James

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
I was there last year. It was great, there were about 20 different types, and some were very delicious. Others were too sweet, or the texture was off, but it was worth the drive from San Diego. Only thing I didn't like was they wouldn't tell us what any of the varieties were, although they promised to later. So if you go, write down the numbers you like so you can remember them when they finally decided to release the list.... I'm still waiting, and not sure I recommend my favorite. There was one that really stood out!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I was there last year. It was great, there were about 20 different types, and some were very delicious. Others were too sweet, or the texture was off, but it was worth the drive from San Diego. Only thing I didn't like was they wouldn't tell us what any of the varieties were, although they promised to later. So if you go, write down the numbers you like so you can remember them when they finally decided to release the list.... I'm still waiting, and not sure I recommend my favorite. There was one that really stood out!

How odd!  What's the point of attending a fruit tasting if they don't tell you what the varieties are?
John

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile

How odd!  What's the point of attending a fruit tasting if they don't tell you what the varieties are?

I believe this the blind tastings are to rule out preference, favoritism, How good it looks in size and shape, which might interferes with the true results....It's been proven that those factors can ruin true results of tasting....That way each variety has a fare shot....They post the results later on for everybody....All this does is keep the Tasting Honest....It seems El Bumpo takes home the crown in the Flavor dept. year after year though.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
El bumpo is easy to recognize even with a small piece of fruit. Plus it's pretty well known for being a favorite year after year so people tend to point out to others which one it is. I would give more weight to the new tasters when it comes to the tastings. They don't know which is which and only has taste to lean on. Even better if they don't know anybody, so they won't be influenced when people say X is the best. Although names like deliciosa is a problem.

Taste test is done to find the mass appeal. If your choices matches with the final result, it means you have totally average taste, which is good. You will like what everybody else likes. If you're some sort of super taster, then you'll not like what most people like, which becomes a problem for you trying find good tasting food.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
this year has been a disaster for me. most my cherimoyas are falling down due to early ripening, plus its not ripening the way it should hence lacks the creamy texture. Cherimoya need colder weather to hold its quality into Jan.

I am not sure how other folks in So Cal are doing, I think cherimoyas are coming in earlier than normal this year. I would not be shocked if tasting is called off at CRFG for this season due to lack of fruits.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
I find it Odd...everywhere else is getting extreme Cold Temps all across the U.S. Marks getting low 20's already in Texas...Meanwhile were getting this weird funky Heat Waves into November in Socal.....Not that my Mangos aren't complaining....

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
this year has been a disaster for me. most my cherimoyas are falling down due to early ripening, plus its not ripening the way it should hence lacks the creamy texture. Cherimoya need colder weather to hold its quality into Jan.

I am not sure how other folks in So Cal are doing, I think cherimoyas are coming in earlier than normal this year. I would not be shocked if tasting is called off at CRFG for this season due to lack of fruits.

A grower I know is saying otherwise. Quote "Even the non-sellable "reject" moyas I've been eating off of the trees have been excellent.". No name.
Thera

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
It depends on location and variety I guess. Ask JF how bad his season is. San Diego is doing great I heard.  I have not seen our mangoes flush this much ever either.