Author Topic: Cherimoya Season 2019 (So Cal)  (Read 10454 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Cherimoya Season 2019 (So Cal)
« on: October 29, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »
Well, we are there folks, Cherimoya in my yard are sizing up, some trees are behind others, but I expect small crop enough to taste, not a bumper crop given every year I get burned out fruits due to intense heat waves, plus I did not have enough time to pollinate them. I got Nata, Sabor, Helmut, Orton, Pierce, Campas, Campus, Behl, Deliciousa fruited. All others either burned out or dropped.

now with heat waves gone, cold temps on cards are excellent for Anona sizing up and sweetness. just pray we dont get rain for another 6 weeks, otherwise with cold temp and rain, fruits would split.

how is your garden looking for Anonas?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya Season 2019 (So Cal)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:35:25 PM »
Behl, I picked a couple knights over the weekend.  Had one today, was nice 26brix, it has a great flavor and not too many  seeds.  This is the first year my trees are making a good crop.

Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:44:49 PM »
Awesome Brad, love when you get good variety with fewer seeds. Early anonas are always not up to par. I cant wait for Helmut, sabor, pierce, and Behl from my yard, these are always exceptional.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:43:30 PM »
My fruit are sizing up finally, they were growing and then stayed about the same size for about 6 weeks and are now starting to grow again. I didn’t think as much as I was planning to so I think my fruit may be smaller this year.

Simon

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:19:03 PM »
I must have picked Big Sister too early, it was only average, and had some grit.
It was large and beginning to yellow. I will begin shaking the fruit.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
 10 or so fruits have ripened up now with more that need to be picked.  Some of them had fallen off the tree and the stem pulled out.  But they were perfectly ripe.  Todays was super good with brix of 26 and tropical bubble gum flavor.  Also tastes like a white sugar tropical version of sapodilla.  Similar sweetness level and texture with more acid and tropical flavor.  Thats the best description I can come up for someone who hasnt had them before. 

I like to cut it like this and de seed it so the seeds dont slow down the indulgence.

Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »
great Brad, what variety? I had exceptional and mediocre helmut. my top notch flavors kick in mid Dec onwards.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
Honeyharts and knight.  Although now I am questioning the knight variety.  It looks the same as honeyhart and is earlier than the other trees.  Chaffey and fino de jete are almost ready then dr whites will take longer it looks like.  Im really liking the knight and honeyhart fruits.  They are consistently 25+ brix, juicy, strong flavor, fairly low to reasonable seed count.  Both trees are vigorous and produced a lot of fruit.  I had some other lavern trees mislabeled so Im thinking the knight is maybe actually a honeyhart.  It is smoother exterior than pierce. Looks just like the honeyhart fruits. 
Brad Spaugh

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 01:32:08 AM »
This year, the rats found my cherimoya.  They ate almost all of my fruits and a lot of them are immature.  I manage to kill a couple rats.  I am very disappointed because i was going to send them out to some friends.   >:(   Lucky i picked my big El Bumpo cherimoya before they started eating them.  The strangest part, they have not touch my african pride or others atemoya.  There is also a video of me eating my almost 4 lbs el Bumpo.

https://youtu.be/s1Vmc3MyMtA

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 01:42:39 AM »
Here are two Behl and it have a more acidic flavor.  It is very good. 

This knight was beautiful but not ready.  I had to cut down because a rat was eating it.  Flavor is excellent but gad a lot of grit.  I am sure it will taste better if i let it sit longer. 

Deliciosa was a bomb of explosion of flavor and chew.  My wife likes the chewy part.  Rate took a bit out of both fruits and the fruit was tiny. 

I have not try this yet.  It may be Lahabra sun from JF.

Concha lisa was great.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 01:51:47 AM »
I am waiting for this Aussie mature.

Here is a picture of a “Lisa Atemoya” that I got from Lynn.  Clearly it is not a Lisa atemoya but more of a giffner.

Birula from frank.

Dream from Sacramento

Randhir from frank.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:37:18 AM by Mikey »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 02:20:29 AM »
Excellent Micky. mine are dropping like flies. With current cold we will stop drop and here comes cracking

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »
Nice bumpo Mikey
Brad Spaugh

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 01:32:32 AM »
About 2 years ago, i asked Steve from exotica for a cherimoya that taste like a Vietnamese sugar apple.   He went to his green house and gave me an 8 inches seedlings for $20.   He said I will enjoy it and it tastes great when he ate it before planting the seeds and i won’t regret it.

Now it fruited and i had to pick the fruit early because the rats have been eating my cherimoya.  The fruit are about the size of a lemon or small orange.   It did not get bigger like my atemoya graft on it. 

My first bite, it was like my mouth knew the flavors.  It did not taste like a cherimoya, it lacks the acid and banana/pineapple flavors of a typical cherimoya.  It was chewy like a Dai Na and not too sweet.  It taste like a sugar apple with guava flavors.  There is a resin after taste like the resin of an unripe guava that is pick too early and force to ripe.  The flesh around the seed was more chewy then the firm texture of the fruit.  It was meaty and custard.  It have no overly sweet taste of a cherimoya/sugar apple.  It peels like a sugar apple and have no gritty taste.

Overall, this is a must have and it provide a different flavor profile to my annonas collection.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:36:21 AM by Mikey »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »
Hey Mikey and others I was going to have a few friends over to try some cherimoyas this coming friday or saturday.  If anyone wants to come and has some annonas to contribute send me a message.  Im about to go pick a bunch of fruit this morning. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »
Hey Mikey and others I was going to have a few friends over to try some cherimoyas this coming friday or saturday.  If anyone wants to come and has some annonas to contribute send me a message.  Im about to go pick a bunch of fruit this morning.
Okay, I'm flying in for the weekend.  (Just kidding.)
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
Okay, I'm flying in for the weekend.  (Just kidding.)

Southwest is calling. 

Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 05:28:07 PM »
Here is my small LH Sun

Your fruit of Lisa looks like fruit from a cross of Lisa and AP.
I call it LAP.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 03:37:43 AM »

The rats got all of my cherimoya.  I have work all day Friday and Saturday.  U guys go and enjoy the fruits of your labor.  I will contribute next year as soon as i find a way to kill these rats without getting a cat.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 11:21:43 AM »
I had two Shlome (I think that is how its spelled) drop, these are must have and I rate them as good as Pierce, and with fewer seeds. seeds were dark black, total 10 seeds in 12 oz fruit which is amazing. had flavor profile of banana vannila custard with decent acidity, brix was 29. I forgot to take pic, will do so on the next one

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
I have one very small fruit on my Geffner, and four on my Knight (I think one is cross pollinated with atemoya pollen). One is of good size, maybe a pound, the rest pretty small (like lime sized). No issues with pests, I bagged all of them with the little jewelry bags.

Hoping next weeks' cooling doesn't harm their progress. Going to drag the trees in their pots under the deck for the coldest part of the week.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »
I had two Shlome (I think that is how its spelled) drop, these are must have and I rate them as good as Pierce, and with fewer seeds. seeds were dark black, total 10 seeds in 12 oz fruit which is amazing. had flavor profile of banana vannila custard with decent acidity, brix was 29. I forgot to take pic, will do so on the next one

Shalom cherimoya is in GRIN and it’s not top tier. I’ve had report that it fruits in Miami but I have not been able to confirm it. Steve mislabel that var it’s probably Best or Helmet in Exotica.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
I have helmut, ours best, and shalome, all three from Exotica that I harvested myself. Now what Steve claimed slalome not to be it, then wonder what it is, but its excellent. Some lucky folks on this forum were sent that as a freebie, I hope they didnt throw it away

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
I have helmut, ours best, and shalome, all three from Exotica that I harvested myself. Now what Steve claimed slalome not to be it, then wonder what it is, but its excellent. Some lucky folks on this forum were sent that as a freebie, I hope they didnt throw it away

Steve smokes so much ganja he has no idea what he has.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
Fank and behl you guys are welcome to join us on Saturday 11/30/2019 10:30am.  I will have a bunch of fruit and Simon and some other forum members are coming to try cherimoyas and other fruit.
Brad Spaugh