Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 962569 times)

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1550 on: February 18, 2016, 02:52:38 AM »
Guys, i can only grow DF in containers using Vietnamese method... How big the container should be? How many cutting I can plant in each one?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 18, 2016, 03:11:21 AM »
Guys, i can only grow DF in containers using Vietnamese method... How big the container should be? How many cutting I can plant in each one?
You mean the umbrella shape?
Will you allow roots to go into the soil -> 1 gallon pot can be enough, larger if you want.
Will you not allow roots to go into the soil -> 15 gallon pot is good, although it's too deep. Maybe fill it 2/3 full.

1 plant will fill the 15 gallon pot with its roots, more plants means they will have to share the same space. You may want to use a larger container or let the roots go into the soil below.

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 25, 2016, 05:37:48 AM »
I know that I can go through the 63 pages of this thread and find the answer, but it will take ages to do that.

Some fruit on my dragonfruit plant changed colour more than a week ago.  They are bigger than a man's fist.  Bigger than my two fists together.  They are pink, but with a bit of green colour underneath.  It is our first fruit from our own garden.

How do I know when it is the right time to harvest?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #1553 on: February 25, 2016, 01:51:56 PM »
I know that I can go through the 63 pages of this thread and find the answer, but it will take ages to do that.
Some fruit on my dragonfruit plant changed colour more than a week ago.  They are bigger than a man's fist.  Bigger than my two fists together.  They are pink, but with a bit of green colour underneath. It is our first fruit from our own garden.
How do I know when it is the right time to harvest?

Sounds like they are ready.  Pick a couple, cool in refrigerator, and taste.  :)

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »
Thanks.  I will do that in a day or two then.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 26, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
does anyone know how to differentiate purple haze from other dragon fruit? i have four in a pot and my labels all rubbed off except for one.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
Dragon fruit identification
« Reply #1556 on: February 28, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »
Most of the colored hybrids are very hard to distinguish from each other until the fruit shows up. It might be possible to tell you which ones are NOT Purple Haze if you post pics of the plants and what types you were told you received. Ive got anywhere from 6-12 types of fruit growing at my house, and that number varies from season to season because one year the fruit all comes out basically the same and the next I swear someone's been sneaking in different plants into my garden. Its a simple enough deal (at least right now, with the common varieties) to narrow down some specific types, like Undatus vs Coastaricensis vs Megalanthus, etc., but you almost need a degree in botany to tell close cousins apart, like Sugar Dragon vs Voodoo Child, or Delight vs Physical Graffiti.
Best thing you can do, if you still need the assist, is post a couple picks and see if anyone can pick out your plants. If nothing else, it will give us something to discuss for a few days.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon fruit identification
« Reply #1557 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:13 AM »
...you almost need a degree in botany to tell close cousins apart, like Sugar Dragon vs Voodoo Child, or Delight vs Physical Graffiti.

Guess for me it does not really matter until I need to ensure cross pollination!
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

UniqueFruitCollector

• Going to Australia and PNG soon!
    • Germay - Lower Saxony - Zone 7b / Cfb
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 12, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »
1,120 kg dragonfruit ::) :o

! No longer available
- Max

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
Tools of the trade...
« Reply #1559 on: March 17, 2016, 07:28:40 PM »
I just wanted to show you guys some pictures of one of the things I use for working with my dragon fruit (since theres not much going on right now)

This is my pollen dehydrator. I use it to prep my pollen before I freeze it for storage. Its a room temperature unit, as heat is bad for pollen, and it extracts moisture by using silica gel packets (which I'm out of) in the top chamber. Moderate air flow from the fan and good desiccant gives me top notch pollen in about 8 hours, so I usually run it overnight, and I use 149 micron mesh to keep the pollen in place but the air moving through. Its a neat little gizmo and has done me well since I built it.
BTW, that's a sample of last years pollen in the pics. I have yet to see any flowers or buds on my plants this year.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: March 17, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Is drying the pollen a good thing? I thought the pollen has its own viability period that's enhanced by refrigeration and retaining the moisture inside a container. I mean, if drying helps, you could just leave it open in the fridge to remove the moisture.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 17, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
You don't want to freeze 'wet' pollen. Ice crystals form and damage the cellular structure. I cant 'flash freeze' the pollen, a commercial process that prevents crystals, so I dry it out as best as I can first. Ive been able to use 6 month old pollen this way.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 17, 2016, 09:47:51 PM »
Wow. That's very good!

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 13, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »
Is it better to grow multiple cuttings per container? Would they compete for space?
Anisha

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 13, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »
Is it better to grow multiple cuttings per container? Would they compete for space?

I have done it both ways; single rooted cutting per container, 2 - 3 rooted cuttings per container. I have not noticed any difference. I can tell you that I have seen growers successfully grow single rooted cuttings in only 5 gallon nursery containers.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 13, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »

I have done it both ways; single rooted cutting per container, 2 - 3 rooted cuttings per container. I have not noticed any difference. I can tell you that I have seen growers successfully grow single rooted cuttings in only 5 gallon nursery containers.

Thanks! That's some relief. I am fighting for space and will keep 2-3 cuttings per 15 gallon pot.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 13, 2016, 12:32:22 PM »
1,120 kg dragonfruit ::) :o

Heh. In the U.S. the comma is used as a thousands separator, so I read that as a dragonfruit weighing just over a metric ton :D
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 14, 2016, 08:48:09 PM »

Ugh... The disappointment in finding rot on your dragonfruit cutting 😢
I planted this in sep of last year and have yet to see any new growth, so I thought it was root bound and decided to repor it. Low and behold the bottom 1 1/2 inch has turned mushy. Why!!?? 😢
So I removed the soft part and so far have it outside in the shade curing the ends.

My question is , should I cut the bottom off? I see so roots but I don't think it's dead. Should I leave it or cut it?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 14, 2016, 09:48:32 PM »

I planted this in sep of last year and have yet to see any new growth, so I thought it was root bound and decided to repor it. Low and behold the bottom 1 1/2 inch has turned mushy. Why!!?? 😢
So I removed the soft part and so far have it outside in the shade curing the ends.

My question is , should I cut the bottom off? I see so roots but I don't think it's dead. Should I leave it or cut it?

My pick is to leave it.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 14, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »
Sandy, it looks okay with the bare cane. The bottom tends to away with age anyway. The center cane is the real trunk.

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 14, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »

My pick is to leave it.

Thank you Rick! I'll leave and plant it agin once the ends have cured.  😊

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 14, 2016, 11:07:41 PM »
Sandy, it looks okay with the bare cane. The bottom tends to away with age anyway. The center cane is the real trunk.

Thank you! I'm glad I didn't cut it on impulse.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 14, 2016, 11:47:08 PM »
Eventually all the soft tissue below soil level rots away. That core should eventually gain girth and put out more and more complex root systems, which will support the plant under natural conditions. Remember, the nicely shaped and organized plants you see in peoples gardens aren't even close to how these plants grow in the wild. In fact, unstable supports and surfaces is key to this plant's survival in the wild. Its why it developed the ability to reproduce from cuttings, being able to propagate from the limbs broken off from damage or poor support.
But, back to your plant. You should be able to put that baby in a starter pot right away and get things going.

Sandy.L

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 15, 2016, 12:38:40 AM »
Eventually all the soft tissue below soil level rots away. That core should eventually gain girth and put out more and more complex root systems, which will support the plant under natural conditions. Remember, the nicely shaped and organized plants you see in peoples gardens aren't even close to how these plants grow in the wild. In fact, unstable supports and surfaces is key to this plant's survival in the wild. Its why it developed the ability to reproduce from cuttings, being able to propagate from the limbs broken off from damage or poor support.
But, back to your plant. You should be able to put that baby in a starter pot right away and get things going.

Thank you!  😊

When I replant it should I have only the middle core in soil or should I also have at least an inch of the flesh in soil?

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 15, 2016, 03:06:33 AM »
put an inch or 2 in the soil, to help keep it in place. Also, even in a smaller container, youre going to want to put a stick or stake to start tying the cutting to, so you can encourage vertical rowth without worrying about leaning or tipping. I use cheap black plastic pots, the one gallon size, once the plant has roots. Thinner and flimsier the better. That way when I'm ready to upgrade into the large, final growing container (or ground), I can easily cut away the pot with scissors or a sharp knife, and not have to try and pull the root ball out of the pot. Cactus roots can be very soft so you can do a lot of damage if you put too much pressure on them during transplant.
At least you have time to determine how you are going to set up your final support for your plant(s) now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk