Author Topic: Atemoya Pruning?  (Read 2061 times)

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
Atemoya Pruning?
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »
I've heard atemoya will start new branches if you pull off some leaves. I've just bought a geffner atemoya that came with a bunch of leaf damage for shipping so I pulled most off.

I'm thinking I should just pug the tree to get it to grow a bit more bushy, right now it's pretty lanky and not much for leaves on it anyway. What do you guys suggest?

Droshi

• View Profile
Re: Atemoya Pruning?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
Hm, maybe I should say "aggressive pruning" to around 3ft. Was hoping to encourage lower branches to start, or should I just leave it alone and see what happens in 6mo?

I've read most people say they prune in April-May time, so maybe I'll wait till then to do anything drastic.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »
I'd wait, since the trunk is strong enough not to need staked. Probably wont branch until next year, but they seem very apt to branch on their own. Mine was snapped off about 6 inches above the graft last year in a wind storm. I selected a new leader, and trained it up about 4 feet. It grew no branches last year. This spring, it branched readily, I didn't even need to top it. It new has 8 or 10 branches, and has naturally stopped growing up.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
My Pet Pakchong looked the same as the one on the pic. I pruned it many times, the tip and next leave of each branch and now i got many new branches. Also on the stem.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
My Geffner wanted (and still does) to grow fan like without any branches on the sides. I gave up, trimmed the tips and planted a sugar apple that was also growing fan like nearby with the branches forming an "X" they look pretty cool now!

Regards,

Gary

Droshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »
I'm getting a lot of buds breaking now, so I'm guessing it must be doing well. Hopefully they become nice branches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk