Author Topic: Willughbeia sarawakensis  (Read 13181 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Willughbeia sarawakensis
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 04:30:35 AM »
You are one funny guy Coconut! Maybe your best chance at fame, wealth, and glory are as standup comedian?  ;)  You have lots of good one liners.
Here the landolphia seems to do better also than willughbeia. But the landophias i have tried are rather sour.
Oscar

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »
You are one funny guy Coconut! Maybe your best chance at fame, wealth, and glory are as standup comedian?  ;)  You have lots of good one liners.
Here the landolphia seems to do better also than willughbeia. But the landophias i have tried are rather sour.

I have the Cassamance race of Landophilia which is sweet about four years away from fruiting.  The soil here in Royal Palm Boca Raton is sugar sand as compare to an alluvial clay laterite in the blood diamond & Coltan Districts of West Africa known for sweeter landophilia Senegalisis and other Apocynaceae unknown to white missionary. I suspect the soil is what produce a sweeter fruit but its any one guess.  Hopefully in a decade I might have Willughbeia Angustifolia x  Landophilia Senegalensis Cassamance to get the brambles nature of its African arid trait with the vigour high productivity of its Asian counterparts; crossings them are not as easy as I originally thought!.  I think espalier them, trimming them like grape might offer better control & increase fruit production.  As a commercial fruit I would say three decades away to select a less precocious dwarf with preferences for full sun.  Anyway my two nephews are heading to the AfricanEquatorial Hot Zone this summer for some Governmental assignments & I told them to collect everything but the blood diamonds during their break.  Hopefully we will see something come home beside Ebola this time.😷
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »
A friend sent me some willughbeia (not sure what species) seeds a few years back...I got about 3-4 to germinate, and they grew very slow...I assume they were stunted by my neutral pH.

They are not too sensitive to cold, they must have survived 35F as small seedlings...now they're about 10 inch tall, almost 3yr old...

anyone else growing these?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:55:36 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
We have several plants with the first and second leaves coming out...maybe 4-8?inches tall.almost one year old. Very slow
I bet they need to go in the earth soon
Now the fun part..how/where to plant? recently heard Hawaii may have pollination problems. :( maybe hand pollinating.
I like the idea of espalier r Coconut.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
We have several plants with the first and second leaves coming out...maybe 4-8?inches tall.almost one year old. Very slow
Now the fun part..how/where to plant? recently heard Hawaii may have pollination problems. :( maybe hand pollinating.

Yes, exactly the same story here. Very surprised by slow growth. 4-8 inches tall with leaves not looking very healthy.  Gave them foliar feeding the other day. If they don't improve soon, I'll start forming opinion that it takes 100 years for them to fruit when they eventually turn into giant vines.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »
100yrs letshope not! :)
Indonesian members have said it has a very deep taproot...so I figure mine are at the bottom of the pot by now for sure.  Time to put in ground. But how and where! Could it be invasive?
Recently got some other liana/vine type fruit from Luc.  Immediately they were popping,  then I waited a bit too long and noticed no more growth, so I pulled it out of the shallow pot to find the roots stopped going down and just got thicker and thicker...stunted for sure.  I'm to scared to pull up willughbea sp and ch ck but I suspects it's the same trip...
How deep are your pots you have these rare liana in?

Yes, exactly the same story here. Very surprised by slow growth. 4-8 inches tall with leaves not looking very healthy.  Gave them foliar feeding the other day. If they don't improve soon, I'll start forming opinion that it takes 100 years for them to fruit when they eventually turn into giant vines.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 12:06:12 AM »
wait a second...the plants I thought were willughbeia, seem to be Annonaceous...the leaves are alternate, instead of opposite (like Apocynaceae should be)

lol, I'm excited to figure out what the heck these are....maybe some sort of Duguetia?  I remember planting those at the same time.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
Is it the coveted yara yara?
Or lancelota?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »
Is it the coveted yara yara?
Or lancelota?

not sure...I was thinking lanceolata, but I remember actually germinating those, and they looked different...

I notice the mystery plants have a prominent midrib, I don't think D. lanceolata shares this feature, maybe I'm mistaken?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »
Does this plant need male and female plants or is it self pollinating.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
100yrs letshope not! :)
Indonesian members have said it has a very deep taproot...so I figure mine are at the bottom of the pot by now for sure.  Time to put in ground. But how and where! Could it be invasive?
Recently got some other liana/vine type fruit from Luc.  Immediately they were popping,  then I waited a bit too long and noticed no more growth, so I pulled it out of the shallow pot to find the roots stopped going down and just got thicker and thicker...stunted for sure.  I'm to scared to pull up willughbea sp and ch ck but I suspects it's the same trip...
How deep are your pots you have these rare liana in?

Oh well, maybe that's the reason for slow growth. No space for tap root, because they were kept at US 1 gallon equivalent. Upgraded to much bigger bags and let's see what happens. I highly doubt they are invasive because of the rarity, slow growth, and the fact that flesh sticks to the seed. It has much bigger chance to rot in nature than sprout.
I personally would not put these anywhere in the garden. Only in a wild or private semi wild forest.

I don't know if you have such ability in US, but I buy a polythene roll of nursery bags (not cut, continuous roll). Than I buy cheap sealer. I think they were around $15. It gives you ability to make custom depth growing bags. As deep as you need. Also you make custom drainage holes on such set up.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
So what happened to the Willughbeia seedlings? I am amazed that they are so common in the Borneo jungle but almost nobody seems to grow them.
Btw, when pruning them keep in mind that they produce lots of latex which was harvested commercially before Hevea was introduced to Borneo. So pruning them might make a big mess.
And they can overgrow whole sections of a forest, here is a video about that:

https://youtu.be/Gi6bTQif7ls

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
So what happened to the Willughbeia seedlings? I am amazed that they are so common in the Borneo jungle but almost nobody seems to grow them.
Btw, when pruning them keep in mind that they produce lots of latex which was harvested commercially before Hevea was introduced to Borneo. So pruning them might make a big mess.
And they can overgrow whole sections of a forest, here is a video about that:

https://youtu.be/Gi6bTQif7ls

video is unavailable .. i did not really find any willughbeia species in my 2 visits to borneo during fruit season, although i did hear about where one is likely to find them but usually is a more remote area. where did you find them?

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 02:05:21 AM »
Strange. For me the video link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOkRPkj2o8&list=PL2AyaQ9frDUtHb18MXwDC7_hlOktohj1a

In Central Kalimantan there was a lot of W. sarawacensis in the fruit forests/rubber plantations, really easy to find. In W Sarawak there was W. elmerii, probably angustifolia and sarawacensis in various locations. Along the Rajang river trees were covered with little W. fruit but i never saw a single vine in the forest and could not try them. Also, in Sarawak W is very rare on the markets.
Where exaxtly did you go in Borneo?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »
Cool. That link seems to work

I went to Kota Kinabalu, sandakan, tenom, Miri, Serian and Kuching

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »
Never saw W in Sabah or Miri but im sure its there. Also, never saw any in the Kuching or Serian markets but there are some in the hills (Gunung Ranjan, Gunung Kubah). Even some of the Iban dont know about them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk